Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: hemisinus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: hemisinus

Hello Carol,hope you are well?I was 2nd Steward on the Hemisinus when the Rocket hit your cabin/office.Hope Ray is well.I will never forget that trip or that day.I would love to read your book .Please let me know cost and postage and details of where to send payment.
    Thanks Stewart Mulvenna.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham M Wright View Post
    I drydocked on Hemisinus in Sasebo in 1974 as 5/E. Joined in Singapore January 1973, had to have haircut before allowed into country.
    I remember you joining Graham... guess its the haircut that triggered the memory! I was one of the first trip cadets who'd been aboard since October 1973 - but we paid off before the DD after having done various out of P Bukom inc Anchorage, coast of Borneo and multiple Da Nang / Nha Trang runs (who else had a go at throwing the stun grenades while discharging cargo..........??!!)

4. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    I was a deck cadet on the Saigon Flyer in 70/71. Had my 18th birthday anchored off Vung Tao and got put on the shake in the middle of the night to weigh anchor so the Mate didn't have to get out of his pit. I don't think the Old Man liked me much! No worries, I reckon I was the best paid apprentice in the fleet on what seemed permanent double pay - about £70 a month. Luxury!!
    On my first night in Nha Be, someone dropped a percussion grenade alongside to deter divers. No one had warned me. I was out of my pit dressed and carrying a lifejacket down the alleyway when it dawned on me. Living midships over thousands of tons of mogas, avgas etc there was no way that i would be alive if it had been an explosion. I went back to bed.
    R860757

6. Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hemisinus

[I] was on the Hemisinus just after she came off the Saigon Run in 1975 and took her to scrap in Taiwan , I have plaque given by the South Vietnamese Navy for her service

8. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5