Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sea mine on a beach in Cornwall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea mine on a beach in Cornwall

hi tony #16
    it was dejavu when reading your missive, it took me all the way back to when i went into my future mother in laws house for the first time.
    tom

2. Likes Marian Gray liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi ivan cloherty #20
    good morning,
    how so true after once having a similar discussion at the mess table a geordie sitting facing leaned over the table and butted me and broke my nose i forget if that was the first time it was broken but indeed it was broken as the mess table was covered in my blood, anyway after convincing the captain and the mate that i had slipped and broken my own nose all was quiet, until i next went ashore to meet my assailant where all was put to right.and although hands where never shook it was always a given that me and him should not stand too close together when at sea or ashore.
    did either of us learn a valued lesson i believe so,
    tom

4. Thanks cappy, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14. THE old marine percussion mine is what most people visualise today , and these were the type which decorated the promenades of the uk holiday resorts to put your pennies into. Today mines are much more advanced in the marine world and could even 30 years ago be tuned in to a particular vessels propellor noise which is peculiar to every individual vessel. As to submarine vessels the Belgrado Argentine warship was sunk by a wired torpedo and controlled to the point of impact. Today I would imagine most of us would be surprised at the technology involved in warfare of any kind. In 1980 41 years ago the listening devices laid on the seabed by certain foreign powers were designed mainly to record each individual vessels propellor noise so as to pick out that target as required . The stingray torpedo in its infancy was designed to do this also. The days of broadsides from cannons is long in the past. Horatio If came back today would be quite amazed. Cheers JS

PS wasn’t that businessman called Grenville Jones or something similar think Grenville was in the name at least. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd February 2021 at 11:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 Tony they were all probably working in hotels over here by that time, or if I remember rightly camping on the median strip from Marble Arch to Hyde Park Corner, the biggest camp was opposite the Dorchester Hotel, so as not to stray too far from the subject I believe it was a minefield for the coppers and politicians

7. Likes thomas michael, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #14. The old marine percussion mine is what most people visualise today , and these were the type which decorated the promenades of the uk holiday resorts to put your pennies into. Today mines are much more advanced in the marine world and could even 30 years ago be tuned in to a particular vessels propellor noise which is peculiar to every individual vessel. As to submarine vessels the belgrado argentine warship was sunk by a wired torpedo and controlled to the point of impact. Today i would imagine most of us would be surprised at the technology involved in warfare of any kind. In 1980 41 years ago the listening devices laid on the seabed by certain foreign powers were designed mainly to record each individual vessels propellor noise so as to pick out that target as required . The stingray torpedo in its infancy was designed to do this also. The days of broadsides from cannons is long in the past. Horatio if came back today would be quite amazed. Cheers js
    well i think horatio would be pleased kissing from hardy would be legal ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you think they would take their masks off and take the risk ? Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #14.

PS wasn’t that businessman called Grenville Jones or something similar think Grenville was in the name at least. JS
    Believe that was his name, the one that made the Press anyway, the name of the airline was TAMRON they used Russian built planes, not the latest word in luxury, the seats mostly steel and canvas, but it was the only way in and out by air. Normal transit-change over airport was Athens/Piraeus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never being at sea he would not understand how we thought the way we do.
    On number five hatch you begin with the weather and end up talking about the girls, that is how it goes.

But ashore as we all know any one subject will lead to another.
    One comment triggers the memory and off you go.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

furphy’ism
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When sailing to Dairen, used the echo sounder on the way in and out, but removed the paper on POB. Also marked a fe places on charts and a few bearings. While in HK, Master told me to go to the Gloucester lounge at 1500 and sit at table 21 and take our Dairen chart with me. Soon after I at down, a gentleman arrived and bought me afternoon tea, salmon and cucumber sandwiches, and asked to exchange charts. He handed me a new chart of Dairen.
    Same ship, running rice into Sourabaya, we had to bunker in Singapore. Did 3 round trips, and each trip a white unmarked launch would come alongside and an official in white shoes, socks shorts and shirt, but no badges would visit master and either leave or pick up an Olympus camera.
    On our last trip out, we saw the Indonesian fleet steaming in through the straights. Master retired to cabin and as each ship came abeam I would stamp foot over old mans cabin, he stood up and took photos. Got great pics, including 3 Russian built patrol boats.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast