Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sea Training school Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea Training school Gravesend

Reply to Robert #38

"Shows in London?" The only shows I saw in Gravesend (apply named) were scousers or Geordies thumping on someone or each other in the toilets. Next you are going to tell me there was doors and seats on the toilets and printed menus and soft music in the mess hall.

When I went it was bloody miserable. Newbies had the shock of their lives at the food, fixed by three females (not ladies). Cabbage water for soup. Newbies pushed the food away in disgust and the rest of the table damn near fought over the leavings. Guess what? next week we joined in for the newbies leavings and so it went I guess until they built a Hilton hotel in for your class. (Just teasing).

I was in catering. On my 8th week I was picked to be the officer's steward. I had the Chief Instructor and the other instructors/officers to be their slave. My first day of duty which started at 5am, was to wake them up with tea and bickies, then clean the quarters and serve and clean up breakfast, then a break (sitting in a small room with no door in the quad, in December, very homey...not). When the buzzer went I had to run to the officers' quarters to do such things as empty the ashtray. Or to put a new toilet roll, ready to roll, in the toilet. These bastards took delight in messing with a sixteen-year-old boys mind. My day ended at 9pm,

The next and last week was lifeboat skills and dreaded by all catering boys as we were told if you didn't pass the finals you had to do the week over. Of course, nobody ever failed but all worried anyway.

Except...The heads of shipping companies were visiting for an inspection the next Monday and staying for lunch. So the graduating mess steward, me, along with the captain's tiger had to stay over for another bloody week. 14 days of slavery.

Of course, the big shots had to have a top menu for lunch and the three witches fresh out of Macbeth, cleverly disguised as cooks were to dish up to we two waiters.
    Amongst the attending was the head of Port Line and I had a letter introducing me to the company and a letter from them guaranteeing employment as a catering boy.

Now just as I was about to take a plate from a witch, the chief officer said to the Port Line big shot. "Young Mills here is joining Port Line next week. I with my hand out for a plate forgetting my napkin, smiled inanely, as Port Line mumbled something to me and the witch placed a red-hot plate in my napkin less hand. I dare not drop it as it cooked my hand. I looked at the witch and she bloody well smirked at me.

I had blisters for a week on my fingers and thumb.

The front gate out was always left open just with a deckie on guard at parade rest. Our introduction speech was that any time we wanted we could go home to mother, the gate out is always open, what wasn't said was we could wait at home until we were eighteen and meat for the army as conscription was in effect.

I do not remember my weeks at Gravesend with fondness. It was a pleasant surprise at life aboard my first ship the Port Jackson and all the ice cream I could eat, hard work yes, long hours yes, but good mates, lots of laughs, wonderful places to visit, found my love of reading which has never left me and just writing this post, brings back a thousand memories and potential posts.

Cheers, Rodney.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was there after you Rodney , march 58, but not a lot had changed, i think it was 12 weeks as a deck boy, the same hunger pains, toilets in the long row of pens, no doors, bloody freezing, but like yourself, first ship and all was forgiven.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah! Rod.
    We know you would like to go back there and experience those wonderful days of your youth. The hardship was so; that when you had to work your Bs off on your first trip you wouldn't find it so hard. Don't know if the Vindi was much different but I look back with great pride that I achieved something for myself.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney on a Thursday night at Happy Hour there is usually one of the group think he is 94, suffering i suspect with advanced dementia , with his lady friend who can at most be a couple of years behind him accompanying him. He is or was an ex RAN Admirals steward. When approaching the table he always stops
    gives a mock Naval salute and gives a small verse something like " Heres to Jill who lives on a hill , if she doesnt , somebody will " . I sometimes think what actual memorys lie behind that dementia. or is he really just living in a world of his own. He seems happy with the quality of life he now has . Getting older I am finding all I want to do is sleep. If I could have an intelligent conversation with him I may be able to find the real secret to a long living happy life in the brain department . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Vindi was not much better, maybe the food was but only just.
    Not so much the food but lack there of was the problem.
    Evening meal, bread slices, dry as the Sahara covered in some stuff they said was jam, or was it dripping.
    Then from the deck head above a fishing line came down and onto the hook a slice of the 'food' on offer.
    We kept making more and it went up as soon as we did.
    Only way to get more without the officers knowing.
    Then the dreaded cocoa if you dared to drink it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

are any of you on pics 1950s.P2070014.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P2070010_edited.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P2070010_edited.jpg

9. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#46 Last two pictures are the same, and show cappy refusing to hang anything over his arm hence was taken twice as proof before they shot him next morning. Top row second left , someone gave him mouth to mouthy resucitation and brought him back. That should bring him back to site protesting its not him . He has been noticed by his absence lately. JS.
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stewards pic front row second from the right is John Everitt he was on Orcades 57-60. he crossed the bar last month. His son has been sharing these with me and asked if i would post them on here thinking it may stir memories. RM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #46 Last two pictures are the same, and show cappy refusing to hang anything over his arm hence was taken twice as proof before they shot him next morning. Top row second left , someone gave him mouth to mouthy resucitation and brought him back. That should bring him back to site protesting its not him . He has been noticed by his absence lately. JS.
    Fact is he was looking for money, 3/9 to be excat.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi Lee

Quote Originally Posted by steveh154 View Post
    sad i know but i do, i was there in 76 number 32587 discharge book UK040563