Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bns remembered

Hi David Brooks,
    I was at BNS 1956-1958 and remember most of the teachers there.I was sorry to hear about Mr tolson,he taught us sport as well as english.He was a very good teacher and also Mr Davis who taught geography.I remember going down to Princes Dock for boat work,which included launching and raising the lifeboat from davits with rope and pullies and rowing round the dock.I think the boat was called the Jonas Hanway,and one weekend asked for volanteers to take the boat through the lock gates into the Humber to test its seaworthyness .It wouldn't be allowed today with all this health and safety.In the classroom on the middle of the front wall high up was a red spot and below it was a black line,this represented the sun and the horizon and was used when practising with the sextant.In my year some of the classmates i remember were Ken Curry who was my closest mate,we used to do homework together,George Askham,David lewis and i think ....?. davison who was his cousin.In a year higher there was Bob Lewis who was david's older brother,Jim Corbett, and Keith Oades.I lodged in a house in Askew Avenue with Mr and Mrs Pygott, who were very good to me,it was like home from home she was a very good cook.During the summer holidays i went on a three week trip on a trawler named Cape Duner,to get some sea experiance,which was very interesting,i think the trawler was owned by Hudson Bros.Co.I hope this is of interest to you.After BNS i joined Bankline...... but thats another story! sorry if there any spelling mistakes.

pete l. ( Peter Leech )

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Classmates

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Markham View Post
    I attended the Boulevard Nautical School from 1949 to 1951. When I first attended Capt.Beare was the headmaster. He was taken ill shortly after and died. His place was taken by Capt.Allison much to the disappointment of Mr Edmonson who was deputy head and had hopes of taking the Headship. It was a lovely school to be at, the masters were great, Mr Hutchinson - maths, Mr Waddington - english, Capt.Jones - navigation and chartwork and signals, Mr Davies - anything you want, Mr Evans - science. Mis Scott was the School Secretary. We used to get down to the loos at the back of the school for a smoke and Mr Edmonson used to creep upon us through the boilerhouse to catch us. The Mission for Fishermen next door was a favourite place at lunchtime to play snooker. The fisherman cookery school that was built in the playground was great. I would get down before break in the afternoon and buy up a lot of the goodies that had been made and sell them on to the lads at break. I remember that during the summer,a very attractive young woman used to sell ice cream from a Penna's ice cream pedal cart. The lads were always crowding round. I remember we used to get lots of homework - at least two hours a night, no slacking there. I went on to serve my time with the King Line Ltd.
    Hi I am trying to fnd any friends or former classmates of my Uncle. His name was Richard Robinson and he attended Boulevard Nautical school in the late 1940's. He went on to an apprenticeship and was sadly killed when his bike was in collison on Earles Road off Hedon Rd. He was going to attend a course for Merchant Navy when it happened. If there's anybody out there who can tell me about Boulevard School I'd love to "talk"
    Regrads
    Pam Hull

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Brook View Post
    Greetings to one and all.

I was at B.N.S from 54 to 56 - best school years of my life. Joined Shell as an apprentice. Left the M.N as 1st Mate in 66 and went into aviation until I retired.

Once did a website on the old school but whilst it had plenty of hits could never find anyone to help me maintain it so let it drop. If anyone is interested in resurrecting it please get in touch and would work with you to get it up and running again.

I organised a couple of re-unions, mostly for my class but others were welcome to come along.

I have the names and contact details of quite a number of old boys from various years – if you would like me to add yours to the data base please let me know and tell me what information you would like me to give to anyone who asks for your contact details.

Have quite a collection of newspaper cuttings and photos. Eventually will pass these onto Hull museum.

Hope the foregoing does not sound as if I am blowing my own trumpet just wanted to say that it would be a great idea to keep the memory of the school alive.

For those of you who knew ‘Ticker’ Tolson (English) you may not know that he crossed the bar in October of this year (2009)

Regards to one and all and may your sailings be smooth.

Brooksie
    Hi Brooksie
    I'd love you to add my name to your database . I do family history (professionally) and have just got round to researching my own Uncle! His name was Richard Robinson and I know he attended Boulevard Nautical School during 1949 as I have his Term Reports & Swimming Certificates. He died in a road accident whilst goin to attend a course on Earles Road. I'd love to "talk" to someone who can help me with details or photos of the school at that time
    Regards
    Pam

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bns

I logged onto YOU TUBE and entered Boulevard Nautical School, found 4 short films of the school, including 1 of photo's. What a surprise when I found a photo of myself and other class mates who had visited the Empire Star in KG Dock. When I can I will post 2 school photos 1960 & 1962.
    I attended BNS from 1960/63. Left December 1963 and joined my first ship Caledonia Star in Liverpool.
    Regards
    Freebee
    Last edited by Brian Freeman; 22nd July 2011 at 09:36 PM.

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ernest, I was there 57/58. It was a fabulous time. Great place, great school, great teacher. I lodged just round the corner. Would love to hear of any of the other guys at that time. I went off to Union Castle, one of the other guys "wanted" to serve on Bank Line. Sad the place has been pulled down. Our best prank was to put milk bottles in the heads enginine instead of pistons.

joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter, I have just joined the forum. I was at the BNS between September 1955 and December 1957. I came from the same village as Keith Oades. I knew Jim Corbett. It seems we both went to sea on the Cape Duner. I went on it in the summer of 1956.I left BNS and joined Ellerman Wilson Line. I only did my apprenticeship and then left.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike,I have just read your last post,I went on Cape Duner the summer after you.I spent a lot of time with Keith Oades and Jim Corbett while we were at Hull,they left a few months before me.I think Keith came from Thurnscoe and Jim from Whiston near Rotherham,I have'nt seen Jim since but I saw Keith about 35 years ago,he was working in a furniture store in Doncaster.Does'nt time fly.!!!!!!!!
    pete.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B.N.S. and Thurnscoe

Hi Michael.... It seems that Thurnscoe was very well represented at BNS. Round about the time that you were there, I can recall quite a few from that little old mining village. Apart from yourself there were Kieth Oades, Tony Morris, Dennis Hopperand Terry Scarrott, I was the next one from Thurnscoe (Russ McLean) in59 followed by Peter Scarrott (Terry's younger brother), Terry Hey, David Walsh,Michael Bentley and then by none other than Ernest in sunny Spain (Ernest Fletcher NAVIGATOR)). I'm sure that there were many more before and possibly a few after.
    Regards
    Russ McLean

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boulevard Pre-Sea Department - Terry Lamming

Hi Lads,

I was in the Pre-Sea section at Boulevard from 1961 to 1963. Joined Buries Markes in July, 2 days after leaving school. I enjoyed my time there, but couldn't wait to get to sea.

Ken Dearlove, from Cottingham and Paul Gregory, from Knottingley, joined Buries Markes at the same time, after our interviews in London together.

Out tutors were Jim Weatherstone - Navigation and Signals. Mr Buckle - Maths and English. 'Billy' Littlewood - Seamanship and Boathandling. Mr Feron - Engineering Science.

I learned a lot from those fellows and will always appreciate them. Sadly I believe only Mr Feron is still alive, living in Filey.

Regards to all ex 'Boulevarders' - Terry Lamming from Goole.
    Last edited by Terry Lamming; 6th June 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: missed last line

Tony Morcom Guest

I remember Mssrs Weatherstone, Littlewood and Feron from my days there when it was known as Hull Nautical College. I was there in 1974 and 1976 for my 2nd Mates and ONC.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast