Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building for the navy and RFA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Building for the navy and RFA

Found this on the internet today. Apparently theE.U. has rules that can make government's put out to international tender orders for supply vessels for navy fleets.
    https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/nati...uk-capability/
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Building for the navy and RFA

I think today maybe people are beginning to realise how the common market was a cover for more sinister achievements , the likes of raw power by individuals over ruling everyone’s sovereignty. Even in the most extreme circumstances of having to stay n the EU , people unless they don’t want to know are going to be aware of that the EU stands for. I’m still trying to find out what ghastly enemies Europe has to expect an attack from others to want to have a European army, is it true ? Or another fairy tale produced by the media.? JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EU rules for tendering of merchant shipbuilding are intended to avoid protectionism and that's why the RFA ended up building ships in Korea - or perhaps HMG just wanted the cheapest price? I have heard that some countries (France?) get round it by including a gun on board thereby changing the official designation from merchant vessel to warship. Warships are not covered by EU rules and thus can be built at home.
    Time for a bit of creative thinking at home?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3... Barry I would call forming a European army protectionism on a grand scale. JS

Lewis McColl Guest

So if the French stick a gun on their version of an RFA ship and can build them in France and the UK government opts for build in Korea, well all I can say is at least the French government obviously care about keeping their own nationals in work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Government invited tenders for the four Building of the four RFA shipyards, not one replied. The yards were busy on the construction of sections for the new carriers.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 29th November 2018 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    So if the French stick a gun on their version of an RFA ship and can build them in France and the UK government opts for build in Korea, well all I can say is at least the French government obviously care about keeping their own nationals in work.
    They have never been any different,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

South Korea is now officially the worlds largest ship building country.

So why go to any other with all their experience of building, and wages there are much lower.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

So why go to any other with all their experience of building, and wages there are much lower.
    Apart from size and production volume available, they are like most other yards, they will cut corners wherever unless watched like hawks.
    We have completed two major contracts in Korea fairly recently, Clair Ridge which was approx. 32,000 tonne topsides and Glen Lyon, an FPSO for BP.
    Our part in these jobs was completed mainly satisfactorily on the topsides job, but the floater was terrible. The workers we trained were kicked out after a couple of weeks and the yards own contractors (untrained) were installed. From there on it was a litany of non compliance reports being ignored, and eventually the BP inspector walked off the job in disgust. When it got round to Norway, major issues were found not just with our stuff (falling off in some areas) but with myriad other problems.
    Most of the Korean yards are in dire straits financially and are cutting corners and buying work, especially since Chinese yards are getting their act together and taking business.
    China will be the next big producer of pre assembled units for the LNG industry as they have demonstrated that they can produce to the quality required.

10. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Ken Norton liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Apart from size and production volume available, they are like most other yards, they will cut corners wherever unless watched like hawks.
    We have completed two major contracts in Korea fairly recently, Clair Ridge which was approx. 32,000 tonne topsides and Glen Lyon, an FPSO for BP.
    Our part in these jobs was completed mainly satisfactorily on the topsides job, but the floater was terrible. The workers we trained were kicked out after a couple of weeks and the yards own contractors (untrained) were installed. From there on it was a litany of non compliance reports being ignored, and eventually the BP inspector walked off the job in disgust. When it got round to Norway, major issues were found not just with our stuff (falling off in some areas) but with myriad other problems.
    Most of the Korean yards are in dire straits financially and are cutting corners and buying work, especially since Chinese yards are getting their act together and taking business.
    China will be the next big producer of pre assembled units for the LNG industry as they have demonstrated that they can produce to the quality required.
    Tony all I can say is that China must have upped their game as regards quality control. I was in Shanghai over a period of 18 months for the construction of 6 LNG Gas Carriers for a joint venture between CLISCO & BP. What a shambles build quality was disgrace. I was involved in the over seeing of the cargo handing machinery on deck and the Compressor house. I took 3 of the vessels into service , Gas trials, sea trials first load and discharge. I have never seen anything like it. It is not as if I was new to the game of commissioning ships LNG Carriers specifically having also done the same thing with BP Trader class vessel British Merchant. After the 3rd Chinese built one MIN LOU I refused to return to China for the other vessels. The ships were dangerous and the working in and around the shipyard was like being in a war zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

John, Korean ship building is only still around because the Korea Government bailed all the yards out from bankruptcy about 2 or 3 years ago. Every ship they had on order was being built at a loss. Also shipping companies were cancelling orders left right and centre.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast