Thread: Gunnery,Firefighting and Refresher courses

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gunnery,Firefighting and Refresher courses

I dont know about other ports I can only speak for Liverpool regarding these course's.
    The Gunnery Course,I never went on that I think it was just on the end of it when I started going away.
    It was carried out at HMS Eaglet Salthouse Dock I believe.Some of the lads that went on it said it took place in some kind of big airlocked balloon with a simulator,maybe someone that went on this course can explain more.
    If you were an Established Seaman and ships were a bit thin on the ground sometimes the Pool would send you on one of the other courses to get rid of a few people looking for work.
    I attended the Firefighting course at Liverpool Fire Brigades station,Hatton Garden.I cant remember now how long it lasted,maybe a week or less.We did class room and practical.We were put into groups of two,we had to make up our own fire extinguishers,three different types,Soda Acid,Foam and Co2.They had corrugated huts in the yard in which they lit fires.One hut had big trays of oil in which they set alight,if you were on the Foam extinguisher you were sent in to tackle that fire.Another hut was fired up with wood etc,the Soda acid crowd were sent in to sort that one out.
    A good experience and a the end of it you got your Fire Fighting Certificate.
    The refresher Course was a joke. We were supposed to learn how to lay up tables for diferent occassions.
    We also had plastic and rubber food to teach us how to do Silver Service.
    If you did'nt know how to back horses you certainly would've known how to at the end of the week.
    The instructor liked a bet and so did some of us in the class.First job on arrival was open the Racing page in the paper and study form.We would break into groups and throw a few bob each in and put our bets on at lunch time right opposite the Pool.This course was for nothing else but to just get you out the way because things were slack.
    Regards.
    Jim..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Training!

Hi Jim
    Nice little post there mate,it made for a minute of interesting reading!
    As i was never in the situation of so to speak Training,its good to read waht went on with a lot of you Lads!
    Thanks for that!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530