Thread: NSTS Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default NSTS Gravesend

Whilst looking back through past posts,there was a comment about recalling their number from the school. There was also reference to trainees being referred to as 'peanuts'. I attended Gravesend from 12th June to 4th August 1967. Although I could not recall my number, whilst going through my old stuff, I found two books issued to me on entry. They are the Lifeboat Manual and the Ships Steward's handbook. Written on them is my number C2485. However even after such a long time, I can remember being in the 'Ben Ledi' dorm which was on the first floor near the main entry. Being just 16 years old, it was an experience being away from home for the first time, but then again it was something I got used to. 11 days after leaving, I signed on my first ship, the Middlesex Trader at Birkenhead. This took me first to Avonmouth to discharge a part load of grain before sailing for Churchill in Hudson Bay. 11 days of seasicknes, and one of the old hands advice. If you are seasick, eat oranges as they are the only things that taste the same coming up as going down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NSTS Gravesend

I also attended the sea training school from March to May 1967 . The dorm I was in was 35 Warkworth. Which just happened to be the second ship I sailed on as a catering boy deep sea to Churchill Canada.Great memories . Phil Etherington

3. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. Philip I was mate on the same ship from the 1 march 1965 to the 9 Sept. 1965 this included the Churchill trip also , so must have just missed you by 2 years . Did you do any other trips on other Dalgliesh vessels ?
    Was R. Storey the master when you were there ? On the Warkworth. He relieved me as mate there but later went master on the same ship. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th September 2022 at 11:05 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I also sailed on the Ravensworth, again as a catering boy . The master of the Warkworth was M Graham. I put the wrong dates it was 1968

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again 2 years after me, thanks though for the reply. JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by philip etherington View Post
    Hi, I also sailed on the Ravensworth, again as a catering boy . The master of the Warkworth was M Graham. I put the wrong dates it was 1968
    For those who may not know, Warkworth is a village on the banks of the river Coquet in Nothumberland, impressive castle at the top of the high street.
    Ravensworth was a ten minute walk from my village (Kibblesworth), in those days it was Co. Durham (now Gateshead due to boundary changes); it consisted of about three houses and one farm, but also had a castle about a mile down the road near the village of Lady Park (It was the residence of Lord Ravensworth until mid thirties., no just a ruin).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tony.
    Those few villagers must have been hard buggers to have their own castle looking over them.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They had Grace Darling living in the area if they ever got out of their depth whilst having their annual bath, bathing in the ocean. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My other memories of Gravesend . Boxing I think on a Monday night, The band that was formed called Gale Force 8 and the great suppers such as mince on toast. There were the catering lads who worked in the Bamboo Room I never made it past the galley but the food was great.

13. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was ther feb to may 1967 deck class s i think our dorm was called Stonepool

15. Likes Robbie Kaye liked this post