Thread: HMS Ryde needs your help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HMS Ryde needs your help.

The Paddle Steamer Ryde Trust needs your help.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PSRyde/

After many years of unsucessful negotiations to acquire the Paddle Steamer Ryde, the Paddle Steamer Ryde Trust finally seemed to get a promising opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately for reasons unknown negotiations have faltered at the last moment, and the administrators of the site have commenced breaking the vessel up. Very much to the surprise of the PS Ryde Trust as they believed an offer of money was more in the creditors interest, than the expense of dismantling the vessel.

At the moment works have stopped, and this is likely to be the case for the next month as the demolition contractors now need to acquire licences to break up the vessel in its current location (which is sensitive in its nature as an SSSI)

So, what can you do?

Please visit the Ryde Trust website (http://www.psryde.co.uk), and contact if you can offer help, and even if you feel there is nothing you can offer, if you believe in our cause to try and save Ryde, and in the event of failing, try and set a greater protection for vessels of her nature, please sign the e-petition at:-

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PSRyde/

Many thanks for any help you can offer, and for signing the petition.

The Paddle Steamer Ryde, built in Peacetime as a ferry/excursion steamer, served during WWII on the beaches of Normandy, at Omaha, and as a minesweeper and anti aircraft vessel around the UK. On returning to peacetime service she continued her role as ferry/excursion steamer up until 1970, upon where she became a nightclub. By the mid 90s she had fallen into repair, and since then many many negotiations have taken place to save her. Now it is the eleventh hour, she is owned by administrators, and her rescue is about to go either way.

Please please help.

Thanks

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Sad

PS BARRY did not survive, if she had and could be given a new lease of life,

"ALL IN HER HOME TOWN" I am certain would back saving her, we have not the opportunity.

Wishing you every success, please advise if or how we may assist firther.

1907 - The PADDLE STEAMER `BARRY` - 2007

Cheers to the pleasure steamer – popular and fast,
    With a jaunty rake of funnel and bunting from the mast,
    Paddles swooshing easily foaming as they churn,
    Leaving wake – ruler straight, trailing there astern.

Her glossy shining paintwork of red and pearly white,
    Flying proud the ensign on halyard whipping tight,
    The cheering of the passengers leaning on the rail,
    And jingle of the telegraph when about to sail.

The fascinating engines steaming hell for leather,
    Captain's orders from the bridge open to the weather,
    Called upon in wartime years for such sterling work,
    Plus helping out the Navy and Army at Dunkirk.

One such vessel of renown was the P.S. Barry,
    Famous in the Great War for troops she had to carry,
    Outstanding in Gallipoli and last from Suvla Bay,
    Serving at Salonika toiled in danger's way.

She was built upon the Clyde one hundred years ago,
    Excursion fit for passengers on deck and down below,
    Registered in Barry - in her early years,
    Calling in the Channel ports mooring at the piers.

Ilfracombe or Weston, down to old Minehead,
    Burnham and the Mumbles - then home in time for bed,
    She gave so many people, hours of bracing pleasure,
    Merrymaking families enjoying days to treasure.

Later on in `twenty-six she worked our southern climes,
    Sailing out of Brighton and Hastings many times,
    Then sweeping mines in `forty-one on a fatal run,
    She perished in the North Sea, sunk there by the Hun.

It's right recalling history of South Wales long ago,
    Of local crew and seamen sailing to and fro,
    For they worked the paddle steamers giving them their power,
    In our favorite waters – from Bristol to the Gower.
    Joe Earl

The Paddle Steamer Barry was built for the Barry Railway Company's
    fleet and sailed on May 24, 1907, before leaving the Clyde to begin
    her pleasure steamer career from Barry and the Bristol Channel.

www.ss-tregenna.co.uk

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Mark
    A very worthy cause singing that petition,and i hope that many will take this up!
    I have done my little bit,and wish that i could do more,but am too far away!
    All the best and good luck with everything!
    Cheers

Also Welcome to this great site Mark,i hope you will be with us for a long time to come,and have many happy hours browsing through it!

You are now signed up to this petition. Thank you.

For news about the Prime Minister's work and agenda, and other features including films, interviews, a virtual tour and history of No.10, visit the main Downing Street homepage

If you'd like to tell your friends about this petition, its permanent web address is: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PSRyde/
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark
    I am very sorry to hear of the plight of the Paddle Steamer Ryde I realy thought you guys had saved her. I have sighned the petition and hope that in an election year the PM takes notice in the hope he mite gain some votes. Good luck with what you are doing
    George in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi lads. have just signed the petition.
    I think that the PC brigade have it wrong. they go round saving buildings that are just an eyesore but ignore worthwhile projects. cheers. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    Many thanks for your support. Yes, we thought we were on the home run too, so you can only imagine our shock when they took to the option of demolishion. Just hope we can raise enough support to show them that she is too valuable to the country to be lost.

Thanks again, and please keep signing and spreading the word.

Regards

Mark

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Sir,

SIR,

Please initially do not give up.

A post of mine on site gave some food for thought on this topic fairly recently -

THE CITY OF ADELAIDE

"Her tragedy sets a dangerous precedent for all traditional boats: she teeters at the top of a slippery slope. If the drawn-out deconstruction of the oldest clipper ship in the world is not a national priority then the future funding and preservation of all historical ships is under threat".

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2680

Advise all on site to commence an immediate campaign regarding such: If you have not dealt with your local MP before,, It may'be time to do so now. Enough contact, gaining just the one correct person may help. Please I urge you all to try.

K.

Will come back ASAP,

WITH THE BEST ADVICE THAT I CAN OFFER AND HOPEFULLY MORE FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Wish I could just answer your prayers, Surely this membership could all join in the petition, suggest all do, but also inundate youir own members of Parliament etc. Time is of the Essence.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 11th February 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I would imagine that you have both explored and exhausted many avenues, I do hope that you will succeed, I currently attempt a few thingS and find that those that I contact do not seem to work at both my pace or the pace of my expectatons however, I do and have recieved some genuine interest and continue to hope. Frustrating but hope rewarding.

As most of what I attempt is centred around my home town in Wales, I find that one e.mail addressed to Council or even the Assembly with a request to forward to all councillors, members etc, gets the message across. Hopefully, if one official takes it up, it may help further. Just wondered if you could do similar with MP's.

Also, I guess you are at an advanced stage, ( I TEND TO HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH, EACH TIME) . But, am always on the lookout for things I may need to use in the future. During a trip to Scotland a few months ago, apart from visiting the Adelaide as I was near, attempted to enquire further, I had missed campaigners by a day but, having a cuppa in the nearby cafe, came acrooss a small amount of museum artifacts in the foyer.

The best was actually inside a model of "WAVERLEY", she was superb. Cutting a long story short, travelling down the East coast towards home. Stopped at Eyemouth, a small town on the sea. Her Maritime Museum had been reccomended and after touring this picture perfect place, turned the next corner to see a huge wooden ship, was suprised to find she was a replica and was also the museum.

Looking for a fraction of this towns achievment for Barry, Wales, I enquired further, that possibly I could use all as an example for home. I was totally amased by what they had, they were proud. All had been achieved locally and I was told that they would be pleased to explain how all was done, I fully intend to ask further, if needed as a movement at home is making great headway in Barry, Wales.

Thought it could be of benefit to all that seek something similar and post details if required, I tend to seek all advise and use what I either can or what may be most suitable, could be worth a whirl.

A letter or mail etc, could help or not.

Regards,

K.

http://www.discovertheborders.co.uk/places/228.html

Tel: 018907 51701

Email: enquiries@eyemouthmuseum.co.uk

'World of Boats' is a collection of nigh on 400 boats and 300 plus models with supporting archive from across the world and spanning many centuries. At its core is the former Exeter Maritime Museum collection of Ethnic, European coastal, Day Sailing and other interesting craft of historic significance.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 11th February 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sign lads sign

We can't let another good bit of history go.
    In The USA they would make sure it was kept.
    Ron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The petition is going very strong indeed. Over 2400 signatures already. The Trust are trying hard to renegotiate with BDO Stoy Hayward (The adminsitrators) to rescue the vessel.

Fingers crossed we will have a sucessful outcome. The vessel is still viable for restoration, its just a case of whether we get the opportunity!!