Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch

We currently seeking new members to our Society from seafarers who worked on Shaw Savill ships and now based in either Australia or New Zealand. The Australian Branch of the Society closed a few years ago but many have joined the NZ Branch ~ 27 members at the moment and we have total of 132 members.
    The Society in NZ has National Reunion every two years and our next one will be held in New Plymouth in April 2010 ~ this being our 10th Gathering in NZ. In Auckland area we have a summer and winter BBQ normally supported by members from Northland, Waikato and Auckland districts ~ and Wellington normally have Summer meetings every year.
    Our Chairman normally publishes a newsletter twice a year which contains local, and news from the UK Society.
    Membership is NZ$20 per annum per family in NZ , and $25 per Australian members per family (to allow for extra postage)
    Recent new members have been deck crew from Arawa and Akaroa and we encourage crew from all depts who maybe interested to contact my email: jamies@paradise.net.nz
    Many thanks,
    Jamie Shedden
    Shaw Savill Society
    Membership Secretary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I first sailed with shaw saville on the Waipawa in 1963/64, as assistant steward. We sailed to NZ via the panama canal, stopping at pitcairn island to drop mail and provisions.My next trip was on the Gothic also to Nz, including wellington,timaru,bluff,new plymouth,and a few more ports. My name is Patrick Montgomery,now reside in Rotorua.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!!

Hi Jamie (dont know if this applies to you but welcome anyway)
    Hope you get many replies to your request!

Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
    Thank you
    Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/p...?do=newpm&u=18

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
    Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
    Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery...ry.php?cat=558

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jamie,
    I am a member of the UK branch of the society but was wondering if you had any information on past engineers of the Carnatic in the period 1971-72; I had two very happy trips on her.

The Carnatic was my first SS&A ship; I joined her in Hull in March 1971 when she returned from NZ after being on the Crusader run for a period. Most if not all of the engineers were from NZ when I joined her although when we sailed deep sea there were some UK engineers on board, but most were Kiwi's. Unfortunately I cannot remember many names - most were known by their nicknames!

Joe Brooks was the Chief, but he was relieved in NZ by 'big' Tony Marharlivic (the spelling will be wrong, certain of that) - he later joined the NZ company Union Steam. The 5th engineer was Bruce ??? (Spaz), a junior was Kevin Mahoney (Roadrunner) who's father ran an engineering business in Auckland and did work for the ship. Other names I cannot remember, the 4th was known as JC, one of the electricians was known as Joe90. The 3rd engineer was a great bloke but only did the UK coast before leaving the ship.

On the deck side the captain was Phil Murchison whom I understand died a couple of years ago - was a great bloke. He had his wife Maureen on board. Both left when we got to NZ. The first mate was Graham Clay, another good bloke and a 'character'.

If you have any information would be glad to receive it - you can always send a private message.

Regards,
    Chris Hobday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Carnatic

My husband was on the Carnatic, Crusader run NZ and Japan. What a great crew she had.
    He was an EDH at the time, Byron Malcolm Barnett.

Eric Biddle, Ray Rawlings, Pony Moore, Lyn Johnson are some names that come to mind.
    Anyone out there remembers this crew??

He would love to know.

Bobbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Richard Quartermaine

Hello Vernon

I only last night found the Merchant Navy site and have joined and Webmaster Brian informs me that you are now resident in the Blue Mountains. I am also and live in Katoomba.

My Seaman's Record Book is Number R528396 prior to which I had paper discharges from the port Line MV Lowlander(1947) and SS & A SS Raranga (1947) and SS Moreton Bay 1947.

During mid 1947 to 1949 I was on Burns Philp ships SS Morinda and MV Bulolo, Adelaide Steam on the MV Manunda, WA Shipping Service MV Koolinda and AUSN Coramba.

Other Port Line ships were the MV Port Dunedin (1950) and the MV Port St John 1949/50.

I was Captain's Steward on the SS Gothic from 1951 to 1953 when I left to start another career.

I would be interested in talking to you. To know a bit more about me this is a website for which I am Webmaster. www.queenslandinsuranceoldies.org

All the best,
    Richard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coptic was originally constructed for White Star Line along with her sisters Doric and Ionic and all three were chartered to Shaw Savill's running partner N.Z.S C., the fourth ship of the class, Arabic was not included in the deal. In 1882 Coptic sailed for Oriental & Occidental Line on its San Francisco-China service. 1884 saw the introduction of Shaw, Savill & Albion-White Star service from London to Cape Town, Port Chalmers, Lyttelton and Wellington; having been fitted with refrigeration machinery she made her inaugural voyage on the 26th of May. She underwent extensive modernisation in 1894 and her builder replaced her outdated compound engine with a triple expansion, she was then placed on Oriental & Occidental's Pacific routes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default info

hi jamie although i never sialed on any of the shaw savill ships i wonder if you could help me i am trying to trace a old shipmate of mine we done three trips together from 1941 to 1942 i lost contact with him till after the war i have since learned that he went to live in auckland in1950 his name johnny mcnab ex bootle liverpool i would be very grateful for your help regards lou barron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Cretic 1967 with Ray Rawlings, I was on the Gothic with Duncan MontgomeryAugust 1967, worked by the Zealandic off Southend Pier as well I reside in Australia, glenn Baker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gothic Fire

Hello Glenn - I was Skippers Tiger on the Gothic 51/52/53.

In June 1969 - the day before the Moon landing - I was returning to my shore job in Singapore with my family as a passenger on the Royal Interocean Line cargo/passenger ship MV Straat Cumberland. We were sailing up the Yarra Yarra to dock in Melbourne and there was the Gothic looking somewhat miserable. On asking around I learned that she was on her way to the shipbreakers in Japan and her bridge had been burnt out.

Here is a picture I found on the Net and I got a slide and film scanner for Christmas so I should have a few pictures of her in Melbourne to post later.

Cheers, Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 2nd January 2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast