Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shell "H" boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shell "H" boats

I sailed on the Hemisinus & Hemicardium in the early 70's also on the Marisa (first trip) and later the Drupa (Lightening ship)

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post is a bit old but Joseph may read it!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Albert Evans View Post
    I was second cook and baker on the Haustrum, joined her in Curacao 18th June 61 to 1st December 1961. She was a good ship. I sailed out to Curacao as supernumary 2ndCook/Baker on the Achatina. She was an absolutely beautiful looking ship. The reason I went out there was the 2ndcook/baker on the Haustrum died on board and was taken off in Capetown. I spent 2 weeks on CUracao waitong for her to arrive. I stayed at the Salvation Army while I was there and had a wonderful time. The family running the SA treated me like family, nothing but praise for the Sallyan.

John Albert Evans.
    John, I would second that statement, I was admitted to hospital in Curacao with bad guts and was pretty ropey for first 4 / 5 days; got regular visits from SA who kept my spirits up, they brought mags, chewing gum etc. Eventually told me about another Shell guy in same hospital with broken leg, and I got moved into same room as him, turned out I knew him so made my stay a bit better (sorry I I drank all your beer Jumbo, but it would have spoiled sitting under your bed).

5. Thanks John Albert Evans thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined the Hemicardium in London on Christmas Eve 1966 as J O S. We sailed for Curacao then the east coast of the States. I was also on the Horomya, Venasa, Voluta, Marisa and a few others. Seven years with Shell and I enjoyed all my time with them.

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###only one shell tanker the hemiplecta ......after a couple of trampers she was like the ritz hotel ....steam turbine ...18 knots compared to 8 to 10 knots with a following sea on the tramps good feeder happy days ..maricaibo......down the plate ...some good ports ...tanker joes in BA oh them steaks in BA ....BA boots and jackets ..in 59 happy days looking for a yacht called gold doubloon sent sos nothing ever found i was told .......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harpula x 2
    Hemitrochus - lube oiler, ex Eagle oil, great runs and good time in port.
    Hemisinus - aka Saigon Flyer

All old, but like any vessel, hard work at keeping them good minimised problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    I'm not an old Shell man,nor indeed a tankerman , more like an old shell really,(,!)but I often went close to Pulo Bukom if that's one of the islands off Singapore.
    Yes,terribly romantic-concrete jetties,storage tanks ,high humidity, the flares,the overpowering stench of petroleum pervading the air.....the lights of Singapore with it's Raffles Singapore Slings and Bugis Street winking tantalisingly in the far distance......
    I sailed with an R/O who had been with Shell for many years.He hardly ever went ashore,but used to wax lyrically if not orgasmically about the Shell Club at Pulo Bukom....Poor chap,one of the old traditional Sparks who had joined the MN just after WWII ,then due to the rapid progress of technology would be redundant sometime in the early eighties.I like to think he would spend the rest of his days with his ever present pipe in his mouth in his garden shed in Cheltenham as a radio ham,with a call sign VOFF and 'Knock before Entering 'stencilled on the door.
    He often used to tell us how Shellmen used to have nicknames for the tankers based on alternative sounding names for the real thing.If I remember,there was Hemiatrocious for Hemitrochus ,Durex (for Murex,)what else, Doughnuts( for Donax),Sarsparilla (for Asprella),Hemisanus (for Hemisinus.)Vulvatella ( for Volvatella,)Atchootina (for Achatina) Shitala (for Sitala) and one for the sex-starved or cross dressers amongst us,High Nighties(for Hinnites) ,but you get the drift.....
    Amazing what memories can be dredged up through reading a post.

Just remembered another,there was Horrormya (for Horomya) which was probably true no doubt depending upon the outstanding maintenance job sheet.
    Hinnites was known as the honeymoon ship

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by William Stevenson View Post
    I joined the Hemicardium in London on Christmas Eve 1966 as J O S. We sailed for Curacao then the east coast of the States. I was also on the Horomya, Venasa, Voluta, Marisa and a few others. Seven years with Shell and I enjoyed all my time with them.
    I did 9 months on VOLUTA, last trip apprentice, paid off in Harlands 1970, she sailed from drydock to BA and was sold to the Argentinians.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Very good ,Tony The High Nighties again !

Re your s.t.VELUTA sold to Argentina in 1970,I see she had an amazing 27 year lifespan,from 1962 to 1989 before being given a trip to the 'wonderful' beaches of India.
    Perhaps she had been used as a storage or lightening vessel in Buenos Aires,where she had been renamed Estrella Patagonica....
    Attachment 26567 Photo courtesy of Shipspotting.com

She was a very nice ship, I believe she was the first all aft tanker in the Shell fleet (maybe first ever). Built at Smiths Haverton Hill, very well designed and laid out engine room. Good accomodation, stone fireplaces (ha ha) in officers bar , saloon and senior officers cabins . Was being built for Eagle Oil, but was bought while on stocks by Shell
    Last edited by Tony Taylor; 27th May 2018 at 09:36 PM.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joined Hadra in 1958 at Stanlow. First trip as DA went Curaçao, Argentina, Uraguay ,Nigeria loaded at Port Harcourt worst place in the world then and probably still is. Drydocked in Falmouth.Eventually paid off Shellhaven after 16 months after leaving ship in Venezwala and coming to U.K. on the gas turbine tanker Auris. Second ship Horamya went right round world from curaçao to NZ, to Gulf Rotterdam then Borneo Hong Kong many ports paid off Rouen France came home on train and ferry. No other H boats. They were hard working ships which were also hard work and even then old tech.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the AURIS from 19 August 1959 to 18 October 1959,
    From Camel Lairds after being given a new Gast Turbine engine, just went to Curacao and stayed there, I was shanghaied on a Topsail Schooner for a few weeks and the Auris was still there when I got back to Curacao, Captain Brown let me off with a logging as he was an old Sailing shoip[ man, served his apprenticeship on the Cape Horner, MONKBARNS.
    Good trip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast