Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rigging

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rigging

[QUOTE=Lewis McColl;368713]I Did this practice come about as part of the recommendations from the Derbyshire enquiry. /QUOTE]

The carving note originated in the sailing ship days, hence its name. The official number in the Derbyshire days and long before was carved in the main thwartship beam on the aftend hatch coaming of the hatch immediately below the bridge structure. This was also true of vessels with midships accommodation, it was carved into the hatch coaming below the bridge accommodation. It must have been changed around the 70's to being allocated on external structure, one of the more sensible moves of IMO. I know on doing surveys on vessels that it wasn't always possible to see the carving on the coaming as there would be cargo stowed against the coaming, and it was never at the top of the coaming but always (in my experience) just above the lower rubbing bar where it was offered some protection from cargo runners being lead under the coaming to drag cargo out

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis #16 Tandem lifts as you described on a pedestal mounted on a vessel are one thing but from the shore to a vessel using two cranes is another matter. My employers would not sanction it, for insurance considerations. It required a lift master in charge guiding both cranes at that time with radio phones, tricky work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rigging a Jumbo was one of the best jobs that I did when going to sea. we took some trains to Aus , I couldn't wait to get stuck into all those wires and blocks, my one regret was I didn't have a camera.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3