Thread: safety at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default safety at sea

Good morning,
    it now seems that there is written in the SOLAS 1974 agreement safety at sea, a right to return passengers or survivors of any description picked up at sea to return them to their port of embarkation.
    is it possible that there maybe a solution to the illegal immigration problem, if there is then why isnt it being used ?
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: safety at sea

It is also written in Solas that all distress messages must be acknowledged and assistance given as required depending on your closeness to those in distress.i would imagine the first thing of any survivor picked up. And the UK was their destination the first words they would utter would be political asylum. From there is a short route to the U.N. Rule book. JS

During the big influx of West Indians in the 50s and 60s the joke was their first words were National Assistance .
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th November 2022 at 11:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today or yesterday as the case may be , there are. 3 top of the pops voice messages. 1. Mayday . As most know as the old SOS of radiotelegraphy and means I am in need of immediate assistance for the safety of life , 2.. Pan an urgent message that I May be in dire straits very soon but at present there is no danger to loss of life. 3...Securitay a message put out to make other vessels aware of dangers or hazards that may effect them or their vessel , this could include bad weather reports , floating hazards in the Ocean , pirates in the area, or any hazard to navigation such as an oil rig under tow. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th November 2022 at 11:38 PM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Fouro, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As the name Oil Rig has been mentioned, I will let you all know that each year on the first Saturday of November (today), the UK Oil and Gas Chaplaincy maintains a Book of Remembrance Service to commemorate those who have died offshore in UK waters.
    The service is held in St Nicholas Kirk in Union Street, Aberdeen. Names of those who have died offshore in the last year are read out and a candle lit in their memory.
    The Book is placed at the front of the church. The offshore community remains a close knit community and it is hoped the existence of this Book together with the Annual Service will provide relatives with a little comfort knowing their loved ones are not forgotten and that they are listed alongside others who shared and experienced such a unique bond.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How far does the book go Fouro ? 1988 must have been a really big one 1989 a good friend of mine died in the North Sea , re the long list for 1988 at least 5 of those who took a prominent part in the deaths of so many , have since died that I know of , is their any way of sighting this book ? Has anyone put it on the Internet yet ? I still remember the Kirk of St.Nicholas it was packed at the initial Remembrance Service I was given two pew seats by the Aberdeen D.O.T. Even Maggie was there. Although I never noticed her there in the hundreds crammed into the Church and the thousands outside. If ever a city showed the loss it felt Aberdeen did on that day. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we take little notice of such at sea, if they ae illegals the boat is towed back to port of embarkation, or just turned back.
    It has been the policy for almost 20 years now and it works.
    With our coast line being as big as it is we still manage to police it.
    Why is it so hard to police the English Chanel.

I do of course understand very few Brits speak French!!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

July 2013 witnessed the 25th Anniversary of the Piper Alpha Disaster, a catastrophe which changedoffshore safety management and legislation in the North Sea beyond recognition. Many events were organised to commemorate the event but the industry also decided to mark the year by dedicating a Book ofRemembrance to commemorate all who have died offshore from the beginning of the industry to the present day.

Regards from
    Fouro.

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post