Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool nautical catering college

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chief Stewards Certificate

#18 Cappy who was Chief steward on the Cragmoor when you were there ? Your time there the feeding rate at a guess would be 8/- a day. Under the system then if he kept it below this he received a Company Bonus . Maybe his shifty look was because he didn’t want anybody to find out he was drying out the old tea leaves and reusing them ?
    The Hong Kong System I saw was the most cheese paring, the ships I was on were run on a monthly portage account , and anything on the credit side at the end of the month belonged to the master. The victualling daily money was paid out at the end of the month in cash to the head of each dept. e.g. the engine room the number 1Fireman, the deck to the bosun, the officers the chief steward. Every month they used to sit around in groups deciding how to spend . Then someone from each dept. would go ashore with shopping bags and buy the grocery’s for a month. Needless to say it was rare to see a fat chinaman as some of the cash was decided to reward themselves and never reached the grocer. The catering staff used to put their total money in their own pockets and feed off the officers feeding rates so it was also rare to see fat ships officers. One way I suppose to keep a ship lean, mean, but maybe not so keen.? There was also 3 galleys each dept.having their own chef de cuisine. The Chief steward on joining a ship had to buy the job off his predecessor as to whatever stores where on board as long as they were on paper, they didn’t have to be in existence . Sounds all strange and wonderful but apart From the belly cramps it worked , and never heard too many complaints . Probably if had they would have been told to swing their hook.
    Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st January 2023 at 11:00 PM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Morning john ...the chief steward on the cragmoor was darkie allison ....from north shields .....he was off to the trots in oz .....old roberts banned him from the saloon for a couple of days nobody new why ...could have been for going to the trots ....perhaps with the chandler LOL.....he said two things to me in a 9 month trip ......he would laugh and then say ......why yer buggerman ya will be of too naughtry aniies ice cream with aaal that money when you get home ......he was also tha twat who decided to cut a splinter out of my finger the thickness of a match stick from my finger end to the second joint after it was turning black.....the mate saw what was happening told him he was an asshole and sent me to hospital in sidney .....we laid off pitcairn in heavy weather and i learned the story of fletcher christian ....bligh etc .....it has interested me ever since......any way have you heard from louis the fly yet ....he must be pissed off stuck in rose cottage and not alloewed out after looking forward to a family holiday ......old george the donkey will have missed him over xmas lol ....any way all the best for the new year to you and gwen ...and yes the whiskey bottle filled with cold tea got me in 5 houses new years eve lol cheers cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not heard from Louis and don’t have his contact numbers if he sees This might remember and get in touch. Can’t remember the name Allison . Only knew one who lived in North Shields in Runcimans he wouldn’t go Chief Steward went to see him one time lived opposite a pub in a one bedroom cottage with a parrot. Most of the Chief Stewards in Runcimans lived in South Shields and owned fleets of houses . Hope you haven’t blotted your copybook this year yet. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Not heard from Louis and don’t have his contact numbers if he sees This might remember and get in touch. Can’t remember the name Allison . Only knew one who lived in North Shields in Runcimans he wouldn’t go Chief Steward went to see him one time lived opposite a pub in a one bedroom cottage with a parrot. Most of the Chief Stewards in Runcimans lived in South Shields and owned fleets of houses . Hope you haven’t blotted your copybook this year yet. Cheers JS
    Funnily enough I shared a flat on Boldon Lane (above the wine stores), owned and run by ex ch. steward. Cant recall his name tho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#20 John I ldid similar to your relative. I was lucky enough to get a pier head jump on a coaster, I then managed to get a discharge book and registered at the pool. I think a lot of people and companies encouraged myself and others along the way. More importantly was money. All that time at college was paid for by shipping companies plus accomodation and wages. My time on U.K. ships was a great education and gave me the foundation for a long and satisfying career. Any body with a bit of get up and go could have done similar,or the opposite which many chose which was to waste your time at sea and treat it as a drunken tour of the World.

7. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liverpool nautical catering college

Should that be chief steward or thief steward,
    Certainly the case on UCL, you would think he personally paid for the ships stores.
    Often like scrooge when it came to some items, tea was one of their specialties when it came to rations.

There was one who was married to the daughter of one of the Cayzer family, thought he could do no wrong, a prize prick if ever there was one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Monty. I went to Dickie Bonds 1956(a bit before your C/Stewards course). I too would like to see a photo of the place. I was sent there by Ellerman and Papayanni to train as a cabin boy. Enjoyed myself there. Ended up as galley boy before leaving the service to join the army. But thats another story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was posted earlier by Caroline?
    Is this the place?
    Cheers
    photo of the Nautical Catering College and Sailors Home,all sadly gone now.I was at the college April-June 1974 2nd cooks course.
    Nautical Catering College and Sailor's Home. | This photo is… | Flickr

And just from anothers Post noy mine!

Dickie Bonds', Liverpool Nautical Catering College, Oldham Street, LIVERPOOL.

the Original & only 'Dickie Bonds'..........12 week Catering course usually backed by a shipping company.

the college closed and moved to Canning Place, where catering staff had refresher courses and took various certificates.

I was there in 1964, on a 12 week pre-sea training course backed by Mc Andrews, who I never sailed for !

I later attended the Canning Place college for 'refresher courses and also to take my 2nd cook n tab-nab makers ticket ! many moons ago

Of Interest ?

The Sailor's Home, Liverpool: a few more pictures (chesterwalls.info)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th January 2023 at 11:14 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon.
    What would I have given to be able to write like that.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, did you ever go to school, did you have pen and paper or were you one of those with a slate and chalk?? LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast