Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: T.S. Indefatigable

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Greenwich, s.e. London.
    Posts
    467
    Thanks (Given)
    289
    Thanks (Received)
    142
    Likes (Given)
    6001
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Hi Anthony, Got to agree with you , I was there Sept '61 til March '63 and was only known as "Boy Payne" number 68 Raleigh Divison nothing else I can assure you some of these "Charlie Big Cigars " met their match when they joined their first ship,they were ok screaming & shouting their orders when backed by the SO CALLED OFFICERS at the Indie, but when they met a experianced AB/Oiler/Steward ? a different matter, no names but I saw one cry for his mother.
    Graham R774640

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default TS Indefatigable

    There you go John, you only have to take the lid off and out it all comes. Anthony, Graham Hi. Nice to hear from you all and I wish you all welll.

    Hood 92

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Folkestone, Kent
    Posts
    51
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Well,I never, you Mr Graham Payne are the first person from that PLACE of WOE, I think I may know, or for that matter marched in the same division in our ever so properly creased number ones. Try as I might, I could never get the creases in my uniform bell bottoms sharp enough for the powers that were then. Had some very nasty words bellowed at me from the petty officer boy. Being a true Scot, I of course was not familiar with those bad words. Never did meet the bugger again, such a shame. You left in March 63, I left in November 63 to join my first ship, the Paparoa of NZS Company. I was their, the Indi, I mean for 18 months, why I could almost speak Welch don't you know, boyo, yaky da and all that. I am Anthony Atkinson late of Raleigh Division, No 70 and I still have the scars. I hope the wind is always fair for you and yours.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunbury Victoria Australia
    Posts
    16,805
    Thanks (Given)
    5119
    Thanks (Received)
    5981
    Likes (Given)
    60051
    Likes (Received)
    24022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Atkinson View Post
    Well,I never, you Mr Graham Payne are the first person from that PLACE of WOE, I think I may know, or for that matter marched in the same division in our ever so properly creased number ones. Try as I might, I could never get the creases in my uniform bell bottoms sharp enough for the powers that were then. Had some very nasty words bellowed at me from the petty officer boy. Being a true Scot, I of course was not familiar with those bad words. Never did meet the bugger again, such a shame. You left in March 63, I left in November 63 to join my first ship, the Paparoa of NZS Company. I was their, the Indi, I mean for 18 months, why I could almost speak Welch don't you know, boyo, yaky da and all that. I am Anthony Atkinson late of Raleigh Division, No 70 and I still have the scars. I hope the wind is always fair for you and yours.
    Hi Anthony, how long were you on the Paparoa? I joined her in Hull May 64.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

    Life is too short to blend in.

    John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Greenwich, s.e. London.
    Posts
    467
    Thanks (Given)
    289
    Thanks (Received)
    142
    Likes (Given)
    6001
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Hi Anthony
    My first ship "Oronsay" as a Deck Boy, 2 months 10 days around the world, Medi, Indian, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans crossed.
    Give you a name to see if your memory works
    Mr/ boy Windsor at 14 years of age he was 6ft 2inches tall and weighed 22stone 10lbs and had Ginger hair. a really nice and kind person, no one tried to tackel him at rugby.
    My self at 14, 5ft nothing and weighing 9 stone (with my boots on) and had Ginger hair.
    You won't remember me but Mr Windsor ?
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 28th November 2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Graham R774640

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Folkestone, Kent
    Posts
    51
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Hello John in Oz
    Re: Paparoa:::: I joined her 17th Dec. 1963 in Liverpool and signed off on the 28th April 1964 in Hull then signed on again on the 7th May 1964 in Hull and signed off for the last time on the 8th Sept. 1964 in Victoria docks London.. Well, well it seems we have sailed together on the mighty oceans of the world. I wish you a fair wind, John in Oz.
    Last edited by Anthony Atkinson; 4th December 2011 at 03:45 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Folkestone, Kent
    Posts
    51
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Hello Graham
    I cannot remember the tall chap you refer to, he possibly left as I joined. I do remember a CPO Boy rating called John Stone, or was it Storey. Many years have passed,and many lovely tots of rum have been consumed by yours truly. I do believe that combination would dull anyones memory. That, dear sir is my excuse. I wish you well. Anthony.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunbury Victoria Australia
    Posts
    16,805
    Thanks (Given)
    5119
    Thanks (Received)
    5981
    Likes (Given)
    60051
    Likes (Received)
    24022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Atkinson View Post
    Hello John in Oz
    Re: Paparoa:::: I joined her 17th Dec. 1963 in Liverpool and signed off on the 28th April 1964 in Hull then signed on again on the 7th May 1964 in Hull and signed off for the last time on the 8th Sept. 1964 in Victoria docks London.. Well, well it seems we have sailed together on the mighty oceans of the world. I wish you a fair wind, John in Oz.
    Thanks for thta mate, you are the third I have found who sailed with me.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

    Life is too short to blend in.

    John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Greenwich, s.e. London.
    Posts
    467
    Thanks (Given)
    289
    Thanks (Received)
    142
    Likes (Given)
    6001
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Atkinson View Post
    Hello Graham
    I cannot remember the tall chap you refer to, he possibly left as I joined. I do remember a CPO Boy rating called John Stone, or was it Storey. Many years have passed,and many lovely tots of rum have been consumed by yours truly. I do believe that combination would dull anyones memory. That, dear sir is my excuse. I wish you well. Anthony.
    Hi Anthony
    I remember that "person" extremley well, Stone 67 Raleigh Division, as you say a lot of Rum has passed under this bridge but as the song goes "we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when"
    ( you never know your luck do you.)
    Graham R774640

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    18
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    35
    Likes (Given)
    118
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default T.S. Indefatigable

    To all the survivors of the Indefat,you must remember this.

    Saturday morning was "pay day"when a large table was placed across the hallway,bearing a large ledger which was to be signed by each boy receiving his mandatory seven and sixpence pocket money.
    Behind the table sat Capt Irvin,chief officer Derrick and Snydee Snape.Your name was called to receivethe
    bounty,step forward and salute,remove cap and place on the table,one pace back whilst Snape would place,
    three half crowns or sometimes smaller change on your cap,step forward sign your name,and then lift the cap with your right hand and place under your left arm.Now comes the rub.One step back salute and then a quick about turn.You can guess the rest.Some of the money was dropped off the cap,and any money dropped was kept!! "for the school funds".
    Good to see Anthony and Graham bringing back the memories.I met a Guy in Ras Tanura who was the same year as myself,and he just did not want to talk about it,not for some I suppose

    KIn Regards
    Mike Rotherforth
    R751066

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Reunion of Indefatigable
    By Captain Kong in forum Sea Training Schools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st June 2014, 12:13 PM
  2. T.S. Indefatigable
    By Graham Payne in forum Crossed The Bar
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st February 2014, 05:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •