Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: northern star 1972

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: northern star 1972

Only just got back to this thread. Terry, re Papeete I seem to recall one of the deck boys, or galley boys, were badly beaten up ashore, and that may have initiated the fight, Passys were also inolved . Someone else was nearly killed in motor bike or car accident. Re the fight on the wharf, several Firemen or Greasers came back and pinched acid from the Water testing kit. to use ashore. I went ashore at the end of the 12/4 and made sure I had a hefty Klinger armoured gauge glass in my boiler suit rule pocket. I think Peter Chard might have been there that trip as well
    Terry if you were the Leccy greaser, you might not have seen that both John Walker Ch El and Ken Allison Ch El died earlier this year

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Len, I was Intermediate 2nd engineer from January 1965 until January 1966 getting in my steam time. I remember Gerry Murphy ( Staff Chief ) Ken Allison and Geoff Tong ( electricians ) Also Bob Bready ( 3rd. Engineer -- he came to my wedding in NZ but passed away some years ago, cancer . We are still good friends with his wife, Molly. She still lives in Rotorua. Tim Williams is a shipmate I will never forget. Senior second was Ken Jury ? ( or Dury ) I remember the brawl in Papeete -- I think the crew bodily picked up a police Jeep, full of police officers, and dumped it into the harbour. I think we were bunkering fuel but disconnected the supply hose and shut the Gunport door thinking the mob would invade the ship. Would love to see a reply from you -- I am sure it would refreshen the brain cells -- regards Peter in NZ.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alan, my name is rod leaper and i was on the northern star from 1969 to 1972, engine room, ending up as elecs greaser, i have been trying to contact other crew members, two mates that joined the ship with me were: billy whittle and harry brooks who i believe ended up as storekeeper, and both came from liverpool, we joined the star from the oriana. would be nice to have a chat with you about the old dats, take care and hope to hear from you. rod.

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2