Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: WW11 torpedoed and sunk off coast of Ireland

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW11 torpedoed and sunk off coast of Ireland

Robert
    Just a small bit of interest perhaps to you to read!
    This Seaman must have been aboard at the same time as Henry ??
    Cheers
    https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/soun...sea-les-watson
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks N/A, Robert Kirkman thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW11 torpedoed and sunk off coat of Irealdn

EXTRACTED FROM MY BOOK, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

BARRISTER (Captain H. Collins). In ballast from Algiers, joined Convoy MKS.4 which had sailed from Bône on 22 December, 1942, bound for the UK. On 3 January, 1943, the Convoy split into 2 sections and the Barrister, bound for the Clyde, proceeded in the section routed round the north of Ireland. In bad weather and with visibility poor, the Barrister became separated from the other ships and, at about 8am on the 4th, when it was suddenly realized they were heading for a large rocky crag, Mr. J. Bean, the 3rd Mate, ordered ‘Hard-a-port’ to avoid it. But there were rocky shoals all round them and the ship ran aground with some force on what they later learned was Inishshark, in County Galway. A loud crack below the bridge was heard, together with the sound of rivets bursting, so that Captain Collins rang ‘Stop engines’ and ordered ‘Abandon ship’. And, because the ship was on UK Double Summer Time, it was only then becoming light

Presumably because flares and rockets had been set off, the corvette HMCS Kitchener (Cdr. Bill Evans) arrived to assist. The men in the first three lifeboats to be launched were picked up by her and subsequently landed at Londonderry. The fourth boat, with Captain Collins, 6 officers and a few seamen, was picked up by the corvette HMS Landguard whose commander, on learning that there were secret documents in the ship’s safe, insisted that Mr. H. Skelly, the 2nd Mate, go back for them, which he did after the sea had gone down the next morning. Then, in order to provide the information that would be required by the Receiver of Wrecks, the naval commander had Mr. Skelly, Mr. Bean and Cadet E. Parry carried to the island of Inishbolin by a fishing boat. And there they remained in a large damp house until the officials arrived, after which they were taken home via Dublin. Those who remained on the Landguard were landed at Liverpool. All 74 survived.

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, Robert Kirkman thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ian your book certainly looks a good book for reference for anybody seeking information. The book I have refers mostly to the trampship trade and was bought for me 19 years ago. Think I have opened 3 times in those years so not even sure how to use as a reference book. Have never read it page to page. Everyone thinks because you went to sea you are besotted by ships. When I retired in 2002 the wife organised a party on board a pleasure cruiser with about 40 guests and all the catering, I would rather have had in a pub away from the fear of falling overboard. The books I read are mostly Adventure stories the likes of James Bond,and even then is doubtful I will get through. I would certainly acquire your book if I was into tracing the past. Today though apart from this site am too interested in keeping alive and living for the day. Regards and all the best. JWS. PS someone also bought me a big tome on warships as well think that one have opened once. Maybe if live long enough may get to look at further. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th August 2017 at 01:14 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Robert Kirkman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    Many thanks for your reply. Working conditions sound appalling. My father was always active and worked well beyond retirement age but developed emphysema late in life when finally he was forced to retire. I guess a consequence of working on coal fired ships in close quarters. He was on holiday once aged about 70 and was swimming in the sea and with others helped rescue a swimmer who got into trouble. What I found incredible about Convoy SC121 was 69 freighters hunted by 27 submarines, 12 freighters sunk and 270 seamen killed or drowned. "At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them".
    All the best. Robert

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Ian,
    Thanks for your reply and very many thanks for the extract from your book. How remarkable you should have an account of the sinking of the Barrister in your book with a good amount of detail. My father went to Algiers and one of his service medals was the Africa Star with bar. I wonder if the bar was for having been "shipwrecked". I am amazed at how much information you guys have unearthed between you. Beyond the call of duty. All the best.
    Robert

10. Thanks N/A, Ian Malcolm thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Robert
    Yes many terrible things happened then and we do owe so much to so many for what they did,and what they died for!
    As Said "We will remember them lest we forget"

Here is a bit of info on the Bar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_bar

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/medals/africa-star
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th August 2017 at 09:52 PM.

R697530

12. Thanks Robert Kirkman thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    Sorry not to have got back sooner. Thanks for your last reply with references to the bar. It looks like the bar with my dad's Africa Star was for in shore operations. Thanks to your very kind guidance my cousin and I went to Kew National Archives and obtained a copy of his service record which is handwritten and a bit difficult to read in places but here goes.
    It starts with Trainee on Cape Breton 1942 off Dock Street in the London Docks. 25th July to 6th August 1942. Then the ill fated Barrister about which you guys found an incredible amount of information including a detailed account of the sinking by Malcolm extracted from his excellent book which sorry Malcolm I got from the local library. Some of the accounts make sombre reading where there is total loss of life. Then the service record is marked Special Military Service, Voyage N. A. Operations Algiers. Docked Algiers 11th December 1942. Gibraltar 24th December, near Inisshark, "Ashore ... Rocks W. C. Ireland 4/1 Abandoned, back broken, forepart almost detached, on reef, broken in two pieces amidships, everything awash, position exposed, case completely hopeless, consider vessel total wreck & no hope of any salvage." 15th January 1943.
    His next ship Fort Hudson (which was one of the 198 Canadian built Fort ships, 53 ships were lost). sailed Southend 28th January 1943 for Tyne, Flamborough Head, Spurn Head, Dunnet Head, Clyde, Greenock, Glasgow 26th February 1943.
    His last ship was the Raranaga, 30th April 1943 sailed Newport, Milford Haven, arrived New York 21st May, Sailed 27th May, arrived Cristobal 6th June, Balboa 8th June, Wellington New Zealand 5th July, departed Wellington 18th July, arrived Auckland New Zealand 29th July, arrived Balboa via Panama 19th July, sailed Cristobal 11th September arrived Guantanamo Bay 18th September, sailed Guantanamo Bay 18th September, arrived New York 23rd September sailed 30th September, sailed Boston 3rd October, arrived Halifax Canada 6th October, sailed 11th October, arrived Avonmouth Bristol 29th October 1943. On this ship it seems he spent a total of two weeks in New York, two weeks in New Zealand and one week in Canada. I never knew he went to Canada instead assumed he went to Australia but now I have the facts. I know he bought back mementos from New York, Florida, and New Zealand.
    I have booked a flight to West Coast of Ireland and have booked a hire car to get a view of Inisshark where the Barrister sank. Inisshark is now a deserted Island and I also plan to have a meal and see the ship's bell in Renvyle House Hotel. Lots of Ryanair flight cancellations but mine seems okay at the moment but will let you know if we get there. Again, many thanks and all the very best.
    Robert

14. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Have a great trip and be sure to let us know how you got on. I lived near you: Aylesbury for some 12 years prior to returning fairly recently to Wales, Southern Ireland is my second home. Enjoy the Craic. Keith.

My local radio report from 2015, Bucks first Red Duster raising for MN, set up before I left and continues every year.

https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/1...-in-aylesbury/

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 2nd October 2017 at 12:01 AM.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon, Robert Kirkman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Robert
    So glad that a little help got you going and it seems that you did get a lot of info! That is great and just shows that this site sometimes does do little Miracles LOL
    Hope the trip is also worth while which I am sure it will be and yes do let us know how you got on!
    All the best and thanks for the report on this!
    Appreciated
    Cheers

R697530

18. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The BERENGARIA was a Cunard Liner,

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast