Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Daniel Craig appointed honorary Royal Navy Commander

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Daniel Craig appointed honorary Royal Navy Commander

#9 Thanks for those kind words fouro already my head is feeling two sizes larger . Before a certain person sees it , and makes attempts to take a bite out of you, you would be best not to call yourself a morsel. I did make the effort at 15 to enter HM armed forces as a boy seaman but was knocked back by the paperwork and others who thought I wouldn"t suit a pair of bellbottoms. So I went ahead and became indoctronated into the society of the entrenpaur and the wealthy shipowner to protect his interests instead , I have no regrets on my time at sea , apart from maybe being poorer than I should have been. You would of thought during the 70 years in between my outlook would have changed, but it hasn"t . Cheers JS
    R575129

2. Likes Marian Gray, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here comes the bite, You would never have made it in the Royal Navy John , please do not take this the wrong way . I would never have you down as a Yes man 3 bags full sir. You choose wisely by joining the MN you probably avoided a court marshal for telling some toffee nosed Eton boy(that daddy had bought a commission for) to get stuffed.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On December 14th 1971. George Wallis, then Governor of the State of Alabama made me a Lieutenant Colonel and Aide de Camp in The Alabama State Militia.

I had a lot of fun with it. My three, then. Young sons were dyed in the wool "Yankees", And I had had my photo done in a Confederate uniform, complete with sword. I would tease them and tell them that if the Governor of Alabama "called me up" I would have to go, as I was assigned to the cavalry. They all told me that they would join the Yankees, but they wouldn't shoot at me.

When the Governor told me what he was going to do, I asked if it was possible that my assistant, Monroe Thacker also be honored for his work. He said sure, And Monroe also became a Lieutenant Colonel, Monroe, got a big bang out of it, because he came from Alabama, And unbeknown to the governor Monroe was "African American".

George Wallis was a notorious bigot and one of the last holdouts for segregation and running for President at the time and came nowhere.

Still I've still got the plaque announcing my certification and the photo in Confederate rig.

Cheers, Rodney

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always nice to get some recognition for your efforts Rodney ,something to look back on with your memories . I was a person who didn’t and still don’t like to be under a light for others to point at , but realise you can’t keep to being s recluse . The master of the Lowland Cavalier and 3 of his officers who launched a rescue boat , myself , and one of the nursing sisters from the Dreadnought seaman’s hospital were asked to attend a T.U.C. Meeting in Harrogate in. May 1991 . The meeting was attended by several well known celebrated persons , plus government officials from the DTI. This was for the launch of a new NUMAST AWARD as named as such and was to be presented every 3 years to anyone who had given good service to the shipping Industry , a record of such was to be kept in a large tome kept at Numasts head office. The title of the meeting that year was called Safety Through Professionalism, with various offerings. I believe the next one 3 years later was presented to the Canadian Shipping Minister . However when Numast went bush and went under a different title and also moved to the continent , and by that time I had shrugged off the past , and I made enquires about the Award , I could find out nothing .I do believe they still give it out , but must be in secrecy as have never seen it displayed in the media. Times change and so do people’s memories apparently . Anyhow I got an imitation Ships clock with a brass placard on it as a memento so is always in sight to remind me. Also a photo along the same lines as you describe . Also two days of entertainment among a few people of the same inclination and profession . Cheers JS .
    R575129

8. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to Rodneys post... If accepting an honour of any description one should always observe the manner on which it is accepted , and that is to observe ones obligation not to besmirch that honour, otherwise don’t accept in the first place. My only reason for trying to find out about the Numast Award , was to leave information for any kin of the future where to look if doing as so many seem to do these days tracing their ancestors. I can go back myself by word of mouth to great grandparents info. Passed on, my own kids have made journeys into the past the same way and got back as far as the 16th century. My own father passed onto me dubious information when he said we were realted to a family fleeing France during their revolution , this does not match up with the family name being Foy boat men on the Tyne 400 years ago. I put this down to people in family’s wanting claim to fame as French aristocracy , the same as my other side wanting a relationship with Mary Queen of Scots, never did fancy her myself. On my fathers mother side word of mouth that my great grandfather by the name of Chandler from Blyth was a windjammer man , I have never bothered to confirm or not , if other people believed that , who am I to say otherwise. Cheers JS
    R575129

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    My three, then. Young sons were dyed in the wool "Yankees", And I had had my photo done in a Confederate uniform, complete with sword. I would tease them and tell them that if the Governor of Alabama "called me up" I would have to go, as I was assigned to the cavalry.
    Cheers, Rodney

Reminded me of years ago:

KG C J.jpg KG C.jpg
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

12. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith.

If the adult is you...Yankee (Blue-belly) one year and Johnny Reb, the next. over here we would call you "A switch-hitter."

Cheers, Rodney.

14. Thanks Keith at Tregenna thanked for this post
    Likes Keith at Tregenna liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not as far back as the actual civil war but, moi.

"A switch-hitter." Think it was all on the same day or weekend, LOL.

Would have been early 80's, 1980's that is.

Keith.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2