Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: National Sea Training school Gravesend 1974

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by fred drake View Post
    Hi, Brian my name is fred drake i was at Gravesend Dec 67 to Feb 68 Iwas leadhand i also played the drums on the entertainment night, the secratery used to dance on the stage to my drum solo. This is a photo of the class i`m back row third from the left i`m sure you are on this photo
    Hi Fred,

You've filled me with nostalgia this morning, I've run around finding a magnifying glass and my reading glasses. But alas I don't think I'm on your class photo. I had a friend at the school called Fred, he had ginger hair and came from London. We were together on the Persic on a voyage to Australia to collect frozen lamb.
    When I first read your email, I thought you were the one and the same Fred. I come from South Yorkshire, a little mining village called Bolton-on-Dearne. At least it was a mining village until Maggie started her campaign to beat down the miners and unions.
    Hope you keep well,
    Regards, Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brian Rees

Cheers Brian, i thought i could remember the name,but it looks like we were at the N.S.T.S at the same time but in different classes

Cheers Fred

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Village Inn SHAW

Hi Colin, what a small world. I live in Freshbrook next to Shaw, use the pub and the Vets there.

Take care Derek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M V Rosewood

Hi Louis, the Rosewood was a bulker, we joined in Rotterdam and went to New Orleans, loaded grain, then through the panama canal and bound for Valparaso, when the Somali went berserk. It was after the Old mans rounds, Siunday pm, and his name was Jama ? He was eventually tried at the O;ld Bailey, in London about May 1975. He was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 7 years.I actually atended the trial as a prosecution witness and have been watching my back ever since.

Virtually the whole crew were from Cardiff.Charlie Williams, Dai Wigmore, Paki Crossey, Reggie Palmer, Frank Downey, Rashid Khamid,Paul Sexton, Jimmy Pates,. Ribs Bolton and Kenny Maclean. We played a soccer match and I still have the team photo. The bosun was from Cardiff, I cant remember his name but h was part Armenian I think.

When we arrived at Valparasso we were put ashore while they fumigated the cargo. Officers t a 4 * hoterl and crew to a 5* brothel. We didn't complain as there was a night curfew so we were locked in.

Our return was Tampa for phosphates to Antwerp where we all signed off.Joined 3,10,1973 left 8,1,1974 my worst Christmas ever.

Hope the above sheds some light.
    Derek Brooks R850826
    Last edited by Derek Brooks; 27th October 2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: additional info

5. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Likes Robert George Young liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up sea school

Hi Derek, thank you for the information About the Somalia I think he was on a ship with me before that date? I hear that tale of woe many years later you have a great memory I cant' remember the names of the ships I was on never mind the crew, I only sailed with a few men from Cardiff and have never seen them again some must have gone abroad to live? But it was a long time ago. if you come to Cardiff tell me and I will buy you a beer and have a talk about old times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Memories

Hi Louis most of my memories come from my old Dis A Books. Found them in the loft a couple of years ago. I have been in this house for near on 30 years now. Like you I can never remember names but if I see someone I recognise their face. Part of getting old. Some memoris come to light when I talk to friends and all of a sudden kabow!!

I still have relatives living in Barry and try and visit when I can. I know AJ was trying to organise a get together earlier this year but changed when the southern group made their plans.

If AJ organises something next year I hope we can get together and have that chat.

Take care and all the best

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Brooks; 27th October 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default carering class december 67 to february 68

Quote Originally Posted by fred drake View Post
    Cheers Brian, i thought i could remember the name,but it looks like we were at the N.S.T.S at the same time but in different classes

Cheers Fred
    Hi Fred, There was a real big lad in our class, I think his name was Charlie. Could that be the lad stood near you on the back row ?

Regards, Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian. yes i`m sure his name was Charlie. he was a big lad but very quite as i remember. After leaving Gravesend i only ever saw one guy & he is sitting to the left of the instuctor his name was i think Mike,the only reason we met up was the first ship i joined was a coaster from dunston Gateshead & Mike lived near so i looked him up . I live in a place called Spennymoor Co. Durham

Regards Fred
    Last edited by Fred Drake; 15th November 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ex inmate from nsts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luty View Post
    Hi our class pic from summer 1974,
    Im on front row 3rd from the right!

ta Chris
    Hi Chris,our class was the first lot of inmates in NSTS GRAVESEND,still have the shackle marks and lash wounds from Gruppen Fheuer Rashbrook,1966,talk about happy days,when I think back,ALCATRAZ must have been a holiday camp,
    Chris Pusnik

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You had it easy.You should hve seen the Vindi.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast