Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British Merchant Navy Cadet Training Ships

Another good site from the past!
    Cheers

http://www.rakaia.co.uk/

Some really great Pics in the Downloadable PDF Files,have a look!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th May 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Ron B Manderson thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A second look please!

I really think this is worth a second chance,and as there have been no replies i am putting it on the TOP again!
    Sorry Lads but i really feel this needs a better look!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 7th October 2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Gulliver Guest

And indeed it is interesting,Vernon. I remember seeing it(and saved then lost it in my Bookmarks )a while back,so thanks for posting it for us all.
    Life was quite tough and demanding on some of those Cadet Ships..'...and unlike a 'concrete' ship,you couldn't just walk down the gangway if you'd had enough of it!
    Davey

5. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Completely agree with the complimentary comment on my good friend Paul's excellent site. Once you've viewed don't forget to leave a comment on the 'forum'. The ships may not have been concrete but they cemented many friendships which continue to this day. That means, in my case, in excess of a half century. Considering that when we sailed together, in 1960, none of us had actually had our '21st' I am humbled to say that last March 'more than one', plus Paul and 'a few others'', attended my 'end of alloted span', 70th birthday 'do'.

The ONLY way to look at life is as a 'voyage', from A to B, which iin our mutual experiences is via 'C', if you take my meaning.
    Last edited by Graham Smith; 12th February 2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon (Admin/Mod) View Post
    I really think this is worth a second chance,and as there have been no replies i am putting it on the TOP again!
    Sorry Lads but i really feel this needs a beter look!
    Cheers
    Found my old cadetship SS City of Lucknow on the Rakaia site. I have been trying to find other cadets, as they were then, who sailed on her in the late 50's on the MANZ run with Capt. B T Wortley, 'Hutch' the instructional officer, Jackie Grant the mate, Bos'n Jim Brightley, Paddy and Mac who were the two QM's. I did hear from Neil Wrigglesworth via 'Ships Nostalgia' who now lives in the States but as we are all nearing the three score and ten, not a lot of time to find the other 23 cadets! On one of the trips a 'cine film' was made and I did try to locate this while Ellermans were still operational but without success. I guess it is in an archive somewhere and hopefully someone might know where. David Walker

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Merchant Navy Cadet Training Ships

I was on the City of Lucknow as a cadet around 1960/61. The crew was as you mentioned apart from the two QM's who I could not remember. My first trip was the Bowater run , light to Canada then newsprint to Oz. Cadet Captain was Eric Bubear, SLC was Jeremy Reece-Webb. Other cadets I can still remember, were three lads from Belfast, Sav, Mutt, etc etc Please get in touch if you have any contacts. Terry Howlett

11. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FAO Terry Howlett

Hi Terry

Jeremy Reece-Webbe and I were juniors on the Lucknow and he invited me to his parents home in Lyme Regis, Dorset to spend leave between two trips on the Lucknow as my home was in Durban, South Africa at the time. My wife and I emigrated to the UK in 1971 and now live in Dorset mainly due to that leave in the 50's!

I heard that he had emigrated to Auckland NZ and I think that he became a pilot there and/or went into the estate agents business. I did go to his parents house some years ago but regrettably have been unable to trace him. Strangely, my son married a Kiwi and emigrated to the South Island last year.

Leslie Williams and Sandy McGregor, were two of the four cadets in my cabin plus another Scots lad whose name I can't recall at present. It is all such a long time ago now and so much has changed. We have just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse during which the staff captain gave a lecture on navigation and showed everyone a sextant and Norrie's Tables to show his audience something of the past!

Really pleased to hear from someone who was on the Lucknow.

Do you remember the old song..."They say that on the Lucknow the food is pretty fine but Hutch gets all the bacon and we just get the rind" etc etc

All the best to you...I hope that not to many bits are falling off as you must be more or less my age!

Regards

David Walker

PS Did you ever come across Tim Parkhouse. He and I sailed together and after I left the sea he came to visit us in Durban a few times. I believe he emigrated to SA after his marriage broke up and went into banking.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry

Just remembered the 4th cadet in my cabin...Alan Cowie from Aberdeen.

He got a 'dear John' in Aden from his long time girl friend Kathy.

At least I seem to remember that was her name as 'Here he comes it's Kathies Clown' was played a lot on a wind up record player, or was it a gramophone then, all the back to the UK.

How these memories come flooding back after so many years is quite strange when I can't remember what I was doing before I saw your post!

David

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

I have just come across this post which has brought back many nostalgic memories to me! I was on the Lucknow around 1961/62, I have attached some photos that may bring memories for some of you? With the passing of years my memory of names isn't too good; in fact it never was, but some come to mind! Bosun Brightly in particular, he had an obvious dislike to me, perhaps this is why I remember him so well! Hutch I remember too and some other names I'm sure will start coming back to me later.
    I hope some of you out there find these images interesting, it will be good to swap stories with you too.
    Chris LoftyCadet Ship City of Lucknow.jpgCadet Ship City of Lucknow2.jpgNostalgiaOldFamilyPhotos 126.jpgNostalgiaOldFamilyPhotos 197.jpgNostalgiaOldFamilyPhotos 198.jpg

17. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, judith george liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

Welcome to the forum Chris. Hope you enjoy what the site has to offer. Crew list at the top of page if you would like to post your ships details there. Look forward to your stories

19. Likes judith george liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast