Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ceramic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb ceramic

i sailed on the ceramic to nz from4/9/62 till 6/5/63 as a steward and deck steward. i remember a stan chandler, reg laing, freddie estick who went to live in aukland.there was also lenny ellis @ mate graham smith who also went to nz and became welterweight champion boxer over there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Didnt know Graham Smith ,but here are some stats on him!
    Cheers

sex male
    birth date 1943-08-07
    division welterweight
    stance orthodox
    height 5′ 10″ / 178cm
    country New Zealand
    residence Wellington, New Zealand
    birth place Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
    won 16 (KO 12) + lost 10 (KO 3) + drawn 1 = 27
    rounds boxed 188 KO% 44.44

Billy Graham
    Billy's new Academy in Naenae
    he had signed on 58 new members on the first day of opening. That is the popularity of Billy in the Hutt Valley. It is the 14th gym in the Hutt and Wellington area, which stretches up to the Wairarapa border. Pride of place is the ring which was used in the World Heavyweight fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Bugner in Malaysia.
    The gym was previously used by the Salvation Army as a Church Hall and Bill has also purchased the Church next door.

Attending the opening were many former boxers including Wally Coe, Chris Kenny, Alan Scaife, Grant Scaife, Mat Sproule, Tommy Dunn, The Plowman Brothers, Sinbad Iva, Graham Smith,and countless others.
    G Smith in this Pic but dont know which is he!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with Lennie Ellis on the Corinthic christmas 1964 what a riot the man was hillarious, I can't remember what ship I was on when he arrived in Kiwi fresh off a plane with a pal they had been popping uppers all trip and arrived in my cabin talking nineteen to the dozen ready to start their new life in Kiwi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alfie donald

Quote Originally Posted by stewart morrison View Post
    i sailed on the ceramic to nz from4/9/62 till 6/5/63 as a steward and deck steward. I remember a stan chandler, reg laing, freddie estick who went to live in aukland.there was also lenny ellis @ mate graham smith who also went to nz and became welterweight champion boxer over there.
    i worked by on the ceramic in 1965 in royal albert london over xmas and new year
    it was one of the happiest times of my sea days
    i joined the norther star and done a world cruise and then the big strike
    I WAS ASSISTANT LARDER COOK UNDER JACKO
    THE CAPTAIN WAS EDMONDS I THINK I SHOULD KNOW AS I WAS LOGGED OFTEN ENOUGH
    Last edited by alfdonald; 21st June 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO INCLUDE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my last trip to sea 1957 was on the ceramic as a/steward. nice new boat then. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Thanks

[!
    Thanks for the info Vernon dont know how you do it but you are a veritable mine of information.

sex male
    birth date 1943-08-07
    division welterweight
    stance orthodox
    height 5′ 10″ / 178cm
    country New Zealand
    residence Wellington, New Zealand
    birth place Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
    won 16 (KO 12) + lost 10 (KO 3) + drawn 1 = 27
    rounds boxed 188 KO% 44.44

Billy Graham
    Billy's new Academy in Naenae
    he had signed on 58 new members on the first day of opening. That is the popularity of Billy in the Hutt Valley. It is the 14th gym in the Hutt and Wellington area, which stretches up to the Wairarapa border. Pride of place is the ring which was used in the World Heavyweight fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Bugner in Malaysia.
    The gym was previously used by the Salvation Army as a Church Hall and Bill has also purchased the Church next door.

Attending the opening were many former boxers including Wally Coe, Chris Kenny, Alan Scaife, Grant Scaife, Mat Sproule, Tommy Dunn, The Plowman Brothers, Sinbad Iva, Graham Smith,and countless others.
    G Smith in this Pic but dont know which is he![/QUOTE]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Ceramic

Im Noel Martin and was 2 lecky (electrician) on the Ceramic 1963 & 1964 Whilst on voyage home to the UK we were in mid pacific and it was time to start maintenance on the forward winches. Whilst doing this a couple of stewards had set up a gyy in the forward port allyway which comes out onto port side forward of the bridge and they were getting up a sweat by skipping and lifting weights etc. I asked them what all this for and they said they wanted to get fit and play pro football. They worked away with their weights and us maintaining the winches and after a couple of hours or so one steward said" hey leckie want to have a go at lifting this" (weights) so I said okay Ill have a go. I had lifted weights some years prevoiusly and new they had set me up with extra weights other than what they were lifting so I tested by just lifting them slightly of the deck then I did a snatch directly above my head 3 times in a row." ****" they said how did you do that, I just laughed and went on with my work. A couple of days later a steward said to me hey leckie you didnt half piss those guys with the weightlifting I said why and they said this is too hard for us and threw the weights over the side of the ship. So somewhere in the pacific is a nice set of lifting weights.
    Last edited by Noel Martin; 21st July 2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling of forward

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re ceramic

Hi Stewart

I was a cadet on the Ceramic from 63 to 65. I rember Graham, although I didn't remeber his name it could onlyhave been him, training in the tween decks in number three hold. That was where the passageway ran from the deck at no 2 hatch through number to 5.

I was very impressed by his commitement and obvioulsy he went on to see the results of his effort. He was a nice guy.

Good days

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ceramic tween decks

Hi john shaw saville cadet, sounds like we were on the ceramic about the same time 63/65 . I did some training in the tween decks with the lads & remember sparring with graham smith who organised the whole thing. What you probably didn"t know was that the lads used to smuggle wranglers bought in Curacao into kiwi to flog and this was done by laundry bags going ashore which were stored in the same tween deck. I even knew some guys who brought tv"s in the same way but they eventually lost them to customs, happy days eh?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default lenny ellis

Further to your comments about lenny ellis, his mate was graham smith and lenny was reputed to have the biggest d--- on the coast and he used to flash it often in the crew messroom to the delight of the fruits present. Yes he was a character and I wonder if the two are still alive in kiwi today, cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast