Thread: Dawkey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dawkey

Anyone out there who sailed as Engineers on the Karamea, Canopic, Taranaki, Ceramic, Afric or Medic between 1960 and 1967. Love to hear from you

Trinidad at the moment, my home as always Hull Yorkshire UK
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaw Savill

Harry,
    Sailed on the Canopic believe I joined the trip you left, Mick Murphy Ian Mcewan were on board at the time an big Jim was second, what a character he was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Harry Dorkins,

Was on Afric in dry dock Hamburg, when she had double collision, first inward bound, second outward bound, Norwegen Tanker cut her up bad just missed main Air bottles I mean just!
    Jack Griffice was releaving Chief, third was Scot always getting drunk, come back from ashore hardly stand go pantry and cook up all night aboard engineers suppers then fall asleep with his hear in it, real animal.
    Only other name remember was Gimmy Grealey 4/E from Dundee we previousley sailed together on Cedric.
    This was Christmas 1963.

Cliff Page

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Afric

Snikwad!!
    You old sea dog. I was junior engineer and then 2nd 'lecky to Colin Brock on the run from Oz and drydock in Bremen 1965. I was also at your wedding! Are you still in Middlesborough?Need to catch up.
    Regards,
    Les Gibson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Snikwad replies

Hi Les
    It is a long time since I saw my name spelt backwards?
    It is a long time since we met, but Middlesbrough is still the same, but no Merchant Navy Hotel now. It is still there but is now called the Baltimore. Where do you live now. Like you, I would love to meet and have a beer or three. Now retired after a lifetime in the Refinery business which took me all over the world, but still travelling, mainly to Cyprus where I have had a apartment for over 25 years. Let me know via this medium how you are. Harry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry,
    Sorry about the delay in replying to you. Living in the Swansea Valley on the edge of the Black mountains. Married to Kyoko (44 years now) 3 kids and 5 grand children. Also retired, now 71 but still enjoying life. Keep in touch.
    Les