Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Black Tot day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Black Tot day

Neither of these excellent brands was the first Royal Navy supplier of rum—this honour goes to Lemon Hart (Lehman Hart) a Dutchman who settled in Penzance originally.
    Pathways to Legend | LemonHart Rum has an interesting article on Lemon Hart rum detailing the family business and the association with the Royal Navy in the 17th and 18th centuries.
    It’s difficult to source in the UK as is Four Bells—but both as well as Woods are from the Diamond Distillery on the banks of the Demerara river in Guyana.
    I can only source the Lemon Hart 151 when in Florida from Total Wine distributors a mega alcohol warehouse.
    The 151 is not for the faint hearted!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that it was from Guyana from the "Four Bells" distillery there and had to be watered down. Incidentally during my apprenticeship in the late 40's in the training centre we were making the letters from sheet brass for the serving keg on H.M. Ships, "The Queen God Bless Her".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dandy View Post
    I believe that it was from Guyana from the "Four Bells" distillery there and had to be watered down. Incidentally during my apprenticeship in the late 40's in the training centre we were making the letters from sheet brass for the serving keg on H.M. Ships, "The Queen God Bless Her".
    Four Bells was the standard rum on Shell ships and very good it was, but when the labelling changed from British Guiana to Guyana, the rum changed also, still good but not as good as the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captsamwhite View Post
    Neither of these excellent brands was the first Royal Navy supplier of rum—this honour goes to Lemon Hart (Lehman Hart) a Dutchman who settled in Penzance originally.
    Pathways to Legend | LemonHart Rum has an interesting article on Lemon Hart rum detailing the family business and the association with the Royal Navy in the 17th and 18th centuries.
    It’s difficult to source in the UK as is Four Bells—but both as well as Woods are from the Diamond Distillery on the banks of the Demerara river in Guyana.
    I can only source the Lemon Hart 151 when in Florida from Total Wine distributors a mega alcohol warehouse.
    The 151 is not for the faint hearted!
    I still have a drop of 151 from the Dominican Republic (Brugal) and as you say, be careful. Apparently some years ago, Canadian airlines banned the carriage of 151

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the last day the Tot was issued in 1970, a sad day and the loss of an old Naval tradition
    Remember the day well. I issued the rum on that day onboard HMS Rapid. We thought they would splice the main brace as well but it never happened.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back a bit but in the 70's when we had our two pubs we did at times carry Lemon Hart Rum.
    Bought from Trumans brewery back then.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2