Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TS Dolphin Leith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TS Dolphin Leith

Hi Steve I am the same I attended T.S. Dolphin West Old Dock Leith from May to July 1969 same a you had a great but have not anything from any of the lads of my course only one John Brown we went on the same ship SS Trebartha we went to London where he was paid off have not seen him since R 874850 Scotland

2. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just reread all posts on this thread,and it got me wondering-;was the Dolphin the only Sea Training School where Catering Trainees were taught splicing,both wire and manilla?That skill served me well in later years when I went to work on a land based drilling rig,and I was the only one who could splice.I had already learned while at sea that "a man splicing always looks busy"!Boy did I get all the miles out of that one!!!!

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: T. S. Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by HandyMac View Post
    Morning Steve

Just picked up on your correspondence with reference to the Dolphin in Leith. I was on the deck-boy course on- her late 64 into 65. I had great memories of her and enjoyed the rowing and sculling in the nearby dock, also remembera breeches-buoy transfer from her over to HMS Killiecrankie, which was moored on the opposite side of the dock. I was in the Mech for nearly five years, sailing with Blue Star, Ben Line, Shell, C.E.G.B., and Hains. Good days, bad days, I'd do it all over again. It would be great to have a reunion with other ex-Dolphin inmates, especially on the same period, but as they say up here, "Wha's like us. damn few an' they're a' deid".

Brian Beattie (R809717)
    Hi what ben ships were you on Hain ships I am ex Dolphin Ronnie Maben R874850

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Seamans Daughter
    I was on the same course in September 1960. their were 3 Roberts in the class Robert White and Robert H?. and myself Robert Johnston Montgomery it is very likely that it is one of the others I have a picture of the class with the TS Dolphin in the background that I can look up and send to you if you think it would help.
    Bob Montgomery

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Montgomery View Post
    Hi Seamans Daughter
    I was on the same course in September 1960. their were 3 Roberts in the class Robert White and Robert H?. and myself Robert Johnston Montgomery it is very likely that it is one of the others I have a picture of the class with the TS Dolphin in the background that I can look up and send to you if you think it would help.
    Bob Montgomery
    Hi Bob. I must have the year wrong then, might have been 61. He's Robert John Taylor, family call him Robbie but on ship he was known as Bob. He is 76 now and his health isn't great these days and I'm trying to preserve his memories. He often talks of his sea days but I'm never sure how much is real memories and how much he's mixed up.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking at sea training schools:

To Seaman’s Daughter, check out the “Spirit of Leithers Group on Facebook, there are lots on there about the TS Dolphin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined the T.S. Dolphin In the early months of 1960, 2 of the staff I remember , Capt. Tait and another guy Named Sutherland.
    I teamed up with a couple of guys , Tommy Wilkes (i think) and another lad whose last name was Robinson. I remember buying our gear from a shop in the Tolbooth Wynd (All gone now ) . Near the end of our course I walked round to
    Rankins flour mill and went aboard a tramper ( Smiths of Cardiff I think) to ask if they were needing any deck boys but was told they had just taken on somebody. Then , after our tests, we were lined up , Starboard and port watches,
    and Capt Tait called me and Tommy to his office and said he had been contacted by Shaw Saville to ask if we were available ( as we had been wring to them also ) he said our test results were OK and we could travel to
    London Victoria docks .We went to the ship the TARANAKI and the mate said they had a full crew and directed us to the office where we were both taken on and so on the 24th June 1960 we signed on and sailed on our first trip
    the DOMINION MONARCH. I know this is long winded but good memories
    John

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Low View Post
    I to trained at t s dolphin September 1972-march 1973 had great time and a good start into M N
    Allan uk000665 Felixstowe Suffolk
    We were in the same class...

15. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to visit this school.

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first trip to sea started in Avonmouth. Dont know if put on here before or not. The first person to speak to me was this shambling figure walking sideways towards me. Turned out he was the Bosun. An ex Prize Fighter from the boxing booths of his era. Punch drunk if not so otherwise. Who are you he demanded , Im the new apprentice I said , its not what we want he says, what we want is ABs not BAs. I didnt know how to take his remark as at the time didnt know what either was. The Chippy was straight out of Durham gaol, there were 2 Estonians plus a Latvian, and the others were all aware of prison living. Including 3 deckboys straight out of Borstal who all turned out to be good shipmates. You can never choose a book by its cover. JS
    R575129

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast