Thread: Conway, Anglesey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Conway, Anglesey

Anyone remember Mr McLeod who worked at Conway during the sixties?
    Here is an interesting story surrounding him which had great repercussions on my life:

My Dad was in the RAF, based at Valley just down the road from Conway. Mr McLeod and him seemed to become good friends. I was encouraged to become a Merchant Navy Officer and an entrance exam was procured by Mr McLeod. I was show round the college and indeed it was an impressive place.
    I had high hopes but my parents made me sit the exam in an official manner and I failed. Mr McLeod was bemused and said how about the Indefatigable just down the road? The rest is history.

Not long after this Mr McLeod was due to have a meal with us one night at Valley in our married quarter. He didn't turn up. Then quite late, there was a knock at our door (we did not have a phone) to say that he had collapsed and died whilst trying to fix his car. He was only 50.

I was able to visit his grave once, in Menei Cemetry (I think) in about 1970

It's all part of the book "Running For Home".

john sutton Guest

I used to know conmay well as I kept a boat there for about 12 years.cant recall a Mcloed.What did he do.
    The duncalfe family were good friends of mine and several members of the cruising club.also remember dave "jasmin"
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be honest, I can't remember. I was only 13 at the time. He was one of the Officers there, one of the instructors I imagine. He had no problem getting me an entrance exam to play with. Didn't work though, never mind its all a long time ago!