Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School

I forgot to add, if anyone recognises anyone on the photo and can't remember a name, then I think I know 'em all.. As for the date on the bottom .... Deliberate mistake should be 1957, just seeing how many of you were awake that's all and no I'm not hitch-hiking home this weekend !!

Saludos

Antony

2. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School, Hull

In the late 1950's, I had a friend who started at Boulevard. He apparently got on OK with all the theory stuff, but when the need came for him to do his first experience of a sea trip, he found himself on trawler out of Hull going to the Arctic at back, in Winter, a trip of between 2 and 3 weeks.

When he got back, he was almost un-recognisable. Gone the rather flabby face. Gone his usual over-self-confidence.
    In response to me question "How did it go?".
    "Terrible, awful. I was severely sea-sick from Day 1, and that continued throughout the trip, so I could never keep any food down."
    "That's me finished with ships - never again am I going to sea. So I am finished with Boulevard too."

He was aged, I guess, about 19 or 20, so it was a relatively good time to have a change of career.

But it is surprising how many long-time mariners I later met did suffer from sea-sickness from time to time, even Captains nearing retiring age.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Tony Taylor, N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well ray we have one or two ex trawlermen on here ...our own Ivan cloherty ....at sea at 13 in trawlers ...ships master on tramps further down the line .....it must be bad to suffer such a malady .....can only state i was never sea sick ....was certainly on some trips pig sick .....and feeling sick with fright once or twice .....and anyone who ses they were never feared are tellling lies.....regards cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ray he should have sailed with me in 1951 aged 13, on an old coal fired trawler out to Iceland and Bear Island, when I said I felt sick, they tied me to the foc'le rails facing for'd for a couple of hours, first I was too scared to be sick and later became fascinated by the approaching rollers coming towards me and forgot all about being sick, and was never ever seasick afterwards. Nowadays they would face criminal charges of common assault, in those days it was just normal, didn't mean they were cruel, as they always made sure you were safe throughout the 4 weeks, but also ensured you pulled your weight. I suppose at 13, you don't see danger, only adventure, anyway during the war we'd already seen danger

I would have thought that 19/20 was a bit too old to attend Boulevard, as normally it was around 13/17, Hull Trinity House you had to be 12/14 (max) for first year, most joined at aged 12 as it was a four year punishment before going to sea as an apprentice/cadet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About that time, the college(Its got that heading on my school reports), had an arrangement with the Trawler Owners Association to allow trips to be made to the deep sea fishing by the senior boys to the deep sea fishing grounds off Iceland, as Dekkie Learners. I went with a friend called Derek Thorpe on H240 Lancella, a Marr and Son trawler. When we got to the Pentland Firth, it was a bit "lumpy" and Derek was as sick as a dog for a couple of days. I don't think he was a fan of the corkscrew. Needles to say, he didn't get much sympathy from the crew. We lost touch when I left for the far east with Asiatic Steam Navigation Company, later taken over by P&O. Struggled through a few typhoons in the Bay of Bengal myself and been scared witless(or something that sounds like that) a few times, especially when deck cargo breaks loose, but never been sick. Happy Days

Regards Antony

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like to think that it was due to circumstances beyond my control that I went into the North Sea offshore Industry. But it was because of lack of work , wanting to be closer to home for then teenage children , and to do what a father is supposed to do. However there were still jobs foreign flag, not what some would call career future jobs however. However the North Sea was it, starting a total new aspect of shipping and a new learning curve. It was a time when deep sea men were just starting to appear on the scene and in a lot of cases was not liked by those who had been there from the start , as suppose they saw their jobs being also in jepourdy . However as mate we occassionly when carried a second mate from deep sea unused to smaller vessels and were sick nearly all the time, they were given a bucket to hang round their neck and told to get on with it, there was no room for passengers. Invariably they never did a second trip. Where they went from there I have no
    idea. As work at sea was in a steady and ruthless decline. Where at one time you were headhunted then you had to go cap in hand , which invariably did little good. As my previous statements to finish up on stand by vessels at one time , there was no further downward movement there was nothing there, any self respecting seaman would have turned their nose up at. Other parts of the Industry were reasonably paid , not film star wages but in line with deep sea. I only hope the UKs getting back its sovereignty may have some effect to the good. especially in the short term for our once large fishing industry. JS
    R575129

10. Thanks N/A, cappy, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all, I have just spent the last hour reading all the threads from the past 12 years about all the guys who spent time at the BNS, it brought back great memories. I spent three years at the nautical school between 1965 and 1968.The headmaster was captain Allison his wife flossy taught R E the other teachers I remember we're nobby clark, captain flavel, Hawkins and Jonny Mahon who took p e. Does anyone remember any of the other teachers. I remember inspections in the playground taken by captain Allison if your hair was to long you were sent to George's to get it cut, I spent many a dinner hour in there, you could buy single fags (that's were my dinner money went) sometimes I would get a school dinner from the school at the end of the boulevard, not a pleasant experience. Some names I remember are Kevin Savage, John Needley, Steve Nicholson, Denis Kilkenny, the head boy at the time was Denis Waller, if there is anyone out there from the class of 65 to 68 who can remember a few more names that would be great. I still have the school photo from 1965 but it's about a foot long and I don't know how to upload it ( it's my age).I left nautical school in December 1968 and joined Hain Nourse in January 69 my first ship was the M.V.Trevaylor. I spent the next 10 years at sea and had the best time of my life. Regards to all Mike Hamby

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hamby View Post
    I still have the school photo from 1965 but it's about a foot long and I don't know how to upload it ( it's my age).I left nautical school in December 1968
    Eh! Mike, you're not old, a lot of us on here were born in the 1930's, but in our minds we're still 21, or was it 22? MATRON! have you seen my calendar?

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Eh! Mike, you're not old, a lot of us on here were born in the 1930's, but in our minds we're still 21, or was it 22? MATRON! have you seen my calendar?
    Ivan, I like to think of us as all 16 year old's with many years of worldly experience.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, this may help.

asked a friend who has crossed 70 & is heading towards 80 what sort of changes he is feeling in himself? He sent me the following:

1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children and my friends, I have now started loving myself.

2 I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.

3 I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few pennies more is not going to break me, but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.

4 I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.

5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past.

6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.

7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You.”

8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.

9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.

10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.

11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.

12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships, I will never be alone.

13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.

14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Likes j.sabourn, cappy, N/A, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast