Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: T.S. Indefatigable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default T.S. Indefatigable

I refer to Grahams recent post regarding the "tin hat " and time spent on pre sea training.As mentioned in my first ever post,I spent 16 months at the Inde.It all started at the Liverpool Sailors home in canning place,following medical,written exam and selection board,we then signed a ten pound indenture document,boarded a bus for the island of anglesey,and then your life changed.The last thing iwould wish to do is to compete with other sea schools,but the following will give you an idea of the experience.The total "ships" company numbered approx 120 boys,split into four divisions ,Raleigh.Rodney,Drake and Hood,head of each division would be a leading hand and a petty officer boy.The discipline was rigid,for trivia such as smoking the order of the day would be put on a charge and six "cuts"layed on by the chief officer.An event i was fortunate never to experience ,but witnessed the result.Finally,the follwng event which took place in the summer of 1960 is not a figment of my imagination.
    We were allowed out of the building for a period of six hours on a saturday afternoon,called "liberty".Two of the boys visited Beumaris for the afternoon,and whilst sitting around the harbour decided to "borrow"" a motor launch.Eventually they were apprehended by the police and del back to the school.The whole school was ordered onto the parade ground in full dress uniform.Standing in silence we then witnessed the culprits who were ordered to stand to attention .The chief officerthen proceeded to read out the charge,then tore open their uniforms ,knocked their hats off which went rolling across the parade ground.A side drummer was summoned from the school band.The order then went out to open order march and each boy was drummed round the ranks,with the order from the captain"you are at liberty to spit or kick!!.This was 1960!!.No one spat or kicked as this was a shameful sight,the end result,both boys received six "cuts"and ordered up the driveway where their suitcases were waiting

2. Thanks Keith Adams thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mischief!

Hi Michael,
    Gee mate quite a tale there,seems that they were really strict there and although the crime(so to speak) was a trife overboard,it was a harsh penalty to be given,as i know in our days we all got up to some kind of mischief!
    Sounds more like the days of Captain Blood haha!
    Ouch! those cuts must have hurt a wee bit too!
    And to top it all off the poor blighters were drummed out of the Service!
    Bet that taght a lesson to anyone else thinking of misbehaving!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes Keith Adams, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If they did such a thing today all hell would break loose and the litigation would be thick and fast. But sadly the days of disipline are long gone and the worst thing they would have got now would be a slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fellew Indie

Hi Micheal, My name is Darrell Kellett, I was a leading boy seaman, in Hood Div in 1960, I left the end of July that year, You mention about the two lads getting drummed out, I remember it well, as you say it was a disturbing day. My Number was 92, The Indie was a tough life for us youngsters, at 14.5 to 16 years of age but it tought us how to fend for our selves, I also had the six cuts, for taking back my shoe brushes that No69 had stolen, old Napthine would not stand up for me as I had gone to see him about getting my brushes remarked, apart from the six cuts Iwas grounded for four weeks and I also lost six months good conduct badge, so yes life was tough, but it stood one in good stead for when you went to sea.best wishes Darrell
    Last edited by Darrell Kellett; 26th July 2010 at 09:52 PM.

8. Thanks Keith Adams thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fellow Indie also

Hello Darrell Kellet, I remember old Napthine he was treasure. Never did get the cat, I think I was too scared even to breath in that place. Atkinson no 70 Raliegh Division 1962-63. Wish you well.

10. Likes Keith Adams, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Indie Officers

Hi Anthony nice of you to return a message, as you say Old Nappie as we called him, (not to his face),was a real treasure, was Chief Officer Derrick still there also Mugridge the PTI, Pengiun Scott, Snape the band master, I can't remember the seamanship officer a little guy, also the signels officer who was in charge of Hood Div, when i mentioned the cat that was the nickmane for the cane, and bye christ Mugridge laid it on.
    look out for you again best wishes Darrell

12. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: Indie

Hello Darrell, during my time their the C/O was a Mr Wade and I also seem to remember a Mr Bowen, who I think took english classes. I seem to remember the captain was ex Palm Line, I think, my grey matter is now changing colour after all those years at sea, and of course probably too many tots. Oh, how I miss the tots, not the sea school. Would you believe, I travelled all the way from Inverness (Scotland) in a kilt to join at Liverpool. What an idiot I felt, but discipline was the order of the day, then. Shame it's all gone down the kazy now. Hope you are well and the wind is fair. Anthony

14. Likes Keith Adams, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Inde

I was there from 1964-65, 103 Rodney Division.

Wade was still the CO, with Irwin as Capt., Curtis taught seamanship,(stop that yafflin') Nelson was another name I remember but can't remember what he taught.

It wasn't until my last term there that I realised that there was a roughly 50/50 split in the backgrounds of the boys. One half had parents who had paid for their sons to go there, and the other half were there, either from childrens homes or they'd come throught juvenile courts and Inde was seen as a half-way house between Reform School and Borstal, both of which I think were being phased out at the time.

Can you remember the Sunday night supper dish, it was either corned beef hash or potato, cheese and onion pie (followed by ONE tab-nab) I've tried several times to make the pie without success.

16. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Ex Indie

Hello Don Rafferty, How well I remember the corned beef hash. I can also remember being informed by the leading hand of our dorm., never have the pie, as this caused all hands to fart quite badly after lights out. Sounded sometimes like an out of tune orchestra and the smell was something else. It was all the giggling that got us into trouble on these melodious nights. The boy P/O would charge into our dorm, ranting and raving about the racket we were making. We of course were silent little boys, until he started gagging because of the smell. Needless to say, he left as quickly as he came to a chorus of expelling excess air and laughter. I wish you well, and fair wind. Anthony Atkinson no: 70 Raleigh Division.

18. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Things aint wot they used to be

Hi Guys great to hear from you all, Captain Irvin was still the superintendant I/c, the cheese and onion pie was vile, and so was the cook, Idid my stint in the kitchen god it was grim, and so was the cook, a little welshman who smoked non stop all day, its a wonder were all alive still, i'd sooner scrub the messdeck any day, Does any one remember the fight one of the lads had with "Knocker White" the signels officer, he seemed to disappear after the summer holidays in 1959, going on a bit now does anyone remember felling the big trees, to enlarge the parade ground, no health and safety then. Good times though, you mentioned the 50/50 split, it was not any differant when I was there, Ithink the borstal was nearer the truth, certainly no public school, still we always thrashed the Conway each term in the cutter races. best wishes Darrell

20. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast