Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vindicatrix-memorial

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vindicatrix-memorial

On the MEDIA of Cunard we had a lad from New York in the crows nest all the way to Liverpool,
    and on the Dunedin Star a fireman brought his brother back from Melbourne to England, unfortunately he was epileptic and was always having fits, and it was quite a job every week on Masters Inspection shuffling him around so he would not be seen,
    at Christmas in Dunkirk he was arrested by the Police and locked up for three days, the Captain went and bailed nhim out thinking he was the Fireman and logged him three days pay plus the fines.
    He went ashore in Hull and got the train to Liverpool and George , his brother collapsed and died in Hull due to all the strain

On the GEORGIC taking 10 Poms to Oz we had four stowaways , but they were put ashore in Las Palmas.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 10th September 2018 at 09:04 AM.

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is another video of the 2013 Vindi meet up and ceremony at the memorial, some may be recognised at the party afterwards, apologies if its been posted before , KT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMtRO0ZIEa0
    R689823

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was there about that time and remember Costello, I found him OK, he made me up into a Trainee senior Steward, no strings attached I assure you. I heard he later went back to sea. My Number was R730302. I was already College trained having previously done a years City and Guilds course in Catering, so found it very easy, I too enjoyed my stay there, looking back the instructors were mostly people who had gone to sea a long time ago and didn't have a clue about real life experiences enjoyed at sea by most at that time. I left the MN after the first national strike against wages and conditions, I had been away for a year and had 3 months leave , the strike started just as my leave finished, so I was stony broke, I got a shore job and never went back as my contract had expired also. Many fond memories though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4