Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Certificates

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Certificates

Once trvalled out to the Phillipines in the late 70's and sat next to a young Filipino and got talking, as you do! discovered he had just passed is UK 2/mFG and had been offered a job in Manila as a lecturer teaching Masters and Mates, so don't know what that says. But then again I have sailed with some Captains and Mates with no certificates who were excellent navigators and seamen, (and yes even when they were out of sight of land, as I know some still think that coasting men have no abilities)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Certificates

Ivan recently mentioned in a thread about philipino certification. Everyone and I mean everyone had a big fancy certificate on the lines of the Liberian one. The storekeeper came up to me when he joined and asked where his typewriter was, I told him I did not possess one and his job was to mix the paint as required. Whatever nautical school at that time they passed through must have giving some of them with newly aquired cert. a wrong impression of their job. As people with no certs. I agree with what you say as sailed with quite a few who were excellent shiphandlers, the shipowner was quite prepared to pay the fines when they went above 60 north and outside the limits. A cert is a piece of paper and does not do the job, says you have satisfied someone else that you can. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default That would make every thing work again

Hi Shipmates, Will they have to wear long leather boots and carry a cat n' nine tails? for the naughty crew ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was the SA Vaal ( or the RMS Transvaal Castle as she was known with her earlier name ) , They had quite an army of females , like the Olympic rowing the Coxless variety . I understand that there was "favours " available at a price , which had a sliding scale dependant up on rank , but that was truly an urban legend . The Pendennis just had men who dressed as women , and the sex was free to all
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default females at sea

Years ago I briefly worked for a South African Company (we all know the one) We had 4 deck Cadets - males & 2 newly hired girls. It is in the nature of the beast that these two were immediately snapped up by the OM & Ch. Mate, and were sitting at the Captain's table in no time. Naturally, it was beneath their dignity then to clean hatches, chip and red lead steel or pull on nasty heavy mooring ropes! Assisting the watch officers was tried but discontinued as they got too tired! Eventually their main (daily) duties consisted mainly of typing letters, filling in forms and log extracts and such. Afternoons were spent bronzying or drinking GT in the bar. I had one with me, briefly, on the 12 - 4, but it was to cold all the time, so she had to remain in the wheelhouse or chartroom. Anyway, at that age the last thing I really wanted was a young bird breathing in my ear, whist I was trying to show her how to take a compass bearing, a difficult task. I got out of that ship shortly after, before I got myself in trouble !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    ..........The Pendennis just had men who dressed as women..
    In a book I have, 'Every Thursday at Four o'clock' the history of UCL there is a section devoted to the Pendennis Castle, or as she was then known, 'The friendly ship" Men dressed as women?????????
    Regular fashion parades were held on board her funded by Courtholds..
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S/ Ivan C,

Referring to your posts 21/22.

These type of comments were doing the rounds in the 60s and invariably on a 'hear say' basis.
    I witnessed a few incidents first hand but, that aside, it is what it is.

We should concentrate in getting our own house in order and from what I can see of those 'home grown' variety with STCW (2 one or 2 all) qualifications on the back of 'internal marking' and 'tick box' work experience booklets initialled by similarly qualified make me think of the 'blind leading the blind'.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Certificates

Bill, I think you should read post #21 again, it was not hearsay, as I was *sat next to a young Filipino* He showed me his ticket of which he was justifiably proud, and it was he who told me he had been offered the position as lecturer. Are you inferring that I am telling inexactitudes

Rgds Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill not a comment, an actual experience. Most posts I have read on here are from people who have experienced what they are saying. I dont think someone on being logged and losing money is speaking from hearsay. I have never inferred that the British seaman was an angel far from it, other type crews had as bad if not worse afflictions than British crews. When I said everyone had a certificate I meant it.
    I was on one steamer that the chinese cook went 3rd. Engineer so assume he also had some engineering knowledge. Regards John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John/Ivan,

The amount of times I hear undermining comments re third word seaman on this forum disturbs me. It was told back in the 60s when I made my first tentative steps foreign flag what to expect. You will have to sleep with a life jackets on etc, etc, and you will never be able to sail in a British ship again. None of it was true and pushed out by people who had never been in FOC ships.

As I said, get our own house in order and comment on what is dear to the majority of members on the site. The British Flag (of convenience)

Brgds

Bill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast