Thread: Pangbourne College

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pangbourne College

Last week a regular poster to this site mentioned that he was at Pangborne.

Would he kindly send me a Private message please.

Unfortunately I lost the post.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Kismet, Hardy:

Could have been me, searching back for the post you mention:

Re: Nearest thus far: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/r...met-hardy.html

Also mentioned: The other display centre is the Tithe Barn at Beale Park, on the Thames near Pangbourne. Near the site of the annual boat show, it was opened briefly last year, then closed again for further development. Its full opening, with around 40 river craft and sailing dinghies, is scheduled to coincide with this year's Beale's Park Boat Show (8-10 June). Plans for an all-weather, purpose-built centre at Beale are the design stage, and could open within the next five years.

LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/g...d-ships-3.html

iT WAS PROBABLY PART OF A THREAD, CAN YOU EXPLAIN MORE OF THE SUBJECT:

I know Pangbourne well, would it have been the Falklands Chapel ? My next search.

Maybe it was not me, only come up with so far and not last week: I did a lot of work later at Pangbourne College, Home of the Falklands chapel: Did much towards the then Trafalgar Dinner. LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/h...nova%94-2.html

Thanks Tony / Doc / Deep Sea etc: LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/r...ed-ensign.html

Also: 21 October: The Battle of Trafalgar 1805: LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/c...sh-food-3.html

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 30th January 2013 at 01:36 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Robert T. Bush:

Thanks all that have helped, I will mail Robert and see if I can help in anyway.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pangbourne

THANK YOU KIETH, KISMET AND ALL.

AM SENDING ANEMAIL TO KIETH

BEST
    BOB

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Pangbourne etc:

Now in touch: Thanks All, K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The FALKLAND ISLANDS MEMORIAL CHAPEL:

When the thunder of the guns was finally stilled in and around the Falkland Islands on 14th June 1982, 258 families were left to count the terrible cost. They had lost sons, fathers and husbands in the fierce actions fought at sea, on land, and in the air.

More than half the British casualties died at sea; the majority under fierce enemy attack which sank five ships and damaged eight more, some severely. Most of those killed have no grave but the sea. Others died in the fighting on land; many on dark hillsides in night battles. Yet more were killed while flying over land and sea.

The Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel, located at Pangbourne School / College in the south of England has been built in their memory.

Let them never be forgotten.

LINK: Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel Trust
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 30th January 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Came across a little history of Pangbourne College on this site http://www.rakaia.co.uk/downloads/se...ea-schools.pdf Scroll down for Pangbourne but I found it all interesting reading.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pangbourne College

Thank you Calvin for bringing this interesting site to our attention, although not a Pangbourne lad it is nice to know the history of the various schools.

Hull Trinity House Navigation School was my seat of learning, although whilst a cadet at it, it seemed more like a seat of punishment and marching, with white uniforms every Sunday winter and summer, they took some keeping clean for parades and marching through Hull in the snow in winter. We used to wear Nelson type uniforms with blancoed collars with inset brass buttons, a real pain to keep clean. Black Nelson uniforms weekdays, white uniforms every Sunday and the first Wednesday in the month (Chapel Day). If you cannot visualise the uniform just look at Mr Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty

The site says it was established in 1854, however it celebrated its 200th anniversary in its present position in 1985 (the building in which it was housed being built and commissioned in 1785) and is still going strong, but alas tradition and marching have been abandonded. It is without a doubt the oldest navigation orientated school in the country, as its founding can be traced back to 1396 when it was formed as 'The guild of the Holy Tinity' to teach the art of seafaring to young boys. By 1457 all its Governors and Board members were Master mariners and Pilots, as they are to this day. Its present day title was adopted in 1581

It can lay claim to be the oldest navigation school in the world

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default WW2 SCHOOLS ADOPT SHIPS:

Thanks Ivan,

A little more on Pangbourne:

The college has operated since 1917. It was founded as the Nautical College, Pangbourne by the shipping company Devitt and Moore and operated on a commercial basis to provide an education and train young men for service as officers in the Merchant Navy. The company was reconstituted as a charity in 1963, when the governing document was recast as regulating Pangbourne College Limited. The college has retained the naval ceremonial traditions but does not have a specific Merchant Navy focus.

It would be interesting to hear more of / on this, also schools that adopted ships etc.

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    When the thunder of the guns was finally stilled in and around the Falkland Islands on 14th June 1982.....

Whose side are they on? British Embassy refers to Falklands as the 'Malvinas' on anniversary of Conflict
    Official tweets call the disputed Falkland Islands by their Argentinian name
    Several tweets refer to 'Malvinas' on 31st anniversary of Falklands Crisis
    Spokesman says they were simply referring to a debate of that name

Read more: British Embassy in Colombia calls Falklands Argentinian name 'Malvinas' in Twitter gaffe | Mail Online