Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default photos

Thanks (Vernon), if anyone has photographs taken at BNS 49/51 I would be glad of a sight of them. I seem to remember there was one taken just after I joined in 49 but unfortunately I don't have a copy. From the correspondence, everyone seems to have fond memories of the School, and all seem to have done all right in life. I enjoyed my time there, my form mates were the Garrigan brothers, Colin Barber, Adams (who joined the Prince Line), Gordon Brady, Fred Kinnersley (who became a doctor) and Higson-Smith. Ah! Happy, carefree days - Peter Markham
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th July 2022 at 01:48 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bns

What a nice suprise to find a thread relating to my old school! The photo of the lads on the fo'cstle of a ship in the docks being taught about anchors by Chut Jones raised a smile, the only time I got out was for lifeboat practise in Victoria dock!
    I was there from April 1965 until October 1968, when there was already talk of shutting the school but I believe this did'nt happen until the early 70's. I returned for a reunion around 1995 and was suprised to see the school still being used as a teaching establishment although by the local university,even the mates and masters prefabs were still in use.
    I was saddened to read the school has now being demolished, it goes to show Hull is no longer the important port it once was.
    After 6 years with BP I came ashore to work for Total for the next 34 and am now retired and living in Lincolnshire.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Naughtical School!

Dont know if this relates to anything here but thought it rather good!
    Cheers

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th December 2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bns web site

A while ago there was a web site dedicated to this school www.bns.co.uk it was run by an ex pupil who worked for Shell tankers. It contained loads of information on staff and pupils year by year, unfortunately it seems to have gone. Does anyone have any idea what happened to all the info it contained?
    On a different note I do recognise Robin Sextons name as he started at the school just 6 months before me!

7. Thanks Ian Walker, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bns

Thanks Humber, thats the guy!
    It's a shame he had to close it down as it contained a great deal of interesting information. I personally recognised quite a number of names from the mid 60's and whilst I might not have wanted to contact anyone it was still interesting to read what some schoolfriends had experienced during their lives.
    I certainly look back on those years with some affection, living away from home and travelling on the Humber ferry every weekend was very different to my friends back in Barton. On top of this steam engines passed just a few hundred yards from my digs and my favorite shop (Miles the Lambretta agents) were at the Anlaby road end of the Boulevard.....life could'nt get any better!!!

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pleasure trips

Hello Humber, yes, I remember them very well!!
    During the summer holidays of my last year at the school (1968) it was commonplace for the students to get a taste of sea life by signing on as a supernumary on one of the many trawlers or cargo ships whoes offices were based in Hull.
    I had helped out a barge owning family friend several times over school holidays running bales of natural rope fibre from King George dock to the ropery in Barton so I had no wish to join a trawler, instead I got in touch with Hullgates shipping and they organized a three week voyage on the Hesslegate.
    I think she was a little 500 ton coaster with two holds and wooden board hatches covered over by tarpaulins just like the barges! I joined her in Goole were she loaded a cargo of coal for a little place called Fremington in Devon were the station master was also the ships agent! All the cargo was discharged by steam crane into railway wagons.....it took ages!
    Then it was down to Par for a full cargo of china clay for Aberdeen, coming back up the North sea I have never been so seasick in all my life! The skipper encouraged me to keep a log of the voyage, something which I still have.
    I returned home by train, kindly paid for by the company. What an experience and one which will stay with me for the rest of life.
    My next ship which was the 50000ton British Hussar which I joined in Birkenhead drydock the following year, was in contrast the biggest thing I had ever seen in my life!!

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pleasure trips

I certainly remember the trip I was on! Lloyd line put me on the Arctic Ranger in the summer of '63. I enjoyed it thoroughly! Never sea sick, working day and night hauling and gutting, stacking in the ice hold. Never newthere were so many ways to cook FISH!

One on the other lads from the school was with me, one of the school's hard boys, he was sick as a dog most of the trip! My final 4 months at the school were great as my shipmate looked after me (to keep my mouth shut about the trip!)

Ahhhh, memories.......................

Ernest
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Robin,
    I have just found the site, Im sure we started at the same time. A few names that come to mind, Dave Machine, Terry Frith, Tony Lowery and I cant remember their first names but there was Casswel, Raynard and Ducker. I remember playing football and rugby against the bilges, Mr Fox doing the rugby coaching. Happy days.

Trev Daubney

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Treveo, welcome to the site, best around. If you have a list of ships with dates and care to list them you may well get some replies from those who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bns

Hi Trev

Following up on Aussie John's post, It would be helpful if you could post your dates at the school.

I have found one of my old schoolmates who is now living in NZ!

Ernest
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

19. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast