Thread: Outward Bound Sea School.Aberdovy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Outward Bound Sea School.Aberdovy.

Pre-1958.This School was used by Blue Funnel for Deck and Catering Ratings,also Cadets with some from
    Elder Dempster and Glen Line.A few shoreside Firms would send there Top apprentices there for one month.
    I was thinking, I carnt be the only one on this site that attended this pre-sea school on the Banks of the River Dyfi. I was there Jan--Feb,1955.(Deck) Home 2wks then 1st trip 11/3/55.
    ttfn.Peter T.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aberdovey

Hiya Peter,

I was there in March 1952 and after joined the Bellerophon and spent two years there, six Far East trips plus a few coasting trips. Nearly 60 years ago, how time flies.

I think that I was on course 114 and still have my log book somewhere knocking about. The galley boy on the Bellerophon, Arthur Byland, was there the same time as me.

Here is the photo of that course. I am 4th. from left, 2nd.row from top.

Regards........Alec.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Morning Alec,
    I to still have my Log Book and Lapel badge from Aberdovy. I was in Rodney Watch,course 146. At the time I thought,What the Hell has this got to do with going to Sea,hikes up and down mountains in North Wales,sleeping out in ruined farm houses,2ft of snow and near Zero temp'.
    As you know,Blueys opened the Deck School in the Odyssey Works in 1958,and thats a 10min,walk from were I lived.But ABERDOVY was a great experience for young Lads. They have their own site at www.outward bound sea school.com with photos and comments. I have posted photos there and on this site in MY PHOTOS and LIFE ON BOARD and ASHORE. Sorry I have'nt acquired the know how yet of moving my photos around my Lap-Top Another site for exBluey men is Rhiw.com Croeso / Welcome
    ttfn.Peter T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aberdovey

Thanks for your post Peter. Funny enough I was in Rodney watch as well. Like you I thought to myself, what has this got to do with going to sea, climbing mountains, cold showers and running every morning but looking back it stood me in good stead in later years along with being a Blue flu peggy.

I enjoyed my 5 day "cruise" around Cardigan Bay on the Warspite, a beautiful ketch. Was she there when you were there? I have seen your pictures on Friends re-united. Thanks for the link to the Welsh website, I saw it years ago but had forgotten all about it, there are lots of updates since my last visit.

I haven't put any photos up on this site but have quite a few on SN. I shall have to get my finger out and put some up.

Regards, Alec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alec,
    My cruise around the Bay was in the "Golden Vally" another Ketch that replaced the "Warspite"
    First day out in Her,I was sick as a dog, the only sailing I had done was Ferry 'cross the Mersey. I've posted a photo of Her on SN along with others.My Avitar on that site is Me by the Bell. I only met one guy from that course,it was 1987 in the Heli-Port Aberdeen,He was flying to one Rig me another. I met a lot of Ex MN lads who had gone Offshore after the decline of our MN,plus the Pay was better. I go over to Liverpool,now and again and visit some of the Pubs frequented by ex-seafarers, a great day out with plenty of sea-yarns from "All our Yesterdays" But Alec, you must have the same type Pubs in Dover.
    ttfn.Peter.