Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the suevic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clancy View Post
    i was on the good old suevic 1965 great crew great trip no trouble plenty off loverly girls
    hi clancey remember you well ray baldwin (raychell) also known as spike great trip hope you are well and enjoying life take care RAY steward for captain 3 long years

2. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

was on this ship SUEVIC 4 some year greatest trip was my great riend i made cannot remember his name at moment he was always eating blue cheese in my cabin and never left it for 6weeks till we got to auckland then it signed off and went home cannot trace him atall would love to find where he went anybody remember ray balwin capt stwerd four 3 years

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mike Joyce

One of the happiest trip I ever had was on the Suevic from Oct 69 to June 70.
    We did a 'double header' from Kiwi to the States and back, and then back
    to the UK.
    The average age of the crew was about 21.
    We spent Christmas around the Kiwi coast and the Captain very kindly turned a
    blind eye to the many girls who came on board in each port.
    During that time a Doctor came on board to see a few patients and reported to
    the Captain that the crew were showing severe signs of fatigue.
    He assured the Doctor that this was not brought about by work. In fact there was
    very little work done.
    I must confess that the Captain spoke true.
    Unfortunately our memory fades as we get older and only a few names can I remember.
    They are Mel Selwood , Dennis Ivil and Barry Beer. However we all got on very well and
    it would be great to hear from anyone on that trip.

6. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mike Joyce

This might interest you then Mike .... i was on the following trip in 1970 and had a very different captain .. think it was R D Jones .. we called him D R Jones ..he lived up to his name

SWINGING THE LAMP - Scrap Book

8. Thanks N/A, thomas michael, mickeyJ thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, thomas michael, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have nightmares about the SUEVIC in 1955, an evil ship, an evil company and an evil crowd. A Battleship from start to finish five months, my knuckles were sore.
    It was no joke having to defend your title every day, taking on all comers.
    I also remember Kanimbla, a big forced draft job I was in bed with, Three Firemen tried to get into my cabin when they heard that a Sheila was in there. She jumps out of my bunk, naked, opens the door. head butted the first one and drops him hit the 2nd with a big iron fist and drops him and the 3rd one legged it down the alleyway. then she locked the door again and climbs back into bed and had a good weep.
    She did it better than I could have done.
    Another day she was on the jetty in Sydney challenging all the firemen to have a go, two went down and stayed down, no one else would have a go at fighting her.
    I was glad when my five months was over.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 10th June 2015 at 04:37 PM.

10. Thanks John Gill, thomas michael, mickeyJ, mairangi bay thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Evan Lewis, thomas michael, mickeyJ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gday Mike,I remember you very well.Ialso remember Murdo drinking himself to an early grave or should that be a watery one in New Plymouth!Im still in touch with Barry and Dennis is living in N.Z. i think.The big success story is Murphy the greaser who made a small fortune in N.Z.Not bad for a pot smoking weirdo!!!.I have a lot of memories of that trip as vivid today as they were then.

12. Thanks N/A, mickeyJ thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cliff. Just read your post, I joined the Suevic in July '70 and eventually paid off in Jan '71. The old man RD(DR)Jones was on her for the deep sea trip. Do you remember when he stopped all the shore passes in either Aussie or Kiwi and the crowd threatened to walk off, in fact some of the lads were half way down the gangway when he gave in. I have always wondered if anyone got a dr for that performance. I was an ordinary seaman at that time so I wasn't quite as militant as some of the others, overall I have happy memories of that trip.

Regards
    Angus Macdonald

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, thomas michael, mickeyJ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry, it is great to hear from you. I remember your name but I am trying to put a face to it. The memory is fading and the health hasn't been excellent for some years now. Which department were you in? It's good to hear some of us are still alive much to my surprise considering the style of living we had on the Suevic. Murdo was obviously suffering from DT's or something similar and it sure saddened the mood on board. I remember Murphy very well. As you say, he liked his pot. He thought of nothing else. He would have been the last one i could imagine making a fortune. I would love to hear from Dennis and Barry. Could you pass on that message to them. And to anyone else from that trip you come across. Maybe we could all connect up via Facebook. I look forward to hearing from you.

16. Likes thomas michael, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I still have nightmares about the SUEVIC in 1955, an evil ship, an evil company and an evil crowd. A Battleship from start to finish five months, my knuckles were sore.
    I also remember Kanimbla, a big forced draft job I was in bed with, Three Firemen tried to get into my cabin when they heard that a Sheila was in there. She jumps out of my bunk, naked, opens the door. head butted the first one and drops him hit the 2nd with a big iron fist and drops him and the 3rd one legged it down the alleyway. then she locked the door again and climbs back into bed and had a good weep.
    Another day she was on the jetty in Sydney challenging all the firemen to have a go, two went down and stayed down, no one else would have a go at fighting her.
    Brian
    reply capt kong
    that's why I used to pick the big ugly ones, they always backed you up in a fight.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Brian
    reply capt kong
    this is why I used to pick the big ugly ones, they always backed you up in a fight.
    tom

19. Likes Evan Lewis, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast