Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Boulevard Nautical School

Or to give it it's full title KINGSTON UPON HULL HIGH SCHOOL FOR NAUTICAL TRAINING! Although this training establishment has now been demolished, it was a prestigious training establishment in its time. As well as being a training school for fishermen and cooks, it also boasted its own pre ticket cramming department for mates and Old Men!

I was there from 1961 to 1963 and have some fond memories of my time there and my first time living away from home.

Did anyone else out there attend the place???
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pic

Hi
    Just a Pic of that School with some training going on!
    Cheers!

Click Here

Seems that Link is now not working ! Sorry!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th August 2021 at 07:59 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this quite by accident trawling through the site.It was very interesting even to someone like me who didn't go there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B.n.s.

Hi there,I was at Boulavard from Aug 53 to Dec 55,and decided to get my tickets the hard way,through the deck,did,nt work out,I was too lazy to study,and enjoying life in the for,csle,was at sea 17 years,mainly Wilsons,Port Lineand Blue Flue,but I had a great time,qand I have fond memories of B.N.S.some of the masters,Capt Allison Mrr Jones,Mr Evans, Mr Smethurst ,Mr Tolson .It,s hard to belief its 55 years ago.Im now retired,living in Eglinton,Northern Ireland.
    Regards John Meekin

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bns

Hi Humber and other BNS trainees, Just had a peek at the photos on the links, notice the practice of removing the stiffeners from the hats continued - you could always tell the new boys by their hats!!
    It is marvelous to see the bridge on top of the building, funny I never got to go up there, neither did I get to handle a sextant It seemed like only the few got to do interesting things!

Capt Alison was head and Mrs Alison took RI. Sven was science master (Can't remember his real name) and the only other I can remember was another captain who took seamanship and navigation! Can't remember his name either, but I'm sure it will come back to me.

Only once got into the boat at Princes Dock for boat work, and never got to do wire splicing!

Used to love going to the pictures especially the Tower, once visited the Locarno!

How come it amalgamated with Trinity House? The boys were as different as chalk and cheese!! The rivalry actually caused fights in the city centre!!! God, and those stupid monkey suits!

Ernest
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Found and lost or lost and found??

Hello Hawkeye1
    You found something,but looks like you lost it! haha!
    Where is it gone and what was it ?
    Cheers

REF YOUR POST#5

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boulevard Nautical School, Hull

I attended the Boulevard Nautical School from 1949 to 1951. When I first attended Capt.Beare was the headmaster. He was taken ill shortly after and died. His place was taken by Capt.Allison much to the disappointment of Mr Edmonson who was deputy head and had hopes of taking the Headship. It was a lovely school to be at, the masters were great, Mr Hutchinson - maths, Mr Waddington - english, Capt.Jones - navigation and chartwork and signals, Mr Davies - anything you want, Mr Evans - science. Mis Scott was the School Secretary. We used to get down to the loos at the back of the school for a smoke and Mr Edmonson used to creep upon us through the boilerhouse to catch us. The Mission for Fishermen next door was a favourite place at lunchtime to play snooker. The fisherman cookery school that was built in the playground was great. I would get down before break in the afternoon and buy up a lot of the goodies that had been made and sell them on to the lads at break. I remember that during the summer,a very attractive young woman used to sell ice cream from a Penna's ice cream pedal cart. The lads were always crowding round. I remember we used to get lots of homework - at least two hours a night, no slacking there. I went on to serve my time with the King Line Ltd.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default peter markam

Hi Peter,I was a couple of years after you at B.N.S.,but I recall a Markam in my year,not a Hull lad,but one of those lads who used to board out in houses round Hull,imagine the outcry if that happened today,a 13 year old,living in lodgings,but there was never any scandel in those days.
    Mr Smethurst,(maths) was our favorite teacher,he made the subject fun,the worst was Capt.Allison,he could,nt explain navigation to boys,he once asked if any of us could understand him,we all admitted we could,nt,we did,nt connect that Bob was doing the same work,but a different way.
    Mr Taylor did engineering in the wooden shed on the roadside,he did,nt make it a very interesting subject,(boring).
    Do you remember that strange contraption at the top of the stairs,it was the solar system in a large case,that had all the planets moving in their orbits,the only drawback,I never saw it working,it was broke.
    Well Peter,thats some of my memories of 1953-1955,a long time ago,but they were good times,
    best regards,
    John Meekin

14. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welcome!

Hi Peter Markham
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th July 2022 at 01:44 AM.

R697530

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boulevard Nautical School, Hull

It would be nice if bloggers would put their names to their messages. I was at the BNS 49 - 51 and by putting my name on, others attending at the same time would recognise me. It's no use putting Navigator or Humber, it doesn't mean a thing to me, I cannot recognise anyone from that, and I don't wish any offence to anyone who wishes to remain anonymous - Peter Markham

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast