Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New build orders

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New build orders

Why oh why can they not just get things right .
    Yet another balls up this time it is the Type 26 frigates

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...1bc92c7ef406af

But its construction continues to be plagued by delays – the latest of which has added £233m to the bill for taxpayers.

Is this basically the MOD continually sticking their nose in ? but reading the article it is both. Interference and yet again another major design flaw. The gear box this time.

The type 45's are only just getting sorted now HMS Daring was launched in 2006 and commissioned in 2009 already 13 years old. These things cost over £1Billion per ship some one is making a few quid.
    Last edited by James Curry; 20th November 2022 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=James Curry;408281]

Is this basically the MOD continually sticking their nose in ? but reading the article it is both. Interference and yet again

Ain't that the truth, I was an MOD contractor and had to jump through lots of hoops to become one, wish I'd never bothered. Agree a design, sign off agreement on machinery no use to anyone else, halfway through get a visit from someone new, change the design, me, 'that is going to cost money' them (always travel in packs) 'that doesn't matter', meant having to scrap half of what already built, but to the MOD they had lots of free money to play with, (this annoyed me as I was also a tax payer!). Your workforce also gets pizzed off and are also wondering are they wasting their time, because the fresh requirements may get altered again, and workers do have a pride in their work and want to achieve an end product, despite what people may think, it is not always a case of 'another day another dollar'

In the end decided the MOD was not for me, wasted too much time on paper work and bureaucracy when I could have been chasing private commercial business that showed me a profit. I can understand the cost escalations, but it doesn't mean there is always a profit in it for the supplier, they hate it when a new-in-charge-face comes through the door as it inevitably means another modification on something that is already built and they expect to have the modifications for free, when they are told that's impossible 'well okay, go ahead anyway'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw this similar disregard for money among servicemen themselves as well Ivan, the vessel I was employed on for nearly 4 years was on hire to the MOD . I am not complaining by any means as saved me arguing with the shipowner about replacement of ships gear. Being a diving support vessel and physically having to go on a. 4 point moor everytime to do so. The. Diving system consisted of 4. Bruce anchors with a. Mile of 3.25 inch wire on each these were replaced at regular intervals by the navy sighting minor damage to any wires . Working in a commercial world I would of carried on working with such until reached. The level as set down by the BOT . However am not as said complaining as the navy paid for them ,or as you say the taxpayer But when it comes to safety the Navy would win hands down. Whereas commercially it would be a begging bowl to the shipowner unless they had the vessel on bareboat charter . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st November 2022 at 09:54 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone remember the formula for the condemning of a work wire , it’s probably different today with the larger range of types of wire for different jobs. But to a lot of us A wire was constructed of 12 , 24. Or 37 wires to a strand and depending on the percentage of damaged wires to a strand and depending on the number of wires in that strand and the overall percentage of the damaged strands in the wire , depended its life in use . JS
    R575129

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS This is from notes I had from a wire rope examiners course done at Bridon, Singapore 2011. They sent us ( Barge engineers, rig mechanics, C/Es) on the course so we could carry out routine maintenance on offshore rig deck cranes wires and discard/replace them if required.

rope 2.jpg

UK003715

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, j.sabourn, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15. I know wire splicing and wire rope is a lengthy subject in its own right . But in my time at sea it all came under the heading of Nautical knowledge before I left ,a fancy name for seamanship.before I retired officially in 2002 wire splicing was out replaced by ferrels. I was quite often when on rigs asked to examine such wires with ferrels and sign the safety certificates, a job one had to learn oneself to do. I know I received no official training. Most damage to wires I found was the stowage of the wires on the drums of the winches caused by riding turns and this happened when the spooling gear was not working correctly. Cheers thanks your reply .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd November 2022 at 12:12 AM.
    R575129

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sturgeon thinks that if she gets her way, the RN will still build warships in Scotland. I would think for security reasons that would not happen as the woman also wants Faslaine closed rather than being turned into a Sovereign Base Area.

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2