Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: shawsaville line rms tamaroa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tamaroa

My father Keith Bryant was a member of the Merchant Navy working his way up to Chief Engineer and I believe the Tamaroa was his first boat on joining. He never talked much of his navy days to his children. When he built a small dinghy he called it Tamaroa II and told us it was named after his first boat (I also made a model boat as a boy called Tamaroa III).

I know he sailed to New zealand on a number of occasions also I believe Australia, Spain and Portugal; mainly by the presents brought back for our mother.

He left the Merchant Navy in the late 50s, early 60s before I was born and unfortunately died a few years back so there is no one left who knows anything of those times. It would be interesting if anyone does remember him from all those years ago.

Yours,
    Nic Bryant

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: shawsaville line rms tamaroa

Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    just looking at some of the shaw saville ships i was on the old Tamaroa from 3 7 53 till30 8 54 which was her last trip i believe did one trip waiting in the aft dinning room then i went back to the galley to a bit more sanity not much comfit in the Tamaroa but lots of laughs and smiles spent a week or more in the ships hospital on her three days in a coma because of the heat in the galley 'low deck head oil fires no air con in those days' i the second steward s name was gray the chief cook was a small Liverpool bloke and head waiter & veg cook where Polish blokes the where hard days but we had our share of laughs which is what British merchant seaman got by on cheers lennon
    Hi Ian here - I am doing some research into a former Chief Steward out of Liverpool whom I believe was on the Tamaraoa and emigrating to Auckland departed approx 8 July 1954 - this must have been the second to last voyage of Tamaroa? The man's name was Albert STANDRING from Prestayn, Wales - joined as a Cabin Boy in 1947 and paid off c1952. Ever hear or know of him? Appreciate any info - Albert died in Auckland in 1972 at the grand old age of 49 years. Pic attached.

Regards, Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes Captain Kong, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2