Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nautical catering college (liverpool)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nautical Catering School, Oldham Street,Liverpool,2.

I started my career in the Merchant Navy by attending NSTS Gravesend, passing out from there in March 1957. I shipped out of Liverpool it being my home port. I sailed my first trip on a coastal tanker MV Acuity, one of Everads.
    I then joined the Eagle Oil Shipping Company as galley boy, assistant steward, second steward and second cook.
    In May 1961 i went to the Nautical Catering School, Oldham Street, Liverpool 2 and obtained my second cook and bakers ticket on 7th July 1961.
    Whilst training at the school as a cook, our food was sold in the restaurant and served by trainee stewards to members of the public, this I later found out was members of the Liverpool Council. It was impossible for members of the general public to book a table as they were booked up on a continuous basis by the council.
    If I remember rightly they paid 2s.6p. (Half a Crown) 15p in present money for a three course lunch with silver service.(A nice little job if you could get it).
    I then sailed again with Eagle Oil as second cook and baker, and with Shell Tankers who took over Eagle Oil. I then went on 'the pool' for a couple of year.
    In March 1964 I went to the same school in Oldham Street only this time it had changed its name to City of Liverpool Nautical Catering Collage and got my Ships Cook certificate, the same people were still having thier lunch in the school restaurant (suprize suprize).
    While there the second time we had some Nigerian Seamen on the same course and one day they cooked a Nigerian meal for the lads. I remember it to this day. If was called Fish Pepper Soup omg was it HOT, I have never had it since.
    Having joined this site it is amazing what people remember about their time at sea. All my memories are good ones.
    I was wondering if anyone reading this also sailed with the Eagle Oil Shipping Company in the late 1950 before they were taken over by Shell, If anyone has Im sure they will rememeber Tanker Joes in BA. happy days

John Evans (Now retired)

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John Albert,
    I was only on one Eagle Oil Tanker, San Wilfrido.I was AB. Joined Her in Q.E. Dock Eastham,just by the locks-Manchester Ship Canal.14/4/59. A short trip to Trinadad,then back to discharge at Old Killpatrick on the Clyde,payed off 30/5/59. A few years later I met the Bosun(a compy man Kenny Catterall) who told me that after we left,She went for scrap to Japan with a Full crowd from the Glasgow Pool He would'nt tell me of that last trip while he was sober,so into the Pub and by the time he had finished his story we were both pizzed
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

4. Likes John Albert Evans, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nautical Catering College Liverpool

Hi Peter,I was on a Tanker Curcao was our base,we went to various ports and back to Curacao we went to Trinidad quite a few times but I've always wanted to know the name of the port.This place we tied up well out to sea alongside a jetty with the pipelines running to it and we went ashore by launch,some times we walked it along planks that were laid on top of the pipes,very dangerous,is this where you went to, can you tell me the name of the place.Many years of wondering,if you dont know dose anybody else Know?
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim,
    From the dim and murky past,I think it was called Monkey Point. I have a pint now and again with an old mate who was with me on that trip,so I'll check it out with Him.
    ttfn.Peter.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up the name of the port

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Hi Peter,I was on a Tanker Curcao Regards.
    Jim.B.
    the name of the por t in Trinidad is probably POINT FORTIN
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th May 2016 at 09:42 PM.

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nautical catering college liverpool

Thanks fot those suggestions Peter and John I must have a look on google.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,
    Point Fortin,Trinidad certainly rings a bell. A bar up the road from the end of the Jetty,with a large out-door area at the back. I remember arriving there but not leaving.
    ttfn.Peter.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile point fortin

I was there with shell in about 1970 & then again on a F.O.C. Bitumen carrier in about 1988, There was a bar a short walk from when you got off the launch. You were supposed to radio/phonel for the launch and not walk the length of the pipe line. If the bloke in charge of the launch was not to busy chatting & smoking dope you got a lift ashore. to enjoy a few carib beers.

16. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 'Dickie Bonds', Liverpool Nautical Catering College, Oldham Street, LIVERPOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by alan green View Post
    Does anybody remember the Nautical Catering College in Canning Place, Liverpool..
    Alan Green
    Dickie Bonds', Liverpool Nautical Catering College, Oldham Street, LIVERPOOL.

the Original & only 'Dickie Bonds'..........12 week Catering course usually backed by a shipping company.

the college closed and moved to Canning Place, where catering staff had refresher courses and took various certificates.

I was there in 1964, on a 12 week pre-sea training course backed by Mc Andrews, who I never sailed for !

I later attended the Canning Place college for 'refresher courses and also to take my 2nd cook n tab-nab makers ticket ! many moons ago
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th May 2016 at 09:43 PM.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nautical Catering College Liverpool

Yes I remember the school very well. I attended there from July 65 to Dec 65. I was told half way through that unless I pulled my socks up I would be out and not going to sea. By the end of the course I was dux of the class. It was a very nice school and I think a little ahead of its time for the period. I remember spending the whole day prepping a banquet table for a load of dignitaries and top brass. It was one hell of a day.
    Twice I got pulled up about the layout of some of the places. The knife and fork HAD to be exactly 11" inches apart. and the desert spoon and fork had to be facing opposite each other at the top of the setting.
    When I got home that night I didn't say good night to my parents, I just went up to my room and went to bed.
    From there My first ship was the Cunard Line "MV Media.".
    Now I work for the Mission to Seafarers in Melbourne giving back what I had received and care-ring for the welfare of the sailors by going on the ships and seeing them and talking to them, and at times helping them with problems.
    Email me if you feel the need. mtsv.melb@yahoo.com.au
    David Scott.

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast