Thread: Work Related Quality of Life Questionnaire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Work Related Quality of Life Questionnaire

Hello Everybody

My name is Patrick Carroll and I'm a Deck Cadet currently completing a dissertaiton as part of my course.

This dissertaiton covers all seafarers and centres around Work Related Quality of Life (WRQoL), this is a concept with a range of metrics but essentially tries to show the relationship between the worker (in whatever field) and the job that they are doing in order to identify areas which could be improved.

I would be immensly grateful if anyone would like to give five minutes of their time to fill in my survey.

Thanks

Patrick
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th January 2021 at 08:03 PM.

2. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Work Related Quality of Life Questionnaire

Well Patrick you've joined the live Mari Celeste, as most of us were at sea from the 40's to 80's and wouldn't have any idea about WRQL, we were used to joining ships with 6 -10 to a cabin, cockroaches as pets, lousy food, long sea passages on slow ships (by today's standards) shared bathrooms by about 20, I don't think our experiences would be relevant. Most of our memories are seen through rose tinted spectacles and that's the way we like it. Although the girls in various ports certainly added to our quality of life.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, John Callon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall that in the 70s Esso carried out a study and came to the conclusion that the efficiency of crew members took a dramatic dive after three months and subsequently reduced trip lengths to 3 months, it took quite some time for others to follow suit, if they did at all.

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll View Post
    Hello Everybody

My name is Patrick Carroll and I'm a Deck Cadet currently completing a dissertaiton as part of my course.

This dissertaiton covers all seafarers and centres around Work Related Quality of Life (WRQoL), this is a concept with a range of metrics but essentially tries to show the relationship between the worker (in whatever field) and the job that they are doing in order to identify areas which could be improved.

I would be immensly grateful if anyone would like to give five minutes of their time to fill in my survey.

https://plymouth.onlinesurveys.ac.uk...-questionnaire

Thanks

Patrick
    Patrick, I started to answer your questionnaire, but whilst not wanting to be negative I found that some of the questions were irrelevant and more suited to someone in a shore based job. Although things have changed significantly since my day but the basics of seafaring will remain the same, for instance I would assume that most vessels will run UMS these days, while I am sure the bridge will still require watchkeepers, but I cannot imagine a scenario where anyone would be in a position to discuss "flexible working hours"

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Patrick
    Although i liked yoiur post as it is something that may assist you, i am sorry but such Questionaires are not permitted on this site, due to past experiences.

So i ahve deleted the Link.
    Hope that you may be able to post this in some other Forum
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I recall that in the 70s Esso carried out a study and came to the conclusion that the efficiency of crew members took a dramatic dive after three months and subsequently reduced trip lengths to 3 months, it took quite some time for others to follow suit, if they did at all.
    Yes I found similar pieces of research that saw very little uptake. A shame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Patrick, I started to answer your questionnaire, but whilst not wanting to be negative I found that some of the questions were irrelevant and more suited to someone in a shore based job. Although things have changed significantly since my day but the basics of seafaring will remain the same, for instance I would assume that most vessels will run UMS these days, while I am sure the bridge will still require watchkeepers, but I cannot imagine a scenario where anyone would be in a position to discuss "flexible working hours"
    Hi Tony. completly understand and I did see those issues myself. The questionnaire is designed for shore based professions but beacuse of the lack of previous research there is no maritime alternative. I considered creating my own but by using a previously utilised questionnaire i can compare the responces of seafarers to other professions + average. I agree a new set of questions will be needed (perhaps my next project)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello Patrick
    Although i liked yoiur post as it is something that may assist you, i am sorry but such Questionaires are not permitted on this site, due to past experiences.

So i ahve deleted the Link.
    Hope that you may be able to post this in some other Forum
    oh ok sorry didnt realise. thanks for letting me know.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post