Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rigging

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rigging

As there are a few ex riggers on site maybe they could clarify a few salient points , I will give an actual example. In the early 60s I was mate on a ship coming out of dry dock on the Clyde. There were no crew on board and riggers were employed for the move into the river. The forward gang consisted of a foreman and about 6 riggers. Obviously they had just rolled out of the pub, during the course of events , think it was the foreman lost a couple of fingers , but managed to get him to a hospital. The following day the owner of the rigging company came to see me with a piece of paper to sign , saying the man had been intoxiated I refused to sign it. I also said I wasn’t qualified to say if he was drunk or not and the only person so qualified was the doctor who treated him. It also appeared to me that he had had no luck there either. It also appeared to me that the owner of the rigging company was trying to absolve the company of any blame by not paying compensation to the injured man. One of my queries In That period of time the 60s were the Rigging company’s not obliged to carry insurance for their workforce. My attitude after refusing to declare the mans sobriety was to state the ship was not on any crew
    agreement and was not up to the ship to have to explain any actions taken by temporary employees.The man did get compensated I am pleased to say, who paid I wasnt that too interested to find out. Maybe the shipyard itself may have paid. As was probably them who had used the rigging firm. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th December 2020 at 11:45 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rigging

John I would imagine any major company, such as a shipyard would carry Third Party Liability Insurance but would ensure that any subcontractor would also carry TPLI. I know my business had to, and also ensured any subby carried it also. Had damage been caused to the vessel by the riggers then the owners would have sued the Dockyard and upon settlement the Dockyard would have sued the Rigging company for the same costs plus legal costs for both actions. Of course in today's moral world the Rigging company would have declared bankruptcy and started up the next day under a different name and different directors thus absolving themselves of all liability.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, even back then all employers had to have some basic cover.
    But it does sound as if this one for some reason, maybe not paid up, wants to get out of it.
    As to the drink, as the employer I would consider it his responsibilty to his workers were fir to work.ensure
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe this post on looking back should have been titled Frigging in the Rigging after that infamous Seamans song adapted for the Occassion. Can’t remember the words or the melody it was sung to, but another good quiz one JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Probably nothing to do with insurance per say, the boss probably was told he had been drinking so wanted to absolve himself from any costs , similar to today's car insurance Companies, you have a crash and the police come and charge you with drink driving, ta ta your license and your claim.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do know that about the only time one could rely on a sober crew for letting go would have been in the UK. Simply because all the deck crew would have been skint or most of them. Still would not state that all would be sober either LOL. How many of us can say with hand on heart that they never turned to intoxicated I sure as hell can not and because of that would not be hypocrite in condemning others.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At some , hic, hic , time we all turned too a bit hic, worse for wear.
    It was part of our rites of passage and i doubt any one who ever took a drink can say otherwise.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

Training model Odessey works Birkenhead I think? just for interest and staying with the thread
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th February 2021 at 12:22 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Maybe this post on looking back should have been titled Frigging in the Rigging after that infamous Seamans song adapted for the Occassion. Can’t remember the words or the melody it was sung to, but another good quiz one JS

Twas on the Good Ship Venus.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref 8, thats when we deck crew had to earn our money, would not be rigged in 5 minutes. the dreaded word, we've got to rig the Jumbo at the next port. But you knew the overtime would be good, kt
    R689823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast