Thread: School of Navigation - Plymouth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: School of Navigation - Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Cullum View Post
    Hi,

My name is Stuart Cullum and I attended Plymouth as a Deck Apprentice employed by Shell Tankers (UK), for my Phase 1 from September 1967 to March 1968 and for Phase 3 from September 1969 to March 1970.

Phil Purdie, Matt Beddow, Stuart Harper, Chris Cowell, Stuart Trought and myself are in touch and meet for a beer and catch up, and would like to reconnect with anyone else who was around at the time.

Get in touch through the site

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/p...=newpm&u=17815
    Hi Stuart,
    I don't remember your name but as a BI cadet I sailed with Phil Purdie and Chris Cowell on the BI cadetship MS Chantala.
    It would be good to contact them. I have a photo of a group of us attending the Plymouth Navigation Ball. I am sure that would be a good thing to share.
    Regards,
    Peter Ward

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=roger sanders;254304]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Cullum View Post

Hi,

My name is Stuart Cullum
    Get in touch through the site

Hi
    Roger Sanders here I remember some of those names from 66-68,I was an engineering cadet with B&C and am still in touch with Andy Roots,Jan Colbe,Owen Waters and Bob Marshall, unfortunately Steve Hobbs who was the other guy in our 'cabin' in Portland Square passed away after a motorcycle accident over 20 years ago. I remember Stuart Harper from North Road hostel with Bill Currie as warden.
    Stayed deep sea until 1974 when I left and worked for British Rail in Holyhead for two years and then met an air stewardess in my local who I married in 1985. Now living in a small village near Brighton and running my own engineering company making powder processing equipment. Those 8/10 years in the MN were probably the best of my life until my son came along in 1994.
    Roger, I sailed with a deck cadet called Bob Marshall (Shell - Voluta) in 69/70, could it be same one? He could not have bin more than about 17ish? slightly built. I have a photo of him taking a break, the brush he had was nearly as big as him.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Stuart, Gordon Rowley Here, I've just joined the club and sent you a reply using web address above but don't see on this thread now. Not sure if you saw it.
    Gordon.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alan

I finally retrieved my password and have seen your posting. I retired last February and moved to a place north of Tucson, Arizona in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains. I don’t think it is possible to get more opposite to the marine environment - desert, cactus and mountains.
    Since coming ashore I have worked and lived in eastern Europe, under the communists, Africa, the Persian Gulf and the north, south and now the southwest of the USA and at one time was responsible for business in Mexico and Canada. One would not necessarily think of Canada or the USA as a Brown Envelope environment but my experience proved otherwise. In Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, on those rare occasions that corruption was heard or talked about it tended to be on a large or even massive scale and totally out of my league. In Canada and the USA it was very common even all pervasive but small, bottles of good scotch, lunches, golf clubs, rounds of golf, plane tickets for wives, logo clothing etc. Many companies (even oil companies) allowed it but with say $100 limit.
    Covid has been a real pain in the a. I have had both shots, the booster and Omicron over Christmas. I have enough antibodies to protect me from a middle ages plague.
    All the best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1970 PLYMOUTH Engineer Cadet Intake 50th Reunion

Due to Covid and other events the Plymouth Engineer Cadet intake of 1970 reunion has been rescheduled for September 2022. Numbers are now up to around 30 but still looking for others still out there!
    Any leads appreciated!

9. Thanks Graham Shaw, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hiho Alan,

I was an Eng App in Plymouth for 2 years from Sept 1967. I was in 10 Queen Annes Terrace, Chief Towzer was the warden!! The names Pete Gill, Chris Savage, Ben Cook certainly ring a bell!!

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lee View Post
    Hiho Alan,

I was an Eng App in Plymouth for 2 years from Sept 1967. I was in 10 Queen Annes Terrace, Chief Towzer was the warden!! The names Pete Gill, Chris Savage, Ben Cook certainly ring a bell!!
    Hi Steve: I haven't been on the site for a while and only just saw your post. I remember your name, but cannot remember your face, but is has been 52 years!

I was at 22 Portland Square (now demolished), Merrifield Hall, and the new College Building when it opened in 1970.

Pete Gill became Marine Superintendent in Shell, and then retired to his place of origin, Guernsey.

Chris Savage left Shell, became Master in S. Africa, and is now retired.

Ben Cook spent several years as Second Mate, but he struggled with diabetes, and took early retirement. He died about 2014.

I left Shell as 2/O, and went offshore North Sea, rising to C/O on Anchor-Handlers. In 1980, I was offered command of a new-build Platform Supply vessel in Canada, and spent 7 years as Master before coming ashore as a Nautical School Instructor, then Marine Superintendent, and for the last 33 years as a Port State Control Officer with Transport Canada Marine Safety, and still having fun. Best regards, Alan

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just about remember Stephen Lee, from the West Country I think, Barnstaple? biggish bloke, blond hair. Shared the same cabin in 10Q
    Age is preventing me from recalling more of the folk!
    After almost 37 years with Shell, I became Harbour Master in Guernsey for nearly ten more years and having retired from that, was appointed as a Jurat of the Royal Court. The population is too few to have random juries with no connection to any of the relevant parties, so there are sixteen of us Jurats who perform this function for all the larger cases ( 9 sitting). This provides, if nothing else, consistency. Also different to the British system, we did the sentencing as well - among a number of other less stressful and more enjoyable tasks.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2