Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vindicatrix Toilets

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vindicatrix Toilets

HI ALL.
    I was at the Vindi from April to July 1949 and Capt Kong has hit it right on the nail, Stone or brick toilets
    All one; with twelve holes in line, and I remember someone lighting a ball of paper and sending it down the line. The Instructor used to hit the first bunk rail with his cane but I don't recall any boy being hit or abused when I was there. The Fights, I met a steward on a tanker who had been beaten up in the ring by a bigger boy, I remember the fight,the bloke was a bully and it should never have gone ahead. I can only remember the Vindi with affection as it made a man out of me, and that stayed with me all the sixteen years I was at sea.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 23rd November 2014 at 04:17 AM.

2. Thanks cappy, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Neil Morton, Stuart Henderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    HI ALL.
    I was at the Vindi from April to July 1949 and Capt Kong has hit it right on the nail, Stone or brick toilets
    All one; with twelve holes in line, and I remember someone lighting a ball of paper and sending it down the line. The Instructor used to hit the first bunk rail with his cane but I don't recall any boy being hit or abused when I was there. The Fights, I met a steward on a tanker who had been beaten up in the ring by a bigger boy, I remember the fight,the bloke was a bully and it should never have gone ahead. I can only remember the Vindi with affection as it made a man out of me, and that stayed with me all the sixteen years I was at sea.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif
    those bogs were still at the vindi in the late 50s .....but cannot recall showeers ever ....as we stood at basins in a row naked and washed in cold water ...when the plug was pulled outvthe water ran across the ablution foor into a gutter ...in nov it was cold but nothing a young man would get upset about .....but would moan given any opportunity.....that was in the nissen huts cant remember if there were showers on the ship itself when we were pool boys

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All I recall about the 'toilets' was it got bloody cold at night so if you needed a quick pee in the early mornings it was better just out of the nearest window. Never saw any of the lads hit by officers but fights were often takeing place normaly with som eone on look out. If you got caught fighting it was at least a week on your course or in one case I recall sent home. Early vesion of a double DR I guess.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4