Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Missing royal navy life ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing royal navy life ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Cappy, only ever sailed on one ship that had the engine control room on the bridge. it was only used as such during UMS hours.. I was lucky if I wanted to phone my wife I never even had to leave my cabin just pick the phone up and call her. The most comfortable ship I was on was the LNG Carrier British Merchant I did 4 years on her from a new build. Air con was Climate control I used to keep my day room at 25 degrees, my bedroom at 21 degrees, the bathroom had underfloor heating. I would say my cabin/suite was every bit as good as what some may have paid thousands for on a cruise ship first class even down to having a load of deck space just under the wings of the bridge.
    Lewis, I may have posted this before, but I spent aabout 3 years on lightening ops. in the Channel. Part of my duties was to check out various things on the vessel we were going to lighten.
    When I first went aboard the Bellamya (550,000 tons) I had to go onto the bridge to speak with the engineers as that was where the engine control room was (two engine rooms). They were longing around in slacks, shirts and open toed sandals, like a holiday camp. When I enquired about answering an alarm they replied that they would change and take the lift! Must have been a different set up from BP then.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th June 2021 at 08:03 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

~19 no idea John.

They say that when a nuclear submarines surface at the end of the 100 day, and when the hatches are opened the normal air that we breathe smells fowl to the submariner, as they have been breathing purifed air.
    After such a long patrol they are not allowed to drive a car for a few days as they as the perception of distance etc. due to their confinement.
    Vic

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Lewis, I may have posted this before, but I spent aabout 3 years on lightening ops. in the Channel. Part of my duties was to check out various things on the vessel we were going to lighten.
    When I first went aboard the Bellamya (550,000 tons) I had to go onto the bridge to speak with the engineers as that was where the engine control room was (two engine rooms). They were longing around in slacks, shirts and open toed sandals, like a holiday camp. When I enquired about answering an alarm they replied that they would change and take the lift! Must have been a different set up from BP then.
    So you have a problem in an engine room , could be anything, so you jump in the lift , it is a possible generator problem. So between floors the ship blacks out you are stuck in the lift waiting to be rescued. Oh!!! and the failed generator has had a burst fuel line which has sprayed fuel all over the hot exhaust. Now we have a fire, but not to worry you are stuck in the lift hoping your mates can put the fire out and also hoping that the smoke starting to fill the lift shaft will not get to bad before you are rescued. So how do you feel about taking the lift now Think for all their bullshit BP had the, don't take the lift to answer an engine room alarm rule right!!!
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 6th June 2021 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stuck in a lift, happened to me on the Windsor one day.
    Coming back from the First class bar with a tray of beers for the 8 to 12 coming off watch.
    Stay where you are I was told, we will get you out.
    Well they did, eventually but the engineers were not amused, beer was flat and some of the pints had shrunk.

Cappy, had a cousin of my mothers who was bosun on the London ferry ay Woolwhich.
    I used to go on and spend hours watching the engines run, fascinating stuff.
    Smell of the oil and to see the pistons moving was something I can still recall to mind.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late Dad (Bless his soul) was at one time only for one trip i found out, worked his passage to UK, thats another story.
    Anyway on this trip he was taken on in Cape Town as a Lift Attendant, and later in life told me and my late Brother a few stories about the Lift!
    Did not know that so much happened in a Lift at Sea! ??? Cant relate the Stories here sorry, but Wow! Some strange things happened!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    So you have a problem in an engine room , could be anything, so you jump in the lift , it is a possible generator problem. So between floors the ship blacks out you are stuck in the lift waiting to be rescued. Oh!!! and the failed generator has had a burst fuel line which has sprayed fuel all over the hot exhaust. Now we have a fire, but not to worry you are stuck in the lift hoping your mates can put the fire out and also hoping that the smoke starting to fill the lift shaft will not get to bad before you are rescued. So how do you feel about taking the lift now Think for all their bullshit BP had the, don't take the lift to answer an engine room alarm rule right!!!
    Firstly, it is common sense, secondly its usually top of the list on any fire course.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Who would agree with me that the thing we all feared at sea was fire. Bad weather at times caused concern but I think most of us had faith in the skill of the master and the vessels we sailed on.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 7th June 2021 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I for one would fully agree to that Lewis! Fire at Sea one of the worst i guess one can imagine! Thank the good Lord i never had an experience of that sort!
    Cheers

Had enough later in life though when in the Fire Brigade in Durban, some awful experiences we went through with Fire and Ambulance duties as the two were combined in Durban, you did both .
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Lewis, fire at sea all that water around you and the power goes down!!!!
    Only once on a ship with fire on board and that was in port, could have got very bad but thankfully brought under control after a very worrying time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brilliant :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast