Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ernest,

Like you I also went to Boulevard, from '57 to '59 along with a few other reprobates. Happy memories and times. I lodged out at a certain Mrs. Snows lodgings just round the corner along with another cadet called "Roger", can't remember his surname. Capt. Alison was great. I have some pics of the boys but have no idea how to put them on the site. Would love to hear from them again.
    I served my time with Union Castle and served on Clan Line ships as well, as Cayzer Irvine owned both companies. My first ship being the "Rochester Castle", one of the 5 to get through to Malta on tat famous convoy.
    Great times, great memories. I still enjoy looking up the old ships, all gone sadly. I must be sad syndrome !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi allyou BNS types.
    Just thought I would like to tell you ''youngsters'' that I went to the best sea school in Hull, Trinity House of course. 1946-1949..

They were great days and the best years followed.
    Hull was a great city too to grow up in.

Best wishes to all

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boulevard Nautical School

Hi Tercar, was there from 1951 - 1954, were you a bum freezer jacket or a square rigger. Perhaps maybe not the best school in Hull for education, but certainly the strictest and certainly made you proud to belong. Sited alongside Princes Dock and also the fitting out basin made us think that all ships would be shiny and new, that is until we went to boat lessons in Albert Dock (think it was Albert) when we saw all the rust buckets alongside. Hull a great city to grow up in for aspiring seafarers, as the smaller docks were open to the public and spent our lunchtimes in them. Alexandria and King George docks were easy to visit in uniform the coppers on the gates being very understanding. Then there were the trawler trips during the vacation periods to Iceland, Barents sea and White Sea when you were 13, 14 and 15, but we had to compete with Boulevard boys for those places, as Boulevard provided the future skippers for the fishing fleet.

Morning parades and uniform inspections (36 buttons plus trouser buttons) were a bit of a pain, as were the Sunday morning marching thro the city in white uniforms summer and winter, and marching down Posterngate everyday for your lunch passing Shipping Federation and the catcalls from the seamen waiting to sign on.

No doubt you will remember Ted Selby with his algebra, with his "if I've got 10 bananas in this hand and 10 oranges in this hand, what have I got" some wag would always mutter "bloody big hands" and Ted would do nothing until next week when an almighty crack on the back of the head of the wag was received and Ted would say "Yes I have, haven't I"

Unfortunately the uniform has changed in the last few years, not for the better it would appear and pride has gone in its maintenance, it's called progress.

Wouldn't have changed my time there though, the toughness made going to sea relatively easy for a first tripper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I studied for second mate's in 1960-1961.
    Also took radar observers at Fish dock in December 1960. The coldest place in UK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was a student at the Boulevard from 1950 to July 1953.
    I had originally sat and passed the extrance exam for Hull Trinity House but owing to my religion,
    (Roman Catholic) I couldn't go to Trinity House. I therefore sat and passed the entrance exam for
    Hull Nautical School. On reflection I ended up at the better school.
    Great teachers, except for Capt Alison who couldn't teach navigation for nuts even though he'd
    written a book on the subject. Bob Edmonson was great, so was Mr.Davis the History/Geography
    master. I think the guy who taught seamanship was Capt Roberts. I might have got his name wrong
    but remember he'd sailed with Prince Line. All in all a great school. Before leaving I became a Prefect
    and also coxwain of the School's lifeboat. I think we used to row it around Victoria Dock.
    I left in 1953(July) to start my Apprenticeship with The North Shipping Co,(Hugh Roberts & Son)
    a Tramp Ship Company. Sailed as Third Mate with various Shipping Companies. Came
    ashore in 1962 when I got married. Studied and started a new life as an Engineer and travelled
    around the world. Moved 27 times in the last 50 years so lost track of all my old class mates.
    So if anyone recognises me please get in touch

James Cafferty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a follow up to my last post. GOOD NEWs! BNS hasn't been demolished. I went by there yesterday
    The outer buildings have gone but the main building is still intact. It's now called "The Boulevard Centre". Apparently it's now a school for wayward girls,(11 to 13 years old) who have gotten themselves pregnant. Housed in the building is a nursery and classrooms. The girls can take their
    babies into classes with them while they continue to be taught a basic state education.
    Spent a happy half hour last night reading the 32 replies to this thread. Some funny and interesting
    stories. Why don't we keep this thread going? There must be lots of old BNS students who have
    interesting tales to tell,also some of you have only replied we basically a couple of lines giving the
    dates you were at the school. Come on guys, lets have a bit more info about yourselves.
    I'm sure you all have a interesting tale to tell. It's nice to know all of you seem to have fond memories of our old school.

best regards to all,

James Cafferty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BNS and THNS

Quote Originally Posted by Jimcaff View Post
    I was a student at the Boulevard from 1950 to July 1953.
    I had originally sat and passed the extrance exam for Hull Trinity House but owing to my religion,
    (Roman Catholic) I couldn't go to Trinity House. I therefore sat and passed the entrance exam for
    Hull Nautical School. On reflection I ended up at the better school.

James Cafferty.
    Hi Jim, I went to Trinity House from 1951 to 54, I was also Roman Catholic, wasn't seen as a problem by our RC priest. For education purposes you probably did end up at the better school, as most of our time was spent on parades and marching and also keeping the BNS infidels in their proper uniforms away from our girls! But then again our Nelson uniforms made us appear better looking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hull nautical college

john meekin i remember you iwas there 54 to 56 ended up with Blue funnell and then various companys until 1963 joined Police force in 1965 did thirty years nice to know u are ok

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hull Nautical School

John May this is dave Hind i was there same time as you I joined blue flu think you did as well ? what a blast from the past

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan Cloherty,
    Re Trinity House: You certainly had a understanding Priest. Both my Dad & my Parish Priest wouldn't
    entertain me attending services at Holy Trinity Church so that's why finally I went to study at BNS.
    Your name seems familiar. Are you originally from Hull? Do you have a sister called Yvonne and did you
    live on NHE, near Barmston Drain, Orchard Park Road?
    Would be great to hear from you.
    regards,
    James Cafferty.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast