Thread: Shaw Savill Voyages

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaw Savill Voyages

I sailed in two of the SS&A ships. I joined the TSS Fordsdale as a Junior O.S.iin Lyttelton, NZ in Oct '46 calling at Port Chalmers New PLymoyth and Auckland, then on to London via Panama. She was a shocker! We lived in the foc's'le alongside No 1 hatch! I re-joined her in Liverpool in Jan. '47 and did a round trip via Suez to Australian coast then to Auckland and back to London where I jpoined the Connaught Road Pool and spent four years shippimg out of London.
    I met my (future) wife in Port Elizabeth South Africa and settled in SA. But before I did that I did a round trip to NZ in the Dominion Monarch as an AB.
    In 1954 we decided to leave SA for NZ. What was the only ship we could ge ta passage in? The D.M.! So I went from AB to a first class passenger. The Mate couldn't handle that and studiously avoided me!
    KiwiAB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pete

Ahoy there, just found your post and interesting to see you too sailed as a JOS on Fordsdale that must have been the trip immediately after my trip on her sailing from Avonmouth on 8th November 1945 . We loaoed cargo in the States for the U.S forces in the pacific including Guam. It was quite a trip lasted 8 months . I have written at length about it in my recently published biography London Boy. Cheers pete

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hi Peter C
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Sounds like a good read that Biography of yours,bet it is full of very interesting facts !

Have you an ISBN Number for that !
    Thank you

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    Thank you

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1974
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th May 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the words of Welcome .I guess you are any old Union Castle man especially as you lived there for a while . Where in Australia are you now .I have travelled that wonderful country extensively in all manner of ways, around the Kinmberley coast on a pearling Lugger , and many outback trips with a 4x4 and camper.Over the years i have been involved in business with Australian companies and in fact we lived in Perth w.a for ten year ,marvellous part of the world MR# is318638 and my shirst trip was as peggy on an Elder Fyffe banana boat the SS Bayano that was back in early February 45.Re My Book it isnt available in Australia as yet the ISBN however is 978 0 4731378 8 I.If you let me have your email address i will send to the cover and a precis .It is 330 pages and a lot of photos many in colour . all the best Pte

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Book!

Hi Peter C
    Yes as you said i am ex UCL and come from Cape Town originally,then went to Sea and after that lived in the Uk for a while!
    Did many other things in life too one being in the RAF!
    So i see you have travelled quite a lot here in Aussie,and its a great place to do just that!
    I am living in NSW at the foot of the lovely Blue Mountains,a great spot but only that it gets too damn HOT in Summer here.
    I love the Winters its the time of the year i come Alive haha!
    Have been in Aus for 29years now came in March of 1980,and never looked back,although i still miss my dear Country!
    Thank you for the ISBN Number i will look to see if i can find it,but will get back to you on this OK!
    I see you were born in K----g--n? Nice place!
    I will pass the info on to Mike Hall! (Your Dis Number etc) Thanks
    Well hope you enjoy the site and compant too!
    Cheers to you at 72!! haha!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530