Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wellesley Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wellesley Nautical School

Billy think I mentioned in a previous post that I lived just along the road from your former abode. Used to pass it frequently if going on the bus to Blyth. Used to ask people what it was and the usual reply was it is a sea school, so don't think the average person realized it was a remand home. Is it still there.? There used to be a home for girls in Monkseaton and they went to Byegate Secondary Modern school, the school I went to leaving in 1952, some of those girls were real hard cases, and yet they were only from dysfunctual homes and not really on remand. A couple of lads I went to school with when I initially lived in Whitley Bay and went to a different school, finished up in Borstal, met them in later years and it did not do them any harm, today they would be traumatised. At least 2 other ex school mates finished up doing time in Durham Gaol. One of them started the first protection racket when the night clubs started in town, he tried to put me on the shake for money when I was home on leave one time, but soon got short shift. Put everything down to experience and you cant go wrong, if you have to go wrong the only answer is don't get caught. Cheers JWS

2. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Tompkins View Post
    I was at wellesley nautical sschool from 1970 - 1971 and was then a approved school. I enjoyed my time there and the traing given. When i left i wanted to join royal navy and passed all the tests given. When it come to criminal record they declined my enlistment.
    The very same problem for me. I was at the wellesley from late 1967 to July 1969
    I sat CSE. In Seamanship & Navigation, was a member of the school band (bugler), and the gymnastic team.
    I HAD been a silly boy at 16 but lessons can be learned
    I originally wanted to be radio and radar officer (ships sparky)..... no chance
    Ended up S.O.S. with BP tankers then left the mercantile marine never to return
    Sae La Vie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When applying to go to King Tedd's, I needed a reference, so went to see the head master Mr R C (well named) Carrington, who advised me that most criminals waited till they we caught. He did not have a high regard for MN. Still he did give a good enough reference to get there and live very happily ever after.

5. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was there in 1958/59 then went to Outward Bound Sea School, Aberdovey. Left for sea 1961 from Poole on 160' M/Y Marandis & forever happy at sea.

7. Likes Michael Black liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had two wellesly boys on the cragmoor ......came aboard in shields in tiddly gear ....one was named blackdog and the other named warthog .......one was always in trouble nicked a hot dog stand .in frisco and ended riding it off the jetty into the sea.....certainly looked fitter after the voyage ......one was nicking soap from folks cabins .....till he got caught ........changed his ways after that.....R683532

9. Likes Tony Taylor, Michael Black liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2