Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: National Sea Training school Gravesend 1974

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dave Daly

Went to grave send 67 from a children's care home in salford like many others
    Stayed in merchant for 10 years what a great life.got myself a pub in 77 still running one now.
    Without the merchant and a lot of salt of the earth crew God knows
    Thanks to any one who sailed with me

2. Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi bruno and others. i was at gravesend november 1947 to january 1948 catering. mr day was a very nice person. he took us for the fourth week, maintainence. me and my mate shifted eleven tons of coal in two hours so he gave us the rest of the day off. he said don't hand your card in, go out the side gate and come back up the fire escape. mr phillips had a big nose, and when we were drinking in the pub, (i think it was called the green gate) we could see his sillouette on the glass door and scarpered quick.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default my peanut days

Hi shipmates, did any of you peanuts who could not get a drink in Gravesend, go across the thames by ferry to Tilbury and have a few quick half pints I did in 1968, it was the only place to get a drink, I remember going to the local flea pit{ cinema} with all my classmates , in gravesend to see"The green beret" John Wayne was the star . great times!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default National Sea Training School Gravesend 1974.

[/QUOTE]. mr phillips had a big nose, and when we were drinking in the pub, (i think it was called the green gate) we could see his sillouette on the glass door and scarpered quick.[/QUOTE]

Alf,Did this Mr Phillips have a scar down one of the cheeks of his face and was he the storekeeper who dished out the uniforms etc??If it is the same guy as when I was there in 1956 my experience of him is this.We were in the line up at the stores which had a stable door,as I was in the queue I noticed that he was letting lads try on the beret,blouse etc and letting them try things for size.I thought what a nice man.When I stepped upto the plate and gave my name in all this gear came flying through the door with me left collecting it up, no trying on of anything,I wondered what have I done.Then I was told the story that the scar down his face was done by a scouser whilst he was at the Vindi so from then on there was nothing down for any scouser that crossed his path.All part of life joining the big world I suppose.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Scouser,s at sea.

The problem with a scouser at sea, Wasn't his it was the stigma attached by other seaman from the country over on there idea of what a scouser was. Don't get me wrong most scousers at sea were always prepared to fight there corner as i did myself , But what other guy,s couldn't understand was it is in our nature. From a very young age it was drummed into me that i had to hit back and we all did and still do my own kids and grand kids have had it instilled in them that know one has a laugh. Even if you get a bloody good hiding you have to stand up for yourself because at the end of the day know one else will. I signed on my first ship only to find myself relieving a very good friend of mine who is on this forum the best advice i was ever given {Keep your eyes and ears open, And until you know what your talking about speak when you are spoken to} Which stood me in very good stead. Once i had a few years under my belt i found i could voice an opinion and if i had a beef with anyone didn't matter who it was aboard the ship from the skipper down i had a straightener with them. If it came to any thing more than words ? bring it on i backed down from know body. There is one thing i will say about sailing with a few scouser,s i know quite a few lads i had a run ashore with that were glad we were there on a few occasion's and there is one thing know one can accuse a scouser of you wouldn't find a bully boy aboard a ship that had a few scouse ratings because he would be our first target. Even if he was a scouser himself. I always remember being berthed in Birkenhead. With a mixed crew of lads we had a great night ashore and all decided on fish and chips supper we all walked into this chip shop and there was a guy in the que a little worse for the drink with a salmon,under his arm, A fresh salmon, he asked the guy over the counter do you do fishcakes, Yes of course we do ? Can you have him one ready for Thursday its his birthday It is all part of our culture and sence of humour Regards Lads Terry. p.s. never got caught smoking over the red line in gravesend or put on a charge.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default National Sea Training school Gravesend 1974

Although thisis nothing to do with the training school .I have been called scouse a lot of my times by a lot of people in Dunedin even to this day a very few still do it even though i have lost a lot of my dialect

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RLT we had a BR on the Windsor by the name of Lucky. He got the name in the war and he was a true blue scoucer. But a nicer guy you would never meet and he was a good friend to many. He came unstcuk one day in Cape Town, some low life stabbed him in the back while he was walking along by the station, took his wallet and left him there. Thankfully he survived but said maybe his luck was now on the way out.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: National Sea Training school Gravesend 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luty View Post
    Hi our class pic from summer 1974,
    Im on front row 3rd from the right!

ta Chris
    I was there then. U Class.

You can read all about it here www.jcecil-peanut.com

Anybody that would like a signed copy please PM me for details.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: dont eat the porridge with salt in it

Louis you must remember watching the Olympics on that tiny telly August 1968. I only had one fight, a draw. I was there August to November 1968 deck dept.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: National Sea Training school Gravesend 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luty View Post
    Hi our class pic from summer 1974,
    Im on front row 3rd from the right!

ta Chris
    i was at the sea school from 74/75 tried to download photo but had no joy fellow peanut paul elkin

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast