Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TS Arethusa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink help

Hi Looking for any ex Arethusa boys living in Western Australia. I served on the Arethusa from 22/04/59 till 02/01/61 . lived in Oz since 1966 can you help Tony

2. Likes Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you ever get back to New York she is there at the South Street Museum, She is magnificent, fully rerigged and under her old name of PEKING.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Tony and welcome to the site. The best way to see if there is anyone out there who remembers you is to list all your ships with some dates if you have them. Sure there will be some out there, so sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool hopping

G`day John.
    Not so easy got put straight into the grey funnel line HMS Ganges ,Ark Royal,Adamant,Tiger and a few months in various brigs.Sailed with Stateships and iron boats(BHP) .Came ashore in 1971. Just wondering if there are any ex Arethusa boys in the west.Tony.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

G`day Captain Con.
    I spent enough time climbing the rigging of the Arethusa was even button boy ,could`nt do it now.
    A bit of trivia along side the Arethusa was a small vessel called the Glen Straifalen ?? the engines from this ship are in the science museum in London.tony

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Arethusa

Hello Ian....I see from your post of January last, that you were on the 'Are' in the mid-fifties. If I'm not mistaken, your No.80 would have placed you (just) in Mess 8 (Fo'c'stle Port) and your Divisional Officer was 'Peggy' Thoms ( a true gentleman) am I right? I too was on Arethusa from Jan.1955 to May 1956. My No. was 123 (easy to remember), Mess 13 (Top Starboard). Is it possible that we were there at the same time? Would be interested to hear back from you.....Cheers, Roger.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Glen Srathallan

Hi Tony.......Was interested to learn that the engines from the Glen Strathallan are now in the ScienceMuseum, London. I have often wondered what became of her when she was finally disposed of. I was on the Arethusa when she first came alongside in late '55 or early '56 and thereafter was often able to climb down the ladder and have a look around. I believe that she was originally a trawler converted into a private yacht. When the owner passed on he had bequeathed her directly to Arethusa or the Shaftesbury Homes Society, not sure which. I, too, live in Australia (since 1966) but am in Sydney so can't see us getting together for a beer and chat just yet, but never say never......Cheers, Roger.

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

H i Roger.
    Yes what you said about the Glen is correct For us it was out of bounds, a unmaned ship is very scarey I never even went on to its deck.Yes never say never my wife and I come over fossicking for sapphire,opal around Glen Iris before heading north to Queensland do you get that far north?.What ever is said about the "ARE" I only have good memories. Good to hear from you enjoy life Tony

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Arethusa

hi
    My brother Clinton Jones mess 11, no 103 was on the Arethusa between I think 1958 to 1961 then he was on the Blue Star lines untill 1966 When he was in a road traffic accident, were he received head injuries,he was in a comber for 4 month and when he came out of it all he could remember and talk about was the 4 masts on the Arethusa,after a few years he recovered 75% ,He has lived in Australia since 1969,When I visited him he was talking about the Arethusa and woundering about the boys he was with I have some photos witch I will upload as well,So if any one can remember him please let me know
    Thank you on my brothers behalf
    Lynn Stockbridge. ne Jones

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2