Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: At last

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default At last

It has been announced today that after some intervention by the Australian Prime Minister the Victoria Cross has been posthumously awarded to the young Tasmanian Terry for his heroic efforts in WW2.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: At last

Yes at last , and what a shame that it had to take so long for this to happen.
    I am sure there would be many others too that well deserve to be awarded this sort of Medal for what they did during the War Years, but sadly many have been overlooked or just lost as the saying goes "In the Crowd"
    More investigations should be launched into such cases, and dug up so as many can receive their just rewards for what the did for their Countries and mates!
    With Respect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Sheean
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of medals handed out in war scenarios are a part of the protocol of the system. And I have heard of story’s from my relatives that after certain battles with the usual casualties that word would come from high that X number of certain types of Medal would be awarded. It was left to that divisional commander to recommend who received , and in a lot of cases it was put to the men themselves who deserved and they finished up drawing straws for. The fact is that those probably most deserving were dead. I have mixed feelings about medals war is fought on the theory that the strongest will prevail and is fought in anger and self preservation , so courage is always debatable. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2020 at 11:56 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I see some march in the parades one has to wonder how they got so many medals.
    Saw one man in the Anzac day parade a couple of years ago with so many he must have been struggling to stay upright with the weight..
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are mostly campaign ribbons and good conduct medals john. The good conduct ones. For the navy was I beleive 10 years of undetected crime. The Oz mn ones are 15 years of undetected crime of which I have three.
    Campaign ribbons as we all know by now were issued to all who served in that theatre of conflict. They look pretty and show to others who know what they are , what a good boy you were. Would certInly lighten up an off white boiler suit. Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th August 2020 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a fantastic result for Teddy and his family and friends who have pleaded his case for so long. Tonight I heard, the Queen has approved it. I only heard about it in the last few years after reading a book about HMAS Armidale. The situation she was put in by those in charge and so sunk was also a tragedy. There is a memorial to Teddy in Ulverstone, Tasmania which was already erected by those who cared.

My father served as Asdic officer on board the same Bathurst Class corvettes / minesweepers also built for the Royal Indian Navy.

I cannot believe the application for a VC was knocked back for so long. A young Ordinary Seaman who took it upon himself after Abandon Ship was ordered, to go back to the Oerlikon when he saw his mates being strafed by the ba$$@#d Japs in the lifeboats......unbelievable!!!

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I didn't see this post and posted the same sorry.
    I believe tha young Teddy was one of the bravest acts that I have read about, being only eighteen years old. I can imagine the puffed up twits in the upper echelon of the Australian Navy saying, " Can't have that old chap he's still wet behind the ears."
    I believe that there was something discovered in the Jap military museum, that helped with the result, maybe that one planes was shot down from under the sea?
    As I said in my other post I always go and stand in front of the plaque that commemorates young Teddy that is in our R.S.L. every time I go in there.
    Des

Lest We Forget
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 13th August 2020 at 01:48 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Melbourne at the Shrine of Remembrance there is a gallery full of medals.
    Most donated by family members of those who now have passed on.
    It is quite a sight to see as there are well over 2,000 of them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not a studier of medals , but wasn’t the Iron Cross 1st. 2nd. Or 3rd. Class one of Germany’s top awards. You never see any of the axis medals broadcast like others. Is this because they were supposedly on the loosing side ?
    Bravery is not only conclusive to one side of an argument , but brave people are not only of one side. The family’s and compatriots of all those who received awards for whatever should not be tied up with political agenda. The French Award the Cross of Lorraine or the Legion D” Honouer or whatever, seems to curry favour with most, even though France was never fully committed to the Allied cause. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th August 2020 at 06:47 AM.
    R575129

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. Soldiers, sailors and airmen serve because "Yours is not to reason why, yours is but to do and die".

The politics of the war dictate who is right or wrong and hopefully right wins in the end.

This I believe what happened in WW2. However I was saddened to see when visiting Normandy that at the German Cemetery, the French would not allow the Germans to bury their dead as can be seen in say the American Cemetery. They were allowed to bury in mass at a central "mound" and the other graves each contain parts of two bodies.....2 skulls, one each arm etc...... terrible!

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast