Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TS Vindicatrix

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TS Vindicatrix

That Re-union would have to be one of my best week-ends ever.From Go! to Whoa! That Dockers Club,the atmosphere. Great !
    Reminiscent of the High ,one was on in the week,we became "Pool Boys" Though reinforced now too ,by the freely flowing Ale. and friendly Staff. Had no idea ,such a joint existed. " In Sharpness? Never!"
    That was the Friday night.
    Sat. Morning, out of curiosity ,explored the upstairs Bar. Probably seven -eight customers there . Two at the Bar . Realised then ,immaculately dressed, next to me was Roy Derham,Founder of the Vindi .Association. When I told him ,was member of the Qld. Branch. He immediately displayed ,the Cufflinks
    of his Shirt sleeves.. Pleased as Punch .
    They'd been previously brought to one of our Meetings,which were held at the Flying Tab Nab,at Hamilton Wharf. Brisbane .Donated to the meeting by one of the very popular members. as recognition for the help and support ,From and For.Roy Derham . (Then under Challenge,by a breakaway Group, East Kent .) About half,doz. of us had contributed to the cost. As a joint venture. Never expected to see them again ,some twelve months and 12.000 miles later though.

He was obviously delighted. Shortly after .He took off for what was a demanding day. with the unveiling arrangements etc.
    Couple seated at a Table behind .The husband, and I exchanged a few pleasantries. Then we realised Both knew each other well. .He was a legend in the Camp. Barber Brown , even some of the Officers ,displayed a modicum of respect ,regarding his outspokenness Hard to believe I know , but true.
    His Group had left ,several weeks before Ours.
    I was home ,almost three weeks,.Going to the Port Talbot Pool ,couple of times a week,as instructed.
    Times were Quiet. Every time the Pool Man,picked up the Phone.Would think is this it? Is this a Job for me. ? Then the usual, "Come back next Tues." Whatever! Next Tues ,might go up the Stairway .Hold on to the left rail, this time. Might change my luck. Then ,one day ,phone goes, ,bit of murmuring going on.
    puts it down. says ".I've got a job for you. at Sharpness. Brazen Head, they want a Cabin Boy . He said.
    "Take that ,and i'll put you back to Deck ,when you come back.
    So there I am .P.C.5 issued .Railway Warrant ,"Be there tomorrow .O.K.?"

F. me I'm thinking,just done three months , and of all the Ports , going there again. At least ,knew the way . After crossing the Bridge from Lydney, arrived Sharpness. just myself and one other ,got off the train. made the way down to the Quay ,found the shipping office. Trepidation !Two people at the Table. The Shipping Master and the Master of the Ship. After Signing, The Capt. ,in a broad West Walian accent,says ' Anyone else get off the Train, with ew? I replied ,Yes a Ginger -haired Bloke."
    He in a sterner tone says ."That Ginger-haired Bloke, is my Second Officer"
    (Here endeth my first lesson!)
    Barber Brown was one of the three Deck boys ,aboard. She carried a A.B & Deck-boy . each Watch.
    Couple A.B's & Bosun Day work. Open foc'sle.and a three Berth.cabin. Barber and another ,same era ,Vindi boy. Holman. Were paying- off ,on our return to Sharpness.
    So I was able to re-sign and Move my gear ,For'd.
    Little sideline.For those who knew Mr Strange aka Strangie .The Instructor. Went ashore .
    Couple days after arrival. With the Cook and Asst. Steward. Quiet Ship! Kicked -off with a few Beers in the centre of Berkeley.Then a pub on the road ,back ,towards Sharpness. In there ,just a couple of the locals -Yokels? "Be You orf that same ship as that London boy? " Aye"! Where's He now.? "Paid-off"!
    "Well !,Good thing ,He bain't be 'ere las.night. " Strangei's two Brudders were looking for him." "Why"?
    Cos ,He said," "I remember Mr. Strange! Went to Sea ,on a Troopship ,didn't He"?

Come to think of it .the Pub couldn't have been far from the little church ,to which we;d walk , on a Sunday night ,"The almost three miles,sing a few Hymns. With the knowledge "They give you Tea and Sarnies ,after. Recall the Minister ,saying ,The most requested by the Welsh boys, was ."There is a Green Hill far away" Didn't have much meaning ,to me .as it wasn't among my attempted repertoire ,during my Church Parade ,days ,with the Bridgend -Porthcawl Sea-Cadets
    . Being more familiar .with .the Sally Army.songs. They held a meeting ,Sunday Arvos in our Community Hall , on The Housing estate ,built for workers .at the large Ordnance factory .most of our families having been resettled ,from War - time London ,
    Birmingham,. [Margate .Ramsgate. etc.( the kids from there south coast. ),would show us Shrapnel , from the cross Channel ,guns.
    Having been directed ,as one of my One year probation conditions . (for Vandalism)'to attend a Christian ,Whatever. On a weekly basis. So luckily , A Sally -Army ,Sunday school ,was held in the Community Hall .We had jolly Songs. 'Joy! Joy! My heart is full of Joy. or "My cups full and running over, (with the appropriate motions.] good exercise for the fingers. Incidentally,
    There was a Stunner named Joy.Used to look at Her from afar.Wouldn't be interested in me though. Must be nearly fourteen. She had to be at least .two years older. No chance ! Scandal ! Two years later,Some Lothario.had impregnated., lovely Joy. Don't think .Like the upper Classes ,a trip to Madeira , to escape the Gossip, was possible .Case of ,Grin and Bear ,it.

Where were we ? Oh yes! Sharpness. Discharged the Peanuts, Came back again From the Gambia, with another load. Then next time , change of direction , Glasgow on the Clyde.After that .Pay -off.
    Didn't see Sharpness again till couple of the Re-unions. Didn't get a chance to ask the Capt. Warwick If he was related to a Third Officer , Q.Mary 1956 . Forgetting ,the passage of years ,discarded the notion ,could be his son . Too young ,was my conclusion . As it turns out ,find now He is. Had been late or slow arriving to the Monument unveiling area. Reason had some very pleasant company,whilst imbibing ,on that glorious Summers afternoon ,outside the Dockers Club, on the Bench ,as the Boys many, from now, "All Over The World'.Made their way down to the Ceremony. What I recall that afternoon ,was when some of my Crowd ,returning past my curtailed vantage point ,on the Pathway. Were agog. Remarking of the Beauty of his young wife.
    Regarding the evening ,with the Chas & Dave type Band .Some "falling down before sitting down"
    and that was only the Women! One very un-inhibited in particular , with her obviously proud of Her, Partner. Wearing a Skirt.,which if She touched her toes would have strangled her, was a bundle of joy and added to the atmosphere.
    if that night Can be recaptured .BRING IT ON!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is all happening again tonight Evan, the Reunion is now.
    Unfortunately cannot go this time.
    I have known Captain Warwick for some years now and when Roy Derham wanted a suggestion of who to invite for the Unveiling of the Monument, Some had suggested Lord John Prescott, I said there would be a riot if he came to unveil it. so I suggested Captain Warwick, Master of QE2, and passed on the information to contact him.
    In the upstairs Bar and meeting room The Committee invited Captain Warwick and his Lovely wife,Kim, and they had a presentation, I went to go in and they threw me out, I protested that it was my idea to invite them and they were friends of mine. No Chance, said the Committee men get out.
    Later Captain Warwick said to me, "Where were you, I didnt see you there"?
    So I went off the Committee, a load of arrogant thingies.
    Brian

3. Thanks Evan Lewis thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Almost brought a lump to my throat when I read this
    David Williams
    Vindi Oct/Nov 1952

5. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, John F Collier, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave, I only discovered this when I was researching my family's history, my great grandfather was a clock maker and taught all of his son's his trade, my great uncle Tom Donald joined the RN and maybe as he
    was a clockmaker became a aircraft mechanic, he left behind a wife and daughter. His nephew, my uncle Chris went through the war as a soldier right from the beginning of the war until he was killed in Flanders about three weeks before the war ended. If you are interested Dave, you can see the photo's of the Hermes sinking by the stern and I think Tom Donald Collier could have been in the hangar working on the plane that you see upended on the deck. All the best, John.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did my 6 weeks training on the Vindi in 1957 then did my first trip to sea on the MV OREGIS as a galley boy. I joined the OREGIS in Barrow in furness and went to Pepel in West Africa for iron ore. On the way home we bunkered in the Canaries and then on to Dagenham. the ship was only 6 months old when I joined and I did about 6 months on her.

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi !Joseph

Whenever was with a Port Talbot ,Signing. (usually ,Coal out and ,Pit Wood or Iron Ore back to U.K. Trip) Invariably Workington ,got a very favourable mention. from our elder Peers. Re.a possible Port of Discharge. I.E."Hope it's Workington"

Though I .
    didn't get to Workington ,til some three years or so ,after leaving the Vindi.

Joined the Ormsary, (Denholms) First of the Port Talbot,specifications, Ore Carriers. Loaded the Ore ,at Poti. in the Black Sea.24th -25th December. Incidentally, during the Strict Check ,of our identities.by the Russian authourities,in the Wardroom,The B.B.C. Radio News, announced " The Shooting in Moscow,today ,of Beria.By the Govt." Shortly after, The Radio was Shut down, All Cameras were, handed in ,etc. .As was the Norm, in those days.
    Armed Guards on the Gangway . Great! We Had a good issue ,of Tennants ,via The Bond. And Held our own Xmas Party in a large ,Cabin or two."Stuff attempting to go ashore," As the Capt. had previously come round the Alleyway's. Telling us ."If You do decide to go Ashore, .There will be nothing I can do to Help , Here!
    Anyway ,Homeward bound, .Orders . Port of Discharge , Workington.
    Not to be disappointed ,either. On tying-up , Sunny pleasant ,January .forenoon ,day Gangway out .Lifted the Lids. One of the Crane Drivers ,introduced himself. "Going Ashore ,Boys? " Answered ." Soon's We get our Subs"
    Don't Worry about that, The Wife,runs the Hope & and Anchor, just make yourselves known,was the reply.
    So nearly Noon .Away we went , the Vanguard. Had a pleasant Hr. or so.. Returned to the Vessel." Subs Up!"
    Next door , to the right was the Ship Inn. next from that was the Ship Anchor. Referred to ,by the local Seamen we learned over the years ,as the Six Tits,reference un-flatteringly to the three very nice Daughters , who manned the Bar.
    The Ship ,probably our night -time fav. Was owned By Juble and his lovely Wife. Juble also ran the Line Boat .
    His Sister, had the Queens ,the Pub to the extreme left of the Quay, just before the .Bridge into the Town.
    (Three trips later on. Finally went over the Bridge ,to a Friday night Dance,somewhere.
    The Ship inn ,in particular ,Had a very good Singing Room. It would get crowded,Some great Local Talent .Plus the Ships own complement of Clowns and Comic Singers.
    The Hope and Anchor ,Hosted our 2nd Engineers ,from another of Denholms .Wedding reception .With one of the Local Fav. Singers comical rendition ,to the Bride in particular ."It only hurts for a little while." Memorable night!
    One outstanding feature,to me. Which underlines the friendliness of the Hosts and Hostesses ,of the Quay's Pubs.Is wherever ,the Action was ,(Trade permitting)They would arrive and join in with us.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Below is a reference to your Home Port .John.
    Posted some Years ago, In the My Ships. Forum.
    ---------------------------
    Locally ,an Ore carrier ,to get home for Xmas,or a trip back to those great ports of Barrow in Furness or Workington for a "Good run ashore".
    Something like seven pubs along the Quay. in Workington. The motives were many.

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like all catering crew we had to do a week in the galley. Towel on the end of your bed and a shake down at 0500 hours. Two of us were there one day making a very large pot of stewed meat for a pie. I noticed it first then the guy with me saw it. from a hole in the deckhead above a number of youngr either rats or mice had fallen into the boiling meat. we both decided to say nothing but made sure we did not eat the pie.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes N/A, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just finished watching a video of ships to NZ. In the middle a section about the "vindi' boys, tough lads according to the script which contained footage of the ship as well as the bridge with one span missing. Enough nostalgia to bring tears to a glass eye.
    Also some footage of the training ship 'Worcester'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks cappy, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15 Hi Joseph do you remember what dates you were on the MV Oregis as my Dad was on her from March to July 57

judith

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vindi Reunion 2014 by woody200 | Photobucket We went to the Vindi reunion last year and had a great time. we camped in our Camper van for 4 nights at the Sharpness Dockers club , met some great people and had a super time, due to bad planning on my part we missed the event this year.

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast