Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Freebee

Only the smaller outer biuldings have been demolished, the main building still stands, but what it is used for now I do not know.
    Regards
    Freebee

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Summer trips on trawlers - Pleasuring?

I recall a trip I made in 1949 in the" Stella Canopus". A diesel fired steam trawler - sidewinder. First time I'd ever been to sea. I was as sick as a dog from leaving the Humber for two days. The skipper was Joe Taylor and there were three other pleasurers - the skippers son and two cadets from the' Conway' - the Eton of pre-sea training. The skippers son and I were working, chopping ice on the way out to the grounds. and once we started fishing we were gutting and also down in the fish hold shovelling ice. It was hard work but I enjoyed it. Shore rations only lasted 'til we got to the White Sea grounds and then it was fish all the way. Those trawler cooks certainly earned their money. The arctic circle with the midnight sun and the russian gunboats patrolling. Off to Bear Island to finish off and then home. Good experience. Peter Markham

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone remember a Mick Woods or a Brian Taylor I think they were there between 1955-60. I went to Paisley St school with them before they went to BNS. I heard Mick crossed the bar a couple of years ago, we shared the same birthday except I was one year older, I also sailed with him on the Cape Grenville June 60 to Feb 61 we were both JOS/SOS. If you sailed with either Mick or Brian let me know.

Joe Cassidy.

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Humber

That is a great pic of the old school. Glad to see its still standing.

We never got to see a view like that before. Inside the gates used to be the training kitchens mainly for trawler cooks.

On the right hand side used to be a library of some description. I remember looking at the dictionaries with modern "dirty words" in!

And finally on the left were the cramming huts for second mates and above.

Oh and of course the brothels on the crossroads opposite!!!

Ernest
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Burtons the Tailors

Hi Humber.
    Remember it well ,top floor for the lantern test.
    Michael

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default john

gosh what memories you have stirred up, I was there from 54 to 57, and then joined Blue Flue, wonderful years, mind you they still are, and now I live in NZ,
    thanks for the memory jog.
    John May.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boulevard

Hi all

Hope you will let an ex Trinity House boy 1951-1954 join your exalted memories, read all your comments with interest and appreciation, brought back many memories.

Took my ticket at Boulevard, of course there was rivalry between our two schools, if I remember rightly it was for girls!, you lot stood a better chance as your uniforms were the pukka deep sea jobs whereas ours were Nelsons, not that we didn't have pride in them, we certainly did, but they were always a bone of contention between our two schools with many an impromptu fight overthe Victoria toilets and Queens Gardens where the girls from the grammar schools used to hang out. Those were the days never did us any harm though, the boxing lessons came in useful

Did a couple of trawler trips 1951/1952 and can relate to the stories told, bloody hard work but enjoyed it , my trawlers were "St Bendedict" (the side winder) and the "Swanland" built 1914, she was something else again, stripped to the waste chopping ice whilst rolling and pitching all over the place and falling all over the plaice!.

Ah! The Burtons Building entered with trepedition and foreboding, would you have a pink slip or not upon leaving.

Thanks for letting me in Regards to all who served at BTS and HTHNS

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default YFA link

Hi Humber,

Just watched the clip from the YFA, and it certainly brought back memories!!!

I just wonder how you manage to drag up these thing for our delictation?

Regards

Ernest
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bns

Hi All
    Just watched the clip of BNS and Trinity House. Brought some memories back seeing my old school mate, Jimmy McKenzie up on the roof with 'Chut' Jones. Jimmy was featured in this clip, as he was an orphan and lived in Buxton Brown House at the Sailors Childrens Society on Cottingham Road.
    I remember my pleasure trip (with Jimmy) very well. We sailed aboard the 'Arctic Invader' to Spitzbergen in the summer of 60. The skipper was Phil Garner, His knickname in the fishing fraternity was fascinating Phil. Sadly Phil is no longer with us. He crossed the bar a few years back. However I enjoyed the trip that much and the fact that my father had a poorly paid job and couldn't afford to buy my kit for going to sea. I decided that I would earn the money myself. I left BNS at Xmas 60, and in January I signed on the Loch Seaforth as 'deckie learner' (stupid boy) . I managed to weather it out and saved up and bought my own kit, although I found it very hard work.
    Hi Ernest (Navigator) ... I have just realized, after reading one of your posts that you sailed on the Arctic Ranger. When you were at my house last yearI could have shown you a print from an oil painting of the Arctic Ranger, which is hanging in my hall. Maybe next time. Oh and keep the jokes coming, some beauties.
    Regards
    Russ

18. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just spotted the photos posted by humber, summer 1960 term. Do I recognise anyone? Certainly do. I spotted myself. Left hand of photo, 2nd row from back, 7th from left. Rember that photo being taken as though it was yesterday. I remember the camera being motorized. As we were all standing in an arc, the camera started at one end and gradually turned to the other end taking the picture as it went. Clever stuff
    Russ

20. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast