Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: T.S. Indefatigable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fellow Indie also

Hello Anthony,i was at INDIE from 1953 to 1954 my number was 60 and drake division, I remember Mugridge the pti,captain Irwin also the quartermaster doody,iwas lucky doody lived by me in Liverpool and took me under his wing,saved me from cuts when i was caught stealing from the orchid.As for the rest of the boys i remember lofty ball and pin head. Old Napthine, dont remember him. Cheers SYLVESTER.

2. Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fellow Indie also

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm hellens View Post
    Hello Anthony,i was at INDIE from 1953 to 1954 my number was 60 and drake division, I remember Mugridge the pti,captain Irwin also the quartermaster doody,iwas lucky doody lived by me in Liverpool and took me under his wing,saved me from cuts when i was caught stealing from the orchid.As for the rest of the boys i remember lofty ball and pin head. Old Napthine, dont remember him. Cheers SYLVESTER.
    kenneth fitton from 1953 to 1954 rally division my first ship was the ss carlton a tramp steamer

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indie

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Atkinson View Post
    Hello Darrell, during my time their the C/O was a Mr Wade and I also seem to remember a Mr Bowen, who I think took english classes. I seem to remember the captain was ex Palm Line, I think, my grey matter is now changing colour after all those years at sea, and of course probably too many tots. Oh, how I miss the tots, not the sea school. Would you believe, I travelled all the way from Inverness (Scotland) in a kilt to join at Liverpool. What an idiot I felt, but discipline was the order of the day, then. Shame it's all gone down the kazy now. Hope you are well and the wind is fair. Anthony
    Hi Anthony. Captain Irvine would have been in charge when you were there, and Captain Wade would have been the Chief Officer. Captain Irvine retired in 1965, with Captain Wade taking command. Frank. Rodney Division, #75, 1965/66.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rafferty View Post
    I was there from 1964-65, 103 Rodney Division.

Wade was still the CO, with Irwin as Capt., Curtis taught seamanship,(stop that yafflin') Nelson was another name I remember but can't remember what he taught.

It wasn't until my last term there that I realised that there was a roughly 50/50 split in the backgrounds of the boys. One half had parents who had paid for their sons to go there, and the other half were there, either from childrens homes or they'd come throught juvenile courts and Inde was seen as a half-way house between Reform School and Borstal, both of which I think were being phased out at the time.

Can you remember the Sunday night supper dish, it was either corned beef hash or potato, cheese and onion pie (followed by ONE tab-nab) I've tried several times to make the pie without success.
    Don, I can recall you there.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bond

Quote Originally Posted by david miller View Post
    Miller 37 Raleigh 65 to 66. I visited the school in 68 and stayed in Bangor for while Mr Bond ( Dick ) kept a room at the Railway. Bumped into him a few times he was a ladies man and still tried to be a bully. One of my most vivid memories was Benny Brown and Tez Penny having a belt fight on one of the landings.
    The fight was between Ben Brown from Liverpool and Ronnie Forbes from Dundee. Both were from childrens homes. Terry Penney was eventually expelled for bullying. Frank.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indie Officers

Hi Darrel
    The seamanship officer was Harry Coxall and the signals officer was "Knocker" White. Coxall was a gentleman and a good teacher.

Tony 26 1958-59

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Indie Officers

Hi all,
    Tudor Palmer Raleigh division #65 Palmer Line dorm. we got the cake once, perhaps they felt sorry for us......I was there from 63 to end 64 and did 18 months..
    For me that school was a piece of cake because the previous 8 years I spent in a government Boarding school (Reedham, in Surrey..that was really bad, they had to cancel out their own forum way back because of the dreadful stories)....

The biggest difference I noticed was that feeling of independence, it made u feel grown up etc....the food was great for me.
    Remember that indoor pool every (other) day jumping in....I was lucky I had my grandparents living on the other side of the Menai Straits so I got the weekends off....Buddies were Alan Parsons, Selwood, John Young, couple of other names I forgot....never forget the smokes, we didnt seem to get bothered too much about getting caught....
    Got an apprentiship then went out east with Jardines, never looked back....God Bless all whom are still around...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T.S. Indefatigable

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Saunders View Post
    Never attented the Vindi myself, but by the standards of today sounds like a form of child abuse !
    The PE teacher (an ex-Royal Green Jackets Corporal called Mr Peter Burrell) used to beat and whip the children during PE lessons for, what seemed to be, his own personal amusement. So definitely child abuse and why he never ended up in prison I’ll never understand. The rest of the staff should hang their heads in shame, because they clearly knew what he was doing. It was a bloody awful school with a culture closer to that of a Borstal than a private fee paying school.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking back at some of these posts makes one think that the experience of being flagrantly being physically punished may have taught them a lesson it did nothing to teach them the rudiments of their future trade . I attended South Shields pre sea course , and there the punishment was different , instead you received the task of writing out longhand usually either Article 15 or 9 or any other long ones 50 or 100 times depending on the severity of the crime this was in 1952 . I never had any problem reciting the 32 articles in vogue at the time in any of the certificates for oral examinations. Cheers JS.

In fact a couple of the boys set up a lucrative business and were never caught, they took a sample of your handwriting and tried to copy. Then wrote them out for you. They charged of course for this service. Who knows where they finished up In life , one I met years later and he was a bookies runner in a pub in North Shields , the other started off in king Line but didn’t last there so I heard . There is one thing the physical punishment would have taught the culprits and that was ..Never to get caught .JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th October 2021 at 02:22 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You people who joined an outfit run by bully boys and child molesters would have been better off waiting until you were eighteen and doing your National Service. Even Drill NCO's in charge of square bashing parades were not allowed to physically touch you. They could bawl and shout at you as much as they liked but touching you physically was out of the question.
    In my book you were all fools to accept such hardship.

Regards from
    Fouro.

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#89 The council school I went to upto 15 had corporal punishment as did most schools in that era Fouro . At 12 nearly 13 I enrolled at night school to do my J1 which consisted of Maths, English, and Technical Drawing, then the headmaster at my day school found out and I got the sack from the night classes. I thought the night schools great, as most were older people and could smoke and tell dirty jokes in the classroom and no physical punishment. Most corporal punishment and I had my share was either the stick (cane) or the strap, but never really saw any teacher enjoy given to you, it was a punishment to fit the crime , in fact one female teacher used to be just about in tears when administering it. and being boys we used to decry her for being so soft. Schools in our days without corporal punishment was like a boat without a rudder or a ship without a sail. JS
    R575129

17. Likes happy daze john in oz, Fouro liked this post
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast